Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Nathan Cleverly vs Ryan Coyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
well have you seen him fight? were you pissed of when Bellew was named as his 1st defense?

I've seen him, he's good, but that's it, just good. and not in a "wow this kid is GOOD!" kind of way.

you also have Steve Lillis saying its "all about a US showcase" showcase fights are for prospects, ala George Groves vs Sierra, not for a world champion
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Everyone says that Calzaghe should have done this: fight on a big US card and get some exposure in the states. Cleverly does it they are still not happy.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #48
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Genius View Post
Everyone says that Calzaghe should have done this: fight on a big US card and get some exposure in the states. Cleverly does it they are still not happy.

I wish more international fighters would fight in the states every once in a while, but its the opponent people have a problem with
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
I wish more international fighters would fight in the states every once in a while, but its the opponent people have a problem with
Who were you expecting at such short notice? The hardcore US fans know who Cleverly is, this is a chance to introduce him to a wider audience. I trust the long-term plan. For me this is a very good move indeed. If the big fights don't happen next year, then I will complain.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #50
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
well have you seen him fight? were you pissed of when Bellew was named as his 1st defense?
I'm a big Bellew fan and even though I knew he'd run Cleverly close, I don't think he did deserve a world title shot. The best win of his career up until that point was beating Ovill McKenzie, which is simply not good enough to demand a world title fight. On ability, Bellew was worth it, of course, but the fact is, if a Ukrainian fighter had got a world title shot and his best was was someone with 10 losses, we'd all be annoyed. Rightly so too.

Bellew was rushed into the fight, in my opinion. He lost a close decision but if he fought Cleverly now, he'd beat him. The fight between them two was rushed and came before Bellew had earned and was ready for a world title shot.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #51
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
I've seen him, he's good, but that's it, just good. and not in a "wow this kid is GOOD!" kind of way.

you also have Steve Lillis saying its "all about a US showcase" showcase fights are for prospects, ala George Groves vs Sierra, not for a world champion
I don't view Nathan as a world champ, he's really at Euro level and was just fortunate to come into a belt. The marketing annoys me, but it's not that big a deal.

The problem is that Clev's team are so clueless, Frank is almost being forced to make these match-ups. If he goes in with any decent world level guy, Nathan will get beaten. Simple as that. Pascal, Cloud, Dawson, Hopkins, Shumenov, and Campillo would all beat him.

Until Nathan brings in some professionals to his corner, it will be softly softly. He very nearly lost to Bellew and that will not have been lost of his very astute promoter.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #52
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Who were you expecting at such short notice? The hardcore US fans know who Cleverly is, this is a chance to introduce him to a wider audience. I trust the long-term plan. For me this is a very good move indeed. If the big fights don't happen next year, then I will complain.
You are such a cheerleader.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #53
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I don't view Nathan as a world champ, he's really at Euro level and was just fortunate to come into a belt. The marketing annoys me, but it's not that big a deal.

The problem is that Clev's team are so clueless, Frank is almost being forced to make these match-ups. If he goes in with any decent world level guy, Nathan will get beaten. Simple as that. Pascal, Cloud, Dawson, Hopkins, Shumenov, and Campillo would all beat him.

Until Nathan brings in some professionals to his corner, it will be softly softly. He very nearly lost to Bellew and that will not have been lost of his very astute promoter.
Do you ever see him changing his team? I can't see Cleverly hanging around too long in the game so how many fights like these can he afford to have? also, is he serious enough about the game to contemplate getting rid of his father and stepping out of his comfort zone in order to make the improvements necessary?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #54
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
He won't be getting much exposure because there's no way this fight gets on the main Showtime broadcast. And if it wasn't for them recently starting showing the undercard fights on one of their sub-channels it wouldn't be shown at all. He'll be fighting in front of a few hundred die-hards so I don't think its all that beneficial really.
chrisfinch is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #55
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

Quote:
ok can you guys name me 10 opponents that it would be acceptable for Cleverly to fight?

Cloud
Pascal
Shumenov
Dawson
Hopkins
Campillo
Brahmer
Bellew
White
Chilemba
Fonfara
Gutknecht

Theres twelve, and you think the division is weak ? obviously not all those fights can be made right now but most if ot all could've been made at one time or another during cleverlt's reign
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #56
Let's Boogie!
"Smooth Operator"
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2745

They've had since at least July and this is what gets delivered and then people moan that we're happy with the opponent??? And you wonder why with all that bloody time, cleverly is a waste of a champ at the moment.
Let's Boogie! is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
nick_1204
Lil Floyd
ESB Full Member

At least he is getting exposure in the states.
nick_1204 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #58
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I find it hard to take him that seriously at all as a champion. I have no problem with him, it's not his fault Brahmer pulled out of the fight, but he hasn't ever beat a world level operator other than Murat who was fringe level at best.

The fact that he is trained by his dad also seems ridiculous to me, you're a world champion with access to some of the best trainers in the country but you stick with your old man despite a total lack of credentials.

This opponent really just re-iterates the point that W***** won't be putting him in with anyone dangerous any time soon, you build up to fights like that with decent opponents first not guys like Coyne.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #59
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3275

Gabriel Campillo doesn't have a fight lined up, and is willing to fight on the road in his opponents back yard. Campillo vs Cleverly should happen next.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #60
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegriffin View Post
Gabriel Campillo doesn't have a fight lined up, and is willing to fight on the road in his opponents back yard. Campillo vs Cleverly should happen next.
Horror match up for Clev, Campillo is all wrong for him.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum