Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
Ok, fair enough, but it seems like a huge amount of boxers end up with alzheimers or parkinsons or going blind.

But even as playing football offense for many years I only really say I got 2 hits to the noggen on average per season, like one that would make me shake my head or whatever. I guess in football you can get a broken collar bone or a broken leg but I don't see Joe Namath sitting in a wheel chair from parkinson. I don't see wayne gretzky with alzheimer. Sure they have other health problems, like bad back, bad knee, but I don't see them with messed up hormone levels which can cause you cancer later in life. Rugby is a tough sport and there are bones you can break and concussion is realistic, in fact someone died playing rugby when I was in highschool. Plus half the people playing organized sports aren't even playing the whole game. Plenty of people playing pro and non pro hockey are just playing 20-30 minutes not the whole 60 minute game half the time the people are on the bench and only the truly top players get to play the whole game. Boxing isn't like that, your fighting 3-4 rounds in amateurs even if your tired. You can't just go on the bench.
Yeah no one gives a shit about your personal anecdotes, look at some studies. Boxing isn't unique or more dangerous than other contact sports.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Yeah no one gives a shit about your personal anecdotes, look at some studies. Boxing isn't unique or more dangerous than other contact sports.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That supports my anecdotal stories. Boxers are more likely to get a concusion, you'd be hard pressed to find a pro boxer who wasn't concused and the better you are the more likely you are to get concussed. And unlike football when you get knocked down in boxing you continue to box
hernanday is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That supports my anecdotal stories. Boxers are more likely to get a concusion, you'd be hard pressed to find a pro boxer who wasn't concused and the better you are the more likely you are to get concussed. And unlike football when you get knocked down in boxing you continue to box
That was just an explanation of what concussion is that I posted since you don't seem to understand much on this issue.
I also said have a look at the research, there is plenty out there showing how dangerous sports like football are. The reason why they are more dangerous than boxing is because players get concussed, continue playing then play again next weekend, possibly getting concussed again. In boxing if you get concussed the ref will often call off the fight and then you have long periods before you fight again.
Your statement "The better you are the more likely you are to get concussed" is also a very odd statement.
If you think boxing is unreasonably dangerous then don't participate, simple.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #20
hifiboy

I know this is not a rugby thread, so I apologise for going off topic, but a major danger in rugby is getting spear tackled i.e. picked up and dumped on your head by two 250lbs men. This is the cause of many spinal injuries. Also, I received a concussion from smashing my head into another players hip bone, and their are many clashes of the head.
hifiboy is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #21
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Wow. Are people really that dense they can't comprehend that very simple point I made? I didn't compare rugby to boxing in any way.
your point is invalid because its two different things
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #22
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
your point is invalid because its two different things
His point was that if you play a dangerous sport, if you enjoy it you accept the risks.
What don't you understand?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #23
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

Quote:
His point was that if you play a dangerous sport, if you enjoy it you accept the risks.
What don't you understand?
i played ncaa football, its a completely different thing than getting punched in the head week after week for years.... having done both i think i would know
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i played ncaa football, its a completely different thing than getting punched in the head week after week for years.... having done both i think i would know
Are you a bit slow? It doesn't matter what sport you've played or what you're comparing it to, that's not the point.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #25
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

Quote:
Are you a bit slow? It doesn't matter what sport you've played or what you're comparing it to, that's not the point.
sure thing pal.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #26
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
sure thing pal.
I may as well be talking to a brick wall Do you seriously not understand? Maybe you should get some scans done yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #27
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
That was just an explanation of what concussion is that I posted since you don't seem to understand much on this issue.
I also said have a look at the research, there is plenty out there showing how dangerous sports like football are. The reason why they are more dangerous than boxing is because players get concussed, continue playing then play again next weekend, possibly getting concussed again. In boxing if you get concussed the ref will often call off the fight and then you have long periods before you fight again.
Your statement "The better you are the more likely you are to get concussed" is also a very odd statement.
If you think boxing is unreasonably dangerous then don't participate, simple.
Right

I am not disputing football is dangerous, but to me a sport where you get an concussion get up and can get 2 or 3 more concussions in a span of minutes is clearly more dangerous in the long term than one where you get a concussion come back a week later and get a 2nd concussion. And in your estimation, how long between concussions would a fight fight again.

Someone like Ali or Louis or marciano or hammerin hank probably got more concussions than someone who got their butt beat 3-4 times them quit. And while Marciano was never knocked out, when you reach that level of skill, often times you can be fighting when you are concussed ie. fighting while being "stunned" without going down because at that level of skill its just instinctual. Ie. think trevor berbick vs mike tyson, had trevor had marciano's chin, there is a good chance he'd not fall down and just keep swinging away off instinct but that doesn't mean he is any less hurt.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I think you are missing the point. The guy played ncaa football, I played highly competitive football, there simply is no comparasion.

Football has a way shorter season, and there are many games where you will have no incident and your head will not be touched nor injured. Every time you box or spar your head WILL GET HIT, and if you want to be a great or very good boxer you're going to need a deep amateur background or just be grossly skilled.

In football rugby whatever, there is a moderately-low risk you will get a big to moderate injury like a hit to the head, ie. might happen a 2-3 times over a few seasons In boxing you get punched in the head every time.

Obviously boxing you accept the risk, but my question was not if you accept the risk, it is are you concerned you could go blind at 50, or end up with a bunch of tubes up your nose from a brain blood clot, or whatever. Its a valid question. Its like asking are you concerned you will end up with cancer as an x-ray tech.

I am not sure if the average person who goes into boxing knows how dangerous it can be.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #29
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

sorry double post delete
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #30
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Right

I am not disputing football is dangerous, but to me a sport where you get an concussion get up and can get 2 or 3 more concussions in a span of minutes is clearly more dangerous in the long term than one where you get a concussion come back a week later and get a 2nd concussion. And in your estimation, how long between concussions would a fight fight again.

Someone like Ali or Louis or marciano or hammerin hank probably got more concussions than someone who got their butt beat 3-4 times them quit. And while Marciano was never knocked out, when you reach that level of skill, often times you can be fighting when you are concussed ie. fighting while being "stunned" without going down because at that level of skill its just instinctual. Ie. think trevor berbick vs mike tyson, had trevor had marciano's chin, there is a good chance he'd not fall down and just keep swinging away off instinct but that doesn't mean he is any less hurt.
If you can continue fighting your concussion obviously is a low-grade concussion, that's got zero relevance to how skilled a fighter is.
Footballers can receive multiple concussions in a game, boxers can during a fight as well. Boxers generally have at least a month off after a fight (mandatory if they lose by stoppage) while football players play week after week with full contact training. Second impact syndrome is the big risk with concussions and most commonly occurs in team sports like football.
I'm not saying boxing isn't dangerous, it obviously is. If I had a kid I'd prefer him to box than play football though, there is little evidence that amateur boxing is harmful to health while there is mountains of research showing the dangers of high school football.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing