Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #226
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
Marciano defended his title 6 times in 4 years. His reign was not very long, he pro boxed for 7 years then retired. he retired at 32 and some months. For someone who has never lost a match, I don't know what else you call it. You can say he went out on top, fine, but the guy went out on top because he knew he would lose to patterson.

Patterson only won gold medal in the olympics, Marciano would never had heard of him. Cus d'amato only made a major press release in 1954 saying Patterson was going to go for the heavyweight championship.

Archie Moore knocked down Marciano, marciano put down moore 5 times by round 9. Patterson annihilated him in 5 and Moore never got up. Patterson was younger, faster, hit harder and more evasive and had good endurance. By the time marciano retired Patterson knocked out 10 of his last 11 opponents. Further at that point Patterson had never been down either. And I use to see lots of moose and a moose is bigger, weighs more and is more scary than a grizzly it can be 7.5 feet tall weigh 1600 pounds and gore a bear dead.

Marciano's managers admitted that they would only match him up against guys he could defeat and asthe old axiom in boxing goes an undefeated fighter is usually one who just either dodged competitors or had a weak era. Old man walcott out boxed marciano for 13 rounds, you think a younger faster guy wouldn't? Marciano beat up alot of past greats, but they were all almost 40 in a time when the average man lived to be about 50 something.
According to boxrec, Jacques Royer-Crecy knocked him down in the 1st. Besides, he won his medal at the Olympics as a middleweight, that's really not a solid reason for Marciano to be afraid of him. The way I see it, Rocky could have continued to fight and defend his title for at least 1 or 2 years untill Floyd becomes a worthy contender.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #227
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

yeah Rocky could have continued defending his title but he ran out of 40 year old men to beat up on and run circles around.
hernanday is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #228
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
yeah Rocky could have continued defending his title but he ran out of 40 year old men to beat up on and run circles around.
please do some more research...
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #229
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

Quote:
Charles was 33 years old. Maybe not exactly prime, but not 40 year old man either. ****ell was 27, LaStarza was 26. That's better, at least in my opinion, than defending your title against Pete Rademacher in his pro boxing debut.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #230
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Marciano defended his title 6 times in 4 years. His reign was not very long, he pro boxed for 7 years then retired. he retired at 32 and some months. For someone who has never lost a match, I don't know what else you call it. You can say he went out on top, fine, but the guy went out on top because he knew he would lose to patterson.

Patterson only won gold medal in the olympics, Marciano would never had heard of him. Cus d'amato only made a major press release in 1954 saying Patterson was going to go for the heavyweight championship.

Archie Moore knocked down Marciano, marciano put down moore 5 times by round 9. Patterson annihilated him in 5 and Moore never got up. Patterson was younger, faster, hit harder and more evasive and had good endurance. By the time marciano retired Patterson knocked out 10 of his last 11 opponents. Further at that point Patterson had never been down either. And I use to see lots of moose and a moose is bigger, weighs more and is more scary than a grizzly it can be 7.5 feet tall weigh 1600 pounds and gore a bear dead.

Marciano's managers admitted that they would only match him up against guys he could defeat and asthe old axiom in boxing goes an undefeated fighter is usually one who just either dodged competitors or had a weak era. Old man walcott out boxed marciano for 13 rounds, you think a younger faster guy wouldn't? Marciano beat up alot of past greats, but they were all almost 40 in a time when the average man lived to be about 50 something.

Not many fighters were the same after a fight with Marciano, Rex Layne was totally ruined and he was young as well as the 6'4 Carmine Vingo, Moore was on his best run ever leading up to Marciano and Walcott was one of the fittest men to put on gloves at 38...Charles was 32 and fresh off 2 electric KO's ....You have your facts twisted Patterson was not even really considered to fight Marciano, he had lost to light heavyweight Joey Maxim and Cus wanted no part of Marciano and was going to stay at 175lbs if Marciano did not retire...Floyd got dropped in almost every fight and was KO'd by the crude Ingo, You would have to really love Floyd to give him any kind of chance vs an aggressive 2 fisted puncher....Moore took one of the worst beatings of his life vs Marciano and a beat-down like that is hard to recover from in such a short period of time.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #231
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Who would have Rocky Marciano defended his title next, before he retired.

???
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #232
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Who would have Rocky Marciano defended his title next, before he retired.

???
Willie Pastrano.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #233
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think maybe,,,,,,

Bob Baker, the 'Pittsburg Banging Heavyweight'

A 6' 2" 212 lb. - 29 year-old, with a record of 44-5-1 (19 KO's).

Bob had won '13-straight', including a Decision over Nino Valdes in December 1955.
Bob's last loss, a (L TKO 9) to 'Ole Man River' Archie Moore in March 1954.

Bob Baker had all the 'attributes',,,,,,, big, strong and so sloooooooow, and with only
'mediocre' punching power.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #234
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Willie Pastrano.

Nino Valdes, Floyd Patterson, or bob baker in 1956. Most likely Patterson.

Al Weill only fought top rated heavyweight contenders, Pastrano was not even Ring Magazine top 5 at the time
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #235
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
I think maybe,,,,,,

Bob Baker, the 'Pittsburg Banging Heavyweight'

A 6' 2" 212 lb. - 29 year-old, with a record of 44-5-1 (19 KO's).

Bob had won '13-straight', including a Decision over Nino Valdes in December 1955.
Bob's last loss, a (L TKO 9) to 'Ole Man River' Archie Moore in March 1954.

Bob Baker had all the 'attributes',,,,,,, big, strong and so sloooooooow, and with only
'mediocre' punching power.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Baker did not have slow hands
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #236
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post

Nino Valdes, Floyd Patterson, or bob baker in 1956. Most likely Patterson.

Al Weill only fought top rated heavyweight contenders, Pastrano was not even Ring Magazine top 5 at the time

I know, I know.....

Just felt in a random mood.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #237
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I know, I know.....

Just felt in a random mood.
I wouldn't have minded a fight with Pastrano. Very skilled fighter. He just had nothing to keep Rocky off of him.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #238
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I wouldn't have minded a fight with Pastrano. Very skilled fighter. He just had nothing to keep Rocky off of him.
Go check out what I just posted in the thread entitled " you have to have this book in your life. "
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #239
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Baker would have been interesting and so would Valdes but Baker was KO'd by Archie in 8 and Satterfield in 1 round and Valdes blew the chance losing to Satterfeild in 1955, he got dropped bad for a 9 count and lost decisively and that was about a month before Marciano's last fight with Moore making Valdes much less marketable.....Floyd was still fighting at 166lb in the beginning of 1955, In fact his highest weight was 175 in 1955 until the end of the year December where Floyd weighed 178lbs vs Jimmy Slade, Marciano was already retired 4 months...Pastrano fought Archie at 185lbs and may have been a decent payday but like Suzie said he had no power....I think the division was pretty dry for money fights for Rocky
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #240
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

yancey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum