Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: What's the limit for Stefan Struve?
Potential champion 10 23.81%
Koscheck-like - top-level guy for years, loses his title shots 9 21.43%
Respectable gatekeeper for the division's elite 19 45.24%
Pretty much maxed out right now 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #46
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: What's the ceiling for Stefan Struve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
This.

SS, everyone else isn't wrong, you are just confused.

Also, great striking isn't the cornerstone of killer instinct. We are discussing MMA, where grappling and submissions are a thing. Struve, when on the ground, is constantly looking for the finish. There is rarely a moment in a fight where Struve isn't looking for the finish, be it on the feet, on or the ground.

Basically killer instinct, I would say, is ability to finish, willingness to put yourself in a potentially bad position to get the finish, and always looking to capitalize when you have your opponent hurt.
i wouldnt call goin for subs having great killer instinct, its his quality jits that allows him to go for the kill not supreme killer instinct, you say its ability to finish which is fair but struve lacks that ability on the feet to finish fights he struggles and always had on his feet

imo killer instinct is more finishing someone in impressive fashion with one killer shot, combo or series of GnP when they are there for the taking especially when rocked, struve does not have this, he is quite awkward on his feet and lacks the ability to finish fights in a manner that some one with good killer instinct would

i aint confused i know what killer instinct is and struve has yet to prove to me that he has the best killer instinct in the division (which dont forget is what the main issue with me and haggis here)he is pretty far down that list on my card especially considering he has yet to face constant upper tier fighters
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #47
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
imo killer instinct is more finishing someone in impressive fashion with one killer shot, combo or series of GnP when they are there for the taking especially when rocked
Sound like a perfect description of this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
i aint confused
So everybody else is wrong, and you are right?

Quote:
i know what killer instinct is
No, you don't. You haven't given a clear definition of what it is, even after multiple posters have explained it to you.

You going on about striking skills and resume shows that you don't know.

And for your question - YES, two untrained drunks brawling - one of them CAN demonstrate markedly superior killer instinct.

Two eight year olds in the playground - one CAN demonstrate aggressive killer instinct above his peers.

You. Don't. Know. What. You. Are. Talking. About. You. ****ing. Halfwit.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #49
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
no shit numb nuts, that was my point it shouldnt of been there in the first place
And yet more than 1/3rd of the voters have identified Struve as a potential champion.

This poll is not about finding out what YOU think about Stefan Struve. It's about finding out what the group thinks about Struve's potential. Another very simple concept that an average 8 year old could surely understand. Unfortunately, it's way out of your intellectual grasp.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #50
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Sound like a perfect description of this

bad example of good killer instinct as moorecraft was already doomed from the first right hand and it was made pretty easy for stefan considering the dude managed to pin his own arm to the deck, even haggis might look to have good killer instinct against someone in a position like that

we see better examples of clinical finishing at nearly every UFC event than that one so how you guys think he has the best killer instinct in the HW's is laughable
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #51
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Killer instinct is going for the kill when you have injured the opponent

A lack of killer instinct would have been Aldo not going for the kill

Now lets celebrate
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Naa i think BigFoot would absolutely man handle Struve, i like Werdum for Struve, he's called Werdum out, and i think Struve has every chance of beating him
Werdum is superior to Big Foot, and he's come on since their matchup as well. His standup is much improved and his jits is sicker and slicker than Struves. He's a big heavyweight and can hold his own with bigger guys as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #53
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
i wouldnt call goin for subs having great killer instinct, its his quality jits that allows him to go for the kill not supreme killer instinct, you say its ability to finish which is fair but struve lacks that ability on the feet to finish fights he struggles and always had on his feet

imo killer instinct is more finishing someone in impressive fashion with one killer shot, combo or series of GnP when they are there for the taking especially when rocked, struve does not have this, he is quite awkward on his feet and lacks the ability to finish fights in a manner that some one with good killer instinct would

i aint confused i know what killer instinct is and struve has yet to prove to me that he has the best killer instinct in the division (which dont forget is what the main issue with me and haggis here)he is pretty far down that list on my card especially considering he has yet to face constant upper tier fighters
By acknowledging that he goes for the kill you're acknowledging he has killer instinct.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #54
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
bad example of good killer instinct as moorecraft was already doomed from the first right hand and it was made pretty easy for stefan considering the dude managed to pin his own arm to the deck, even haggis might look to have good killer instinct against someone in a position like that

Clearly you haven't seen the fight. You're looking at a comeback KO there. Stephan was getting badly beat up for the rest of the fight.

You're definition is getting even more absurd. You can't hurt you're opponent before finishing them and display killer instinct? You are really reaching. Just admit that you don't like Struve and we can move on. That gif shows literally everything you consider killer instnict by your definition.

Next you will say that this is a bad example because Lindland was hurt by the first big left...

Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #55
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:

Clearly you haven't seen the fight. You're looking at a comeback KO there. Stephan was getting badly beat up for the rest of the fight.

You're definition is getting even more absurd. You can't hurt you're opponent before finishing them and display killer instinct? You are really reaching. Just admit that you don't like Struve and we can move on. That gif shows literally everything you consider killer instnict by your definition.

Next you will say that this is a bad example because Lindland was hurt by the first big left...

its the ability to finish someone off impressively when they are rocked, there was nothing impressiv in putting someone away who had pinned there own arm to the mat and was pretty much out of it anyway with no form of defence left, the ref in that fight was miles too late also

i dont dislike struve, i think its actually posters who like him too much and somehow think he has the best killer instinct in the division. Do you?

no ****ing way does he have close to the best killer instinct in the division its not even close
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #56
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
its the ability to finish someone off impressively when they are rocked, there was nothing impressiv in putting someone away who had pinned there own arm to the mat and was pretty much out of it anyway with no form of defence left, the ref in that fight was miles too late also

i dont dislike struve, i think its actually posters who like him too much and somehow think he has the best killer instinct in the division. Do you?

no ****ing way does he have close to the best killer instinct in the division its not even close

Can you point to any fight where Stefan Struve fought cautiously to pile up points or protect a lead or win a decision. At any stage in the fight. Can you point us to that match?

Or was he aggressively looking for a stoppage finish in every minute of every round in every fight, as illustrated by the fact that none of his fights ever get out of the second round.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Frank Mir has the best killer instinct in the division. I'm not saying he is the best fighter at all, but if he sees a chance to finish you he jumps all over it.

Struve has it too. If he sees a sub he takes it. If he thinks he can finish you he goes for it. There isn't much more to be said about it.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Struve is always fun either way only thing that bothers me is his loses to Nelson and Browne.
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #59
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
Struve is always fun either way only thing that bothers me is his loses to Nelson and Browne.
4oz gloves can have that effect.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #60
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998 View Post
Frank Mir has the best killer instinct in the division. I'm not saying he is the best fighter at all, but if he sees a chance to finish you he jumps all over it.
Yeah Mir has it for sure. He's one guy that, if he's in against one of your favourite guys and the fight is on the ground, you're always shitting yourself.

But Mir is primarily aggressive on the ground. He doesn't really have much appetite for a blood and guts, back and forth standup war. Struve loves to get in the trenches, so I give him the edge. Mir is more dangerous with his fast and brutal submissions, but Struve is always going for submissions too. He's just not as good at them as Mir is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998 View Post
Struve has it too. If he sees a sub he takes it. If he thinks he can finish you he goes for it. There isn't much more to be said about it.
No no, Struve can't be considered to have top-shelf killer instinct, for some reason. Now watch me somehow try to defend that idiocy for 10 posts.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum