Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #31
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
I think you are missing the point. The guy played ncaa football, I played highly competitive football, there simply is no comparasion.

Football has a way shorter season, and there are many games where you will have no incident and your head will not be touched nor injured. Every time you box or spar your head WILL GET HIT, and if you want to be a great or very good boxer you're going to need a deep amateur background or just be grossly skilled.

In football rugby whatever, there is a moderately-low risk you will get a big to moderate injury like a hit to the head, ie. might happen a 2-3 times over a few seasons In boxing you get punched in the head every time.

Obviously boxing you accept the risk, but my question was not if you accept the risk, it is are you concerned you could go blind at 50, or end up with a bunch of tubes up your nose from a brain blood clot, or whatever. Its a valid question. Its like asking are you concerned you will end up with cancer as an x-ray tech.

I am not sure if the average person who goes into boxing knows how dangerous it can be.
The guys point was 'You play a dangerous sport, you enjoy it so you accept the risks'. Why are you guys so dense that you can't understand that?

You can get ****ed up crossing the road, live your life and stop being a bitch. You play any sport and there are risks for your long term health. If that sport adds to your quality of life you keep doing it. We are all people who weigh up the risks and make our decisions. What sort of ****ing idiot starts boxing and doesn't think that there is a risk of cognitive issues further down the line? Amateur boxing however is one of the safest sports around, the mandatory time off after a stoppage, the testing and the general caution due to the nature of the sport means that consecutive concussions are nowhere near as common as they are for a football player who has the added risk of having his MCL blown out by another player in a tackle.
Boxing really isn't really that dangerous unless you're always in gym wars and fighting until you're 40.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #32
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

What the **** are you lot going on about?

I never compared any sport to any other sport. Why people are bringing up "well I played football!" then comparing that experience to boxing and what they think rugby is like I don't know.

All I said was that you participate in a dangerous sport (boxing). If you're worried about getting injured then you're probably participating in the wrong sport. I mentioned rugby purely because that's a dangerous sport which I participate in in which I could potentially get seriously injured. In my first season I witnessed a friend break his ankle, another break his pelvis in 2 places, a close friend of mine break his wrist that badly he dislocated his hand from his arm and just last week another guy got dropped on his head, breaking his C-1 vertebrae in 4 places. Even after witnessing these serious injuries I love playing so I play regardless. I'm not saying rugby is more dangerous than football or boxing, it makes no difference.

How can people not understand this?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #33
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Yes to what you say. Now you have me worried reading your post. But in 5 minutes I will have Forgot your Post. .
Thats just cos getting old Scrap you can't blame the punches for that.

Virus and dealt_with I assume those guys are trolling try not to bite. I agree completely I love boxing enough that I'm not going to worry about the effect it MIGHT have on me in later years, once again assuming I get that far. Life is dangerous I might die tomorrow the punches I took in sparring last week aren't going to have much effect then.

Personally the thing I worry the most about is my hands as they get really stiff in the cold weather and ache a lot. I broke one knuckle years ago and used to hit walls and things as an angry youth so think I damaged them then.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

I wouldn't let my son box. I would teach him how to box, but I wouldn't let him take it up as a sport.
ROACH is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 174
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
What the **** are you lot going on about?

I never compared any sport to any other sport. Why people are bringing up "well I played football!" then comparing that experience to boxing and what they think rugby is like I don't know.

All I said was that you participate in a dangerous sport (boxing). If you're worried about getting injured then you're probably participating in the wrong sport. I mentioned rugby purely because that's a dangerous sport which I participate in in which I could potentially get seriously injured. In my first season I witnessed a friend break his ankle, another break his pelvis in 2 places, a close friend of mine break his wrist that badly he dislocated his hand from his arm and just last week another guy got dropped on his head, breaking his C-1 vertebrae in 4 places. Even after witnessing these serious injuries I love playing so I play regardless. I'm not saying rugby is more dangerous than football or boxing, it makes no difference.

How can people not understand this?
Everyone understands what you are trying to say. Your point is pretty simple. But I disagree. As the old timers say, you play football, you play basketball, you play rugby, you dont "play" boxing.

In years of playing football I never had any concussions or serious injury. In fact I was never even once worried about injury. At the university level we had are own team doctor and training staff who took care of all injuries etc. The first thing you do when you get to a new program is get an "impact test" done which can be later used to check if you are concussed after receiving a big hit or something. If you are they will pull you out of practice and competition and rehab you. In boxing there is nobody like this who watches after you until maybe later in your career if you make it as a bigtime fighter, but boxers dont usually gain that fame until a long time down the road.

The idea I shouldnt be worried about my health is ridiculous. I plan on having a career in boxing and there are lots of risks out there. Simply ignoring them is absolutely terrible advice, and probably a reason a lot of punch drunk guys are in the position they are in.

Yes I love boxing. I have accepted the risks of the sport. But I only have one bill of health and I dont plan on spending the last 50 years of my life shaking and slurring thanks. Taking care of my health is a big priority to me.
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
OvergrownGnome
HARRYYOSO
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Posts: 303
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

it worries me yes
OvergrownGnome is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 174
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
What he's trying to say is that every sport has it's own unique problems, and that if you ever want to succeed at these sports you simply have to say "**** it" and go for it.

He's not saying "stop caring about your health" he's stating that there are risks in every single sport, and you have to accept them and continue on with your life.

If you're not willing to accept that one day, you may be blind and deaf because of boxing, then you will never succeed in it.

It's not difficult to comprehend, mate.
Also, the fact that you say you plan on having a career in boxing but you also "plan" to not spend your life brain damaged is pretty much an oxymoron.
You have to realize this is an actual possibility, that may happen to you if you continue. That's the truth of it. You must decide which is more valuable to you.
Of course I have accepted the risk. But the question is "do/should you WORRY" about it, which I think of course you should. Too many guys DONT worry about it and box for far too long etc. My point is that in boxing you have to look after yourself because nobody else really will.
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #38
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZGB - Croatia
Posts: 565
vCash: 1794
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

why should i worry? i`m doing what i love to do, if it hurts now and if i dont like it now, ill stop it.. there is no point to think about future problems, maybe ill die tommorow in some car accident, maybe ill fell of from the bicycle on my head or something..

and yes, maybe is time to work on your defense :P
captain hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #39
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
If you can continue fighting your concussion obviously is a low-grade concussion, that's got zero relevance to how skilled a fighter is.
Footballers can receive multiple concussions in a game, boxers can during a fight as well. Boxers generally have at least a month off after a fight (mandatory if they lose by stoppage) while football players play week after week with full contact training. Second impact syndrome is the big risk with concussions and most commonly occurs in team sports like football.
I'm not saying boxing isn't dangerous, it obviously is. If I had a kid I'd prefer him to box than play football though, there is little evidence that amateur boxing is harmful to health while there is mountains of research showing the dangers of high school football.
This post is not unreasonable on a whole. I'd imagine a more gritty skilled fighter be able to fight through a low grade concussion than a more wimpy fighter, as well referee is less likely to stop a bout for a guy who is perceived to be more skilled. Ie. Klitschko got knocked down like 6 times by corrie sanders, but i've seen fights where a stoppage comes to a lesser opponent earlier and with less damage. Who is getting multiple concussions in a game in football? I suppose it could happen but have 11-12 players on a field kind of limits the amount of times one would be hit. Didn't your resoruces say that amateur boxers can get the same brain problems as the pros? My understanding is that head gear doesn't protect from brain injury, it mostly protects from cuts.
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #40
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

It probably be tough to go pro and not have any brain damage, the higher in weight you go and the more bouts probably increases the risk, as well having a skinny neck probably hurts you too. I mean, I don't think its possible to get 1000 punches to the head over the span of your career and not get some kind of mild brain damage. But lots of people never even live long enough to suffer the damage. That being said I think people should worry or be aware of it, because you don't want to end up a vegetable and you want to fight smart.
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #41
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
The guys point was 'You play a dangerous sport, you enjoy it so you accept the risks'. Why are you guys so dense that you can't understand that?

You can get ****ed up crossing the road, live your life and stop being a bitch. You play any sport and there are risks for your long term health. If that sport adds to your quality of life you keep doing it. We are all people who weigh up the risks and make our decisions. What sort of ****ing idiot starts boxing and doesn't think that there is a risk of cognitive issues further down the line? Amateur boxing however is one of the safest sports around, the mandatory time off after a stoppage, the testing and the general caution due to the nature of the sport means that consecutive concussions are nowhere near as common as they are for a football player who has the added risk of having his MCL blown out by another player in a tackle.
Boxing really isn't really that dangerous unless you're always in gym wars and fighting until you're 40.
So amateur boxing is one of the safest sports around, but you are a ****ing idiot if you think there are not cognitive risk
Do you not see why someone might go into boxing thinking it is a very safe sport to be surprised later in life when they are in a wheel chair from the safest sport?
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Posts: 870
vCash: 430
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Definitely. Often times when I forget something I always think "is this because of boxing"?
Same here.
Plus to OP Toney's head is messed up cos all he did was spar.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #43
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 515
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
For those of you who do box, are any of you worried of alzheimer or parkinsons, or getting blood clots to the brain or going blind in your later years,or any of the other effects from long term boxing? I was watching something on james toney and how all those concussions have messed up his hormone levels and how 50% of pro boxers have unusually LOW testosterone and hgh because of the ratling around of the pititary gland from head punches. It is something I think about every now and then but at this point it isnt a major concern because I haven't gone pro yet.
Thruthfully my dad died from a neurogical issue.My 3 knee injuries and cause i had one big concussion(no-boxing related) i quit boxing.This and the fact that i am 31 It started to bug me and i said to myself if it will ever trouble me i will retire.
I had enough amateur fights and in my last fight i started questioning myslelf the **** am i doing this shit.Moments after the fight i said im done.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #44
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
I wouldn't let my son box. I would teach him how to box, but I wouldn't let him take it up as a sport.
why not?
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Thruthfully my dad died from a neurogical issue.My 3 knee injuries and cause i had one big concussion(no-boxing related) i quit boxing.This and the fact that i am 31 It started to bug me and i said to myself if it will ever trouble me i will retire.
I had enough amateur fights and in my last fight i started questioning myslelf the **** am i doing this shit.Moments after the fight i said im done.
How'd u get a concussion. What made you quit after your fight?
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013