Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Desire...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
There are many good boxers in the lower weight division. Guys like Moreno, Donaire, Rigondeaux, Nishioka, Mares, Gamboa (if he's still alive).
True, I thought of Donaire and gamboa but couldn't remember his division

So why are big guys so unskilled compared to their smaller counterparts?
hernanday is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

there was more people doing boxing years ago thus rising the standard
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Why were "the oltimers" better ? Simple...When you have 10 times the amount of fighters than today, fighting so damn more often, under the guise of full time professional trainers, it stands to reason that by sheer experience learning your craft
that the fighters of the past HAD to be better...Of course there are a few fighters today that would be competitive with the fighters of the 1940s, but only a rare few...
If experience doesn't count, why is there 4 years to complete college rather than one year ? I'm for example, on the internet about 2 years, and I type SO much better than when I first hit the keys...Experience... When the boxers of the 1940s fought 15 or so fights a year, against all styles, fighting the fighters the PUBLIC demanded ,you get
tougher and more well rounded fighters. Common sense I think...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

True burt but there were no amateurs either so you started out pro.
hernanday is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Back then fighters would fight, they would go to the death to get a victory, i always think of Joe Frazier in the Thrilla in Manilla wanting to rather die than let Ali beat him, fighters back then had to fight for what they got, if you look at the way they grew up you can usually see why they fought as hard as they did.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #22
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Been repeated many times. The idea that old-timers were more skillful and better in general than contemporary boxers is a psychological fallacy. Read the experts' or trainers' opinions about contemporary fighters from 30 years ago, 50 years, 100 years ago, they all claim that the past boxers/trainers were better, and many old-school skills have been lost, modern boxers are crude and tough, lacking skills, and champions and top contenders are not fighting meaningful fights very often and are all about money, picking weak opponents, etc etc. Bullshit, plain and simple. Experience is important, but not as much as many like to believe. If the fighter is average, he'll stay average even if he has 500 bouts, he'll still lose to a youngster with better physical attributes and only 10 fights.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Clearly boxing has deteoriated technically. Lesser talent pool spread over more weights. Risk makes the fighter 'great' so the more recent operator will not garner the achievements to put him on the level of a great chanpion from era's gone by.This is not psychological.

I'm not actually sure anyone in the last 15 years has a better resume than Gil Turner.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #24
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Because unlike the fighters of today, These fights were fighting for there lives, they're training regimens were far beyond anything these fighters do in training camp and that probably goes for the fighter for the past 50 years ( bad Training ), These guys chopped wood for eight and then would go run 20 miles or more, spend about 4 hours on the bags, and then go run another 20 miles. EVERDAY!..It was just a different breed of man and fighter than we have today tough times makes tough fighters especially when your fighting to literally put food on the table, that make you one tough Son of a Bitch .
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #25
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
True burt but there were no amateurs either so you started out pro.
Dude this dude is Senile youll have to excuse him..Im pretty sure he doesnt even know where he is
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #26
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=hernanday;13944111]Modern boxing only started in the late 1800s, in England like 1880/90s under the current rules. How were old time trainers so good when the average person never even travelled more than 15 miles from their home? Yet today people can travel anywhere easily get boxing information, watch tapes in slow motion of greats, and we have a dearth of good fighters.

Boxing is one of the strangest sports in this manner in that when we speak of many of the greatest in the sport we speak of guys from almost over 100 years ago, tunney, johnson, corbet, joe gans,dempsey and so on. One would imagine with all our technology, video footage, devices to measure power of a punching technique, someone would have put it all together and have made a stable of near invincible boxers. But instead what you find is almost a gradually decline of the skill set of boxers since the 70s. I heard some old timers blame it on amateur boxing because they say it makes boxers focus on the wrong thing from early on. What I find even more strange is guys who should be good because their dads were great boxer's aren't ie joe frazier son should have tore up the 80s.[/quote

Great thread my man!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #27
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=burt bienstock;13945890]Why were "the oltimers" better ? Simple...When you have 10 times the amount of fighters than today, fighting so damn more often, under the guise of full time professional trainers, it stands to reason that by sheer experience learning your craft
that the fighters of the past HAD to be better...Of course there are a few fighters today that would be competitive with the fighters of the 1940s, but only a rare few...
If experience doesn't count, why is there 4 years to complete college rather than one year ? I'm for example, on the internet about 2 years, and I type SO much better than when I first hit the keys...Experience... When the boxers of the 1940s fought 15 or so fights a year, against all styles, fighting the fighters the PUBLIC demanded ,you get
tougher and more well rounded fighters. Common sense I think...[/quote

SENILE!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think 24 hour weigh in's actually encourage fighters to try and shed more weight. Spending less time on honing their skills.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #29
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Clearly boxing has deteoriated technically. Lesser talent pool spread over more weights. Risk makes the fighter 'great' so the more recent operator will not garner the achievements to put him on the level of a great chanpion from era's gone by.This is not psychological.
There's no "clearly", it's only an opinion that is not based on anything factual. If you decide to look for it, you'll find plenty of excellent technicians nowadays. Or, if you go from the opposite end, you can find plenty of technical mistakes about any supposed ATG technician. No matter how great Eddie Futch or Ray Arcel were, if they had an average boxer, they wouldn't be able to make a first-rater out of him. No matter how great they were, you'd find their fighters making mistake after mistake.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #30
louis3749
Journeyman

Biggest reasons: Greater mental toughness, dedication, fought more often(experience), and a better skill set(more body punching, and feinting), particularly in defense(open glove blocking, parrying and slipping, and shifting/only necessary footwork.)
louis3749 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum