Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Fighters that flourished in the face of adversity . . . . . . .

Boxing history is littered with fighters who possesed great skill-sets but didn't have it in the heart department (Don Curry, Roy Jones, Vladimir Klitchsko, Mike Tyson etc) to be able to fight in the trenches through adversity and win tough fights when it was all in the line.

In contrast, some fighters in the sport produced they're best when staring defeat in the eyes, some fighters thrived in the face of danger, and when faced with adversity with everything on the line, they came roaring through the acid test.

I want this thread to be dedicated to those fighters that thrived in adversity with posters doing the following

a) naming a fighter they believe produced his best in adversity

b) giving examples of when they faced adveristy and how they came through it against the named opponents.

I'll start the thread, please feel free to follow suit

a) Joe Calzaghe

b) Calzaghe imo is one of the finest examples in the last 30 years of a boxer that produces his best when faced with adversity, something he proved throughout his career.

-Think the 1st time he came through real adversity was when he won the title on foreign soil from Chris Eubank. Eubank brought it that night and went toe to toe with Calzaghe all fight. Eubank had Calzaghe rocking on a couple of occasions and took him into the trenches for the 1st time in his career - that fight was Calzaghe's long awaited gut-check and Joe came through with flying colours.

- The next time Calzaghe thrived in adversity was against former Olympic bronze medalist and former 168 champion Robin Reid (who had been robbed of his title v Ottke). After sweeping ahead early in the fight, Calzaghe sustained a hand injury in round 4 that forced him to adapt and fight through adversity for the rest of the fight with virtually one hand. Reid came roaring back into the fight but with the scorecards close near the end, Calzaghe won the championship rounds despite his handicap to retain his title, he simply refused to be beaten.

- Another example of Calzaghe thriving in adversity came after he was knocked down hard in the 2nd round by former 168 champ Byron Mitchell. What did Calzaghe do when he was badly hurt? Did he run? Did he hold for dear life? Did he feign injury to bide time? No, he did none of that, he came roaring back like a truely great champion, putting everything on the line and going toe to toe, stopping Mitchell in the same round.

- The last example i will use from the many that are available will be Calzaghe's victory over the main man at 175 and p4p number 4 fighter in the world Bernard Hopkins. Calzaghe again fighting on foreign soil moved up weights and in his 1st fight at 175 looked like he was about to be handed his 1st defeat of his career. Hopkins dropped Calzaghe in the 1st but again he got back up and showed the balls of a great fighter, adapted in the ring and turned the fight around despite a horror show from Joe Cortez who allowed Hopkins to time waste in the latter rounds in a bid to last the full 12 rounds.

There are many, many more examples i could use with Calzaghe like him adapting v Kessler, recovering from knockdowns versus Salem and Roy Jones only to come roaring back into the fight etc. You must also remember the notorious hand troubles Calzaghe suffered throughout his career, yet he fought through it all, he had the balls to dig deep, the ability to produce his best when he was staring defeat in the eye, never holding, never taking a step back, and being prepared to stand in the pocket and trade punches with anyone he ever fought.

Now its your turn - please leave examples of fighters you thought thrived in the face of adversity.

BTW - 2 RULES FOR THIS THREAD

1 - NO FANBOY BEHAVIOUR OR UNNECESSARY HATING ON FIGHTERS

2 - NO TROLLING OR NASTY INSULTS - WE ARE HERE TO DISCUSS BOXING

thanks, ELECTRIC GURU
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Run It
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Fighters that flourished in the face of adversity . . . . . . .

hopkins
Run It is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Ali.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

Wlad has heart, he never gave up, just couldn't recover
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run It View Post
hopkins

cheers pal, could you give me some examples of when Bernard fought though adversity
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Ali.
Yeah, I think thats one that sticks out in most peoples minds pal. What do you think are the best examples of Ali producing his best in adversity?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Midwest_Chopper
Shalom
ESB Senior Member

Midwest_Chopper is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Wlad has heart, he never gave up, just couldn't recover

I don't think he's a fighter who produces his best when he is in trouble, all he does is hold on or stumble around the ring. He's not one to fight fire with fire and put it all on the line at crucial times if you know what i mean, hence his safety conscious stop/start style.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Both Hoya/ Mosley fights spring to mind also.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Floyd Mayweather has to be an obvious one

Against Manfredy, Mayweather had a broken hand and fought the last few rounds to see it out an still win the fight

Against Castillo, Mayweather had a torn rotator cuff, had a virus, and up against a top fighter in Castillo he came through to win a close decision, then took care of business in the rematch

Against the likes of Judah and Corley, he was visibly hurt, yet he maintained his composure, and went on to dominate both fights.

Finally against Mosley, rocked twice in the second round by a legitimate power puncher, Money May survived and went on to win every round

Floyd Mayweather is an iron chinned warrior
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Both Hoya/ Mosley fights spring to mind also.

De La Hoya would be a good example imo. Your probably more knowledgable on ODLH's career than myself, what would you say are some good examples of when Oscar came through gut-checks and produced his best pal?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
I don't think he's a fighter who produces his best when he is in trouble, all he does is hold on or stumble around the ring. He's not one to fight fire with fire and put it all on the line at crucial times if you know what i mean, hence his safety conscious stop/start style.
Khan fights fire with fire, doesn't necessarily mean he flourishes in the face of adversity
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Floyd Mayweather has to be an obvious one

Against Manfredy, Mayweather had a broken hand and fought the last few rounds to see it out an still win the fight

Against Castillo, Mayweather had a torn rotator cuff, had a virus, and up against a top fighter in Castillo he came through to win a close decision, then took care of business in the rematch

Against the likes of Judah and Corley, he was visibly hurt, yet he maintained his composure, and went on to dominate both fights.

Finally against Mosley, rocked twice in the second round by a legitimate power puncher, Money May survived and went on to win every round

Floyd Mayweather is an iron chinned warrior

quality post chief with some good examples. I would agree that Mayweather has that inner toughness to win close fights, If Mayweathers in trouble he finds a way. He's like Ray Leonard in that respect, its not just the skills, theres the warrior inside in the tough moments, its that kind of thing that seperates the likes of Ali, Leonard, and Mayweather from the likes of Roy Jones.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
De La Hoya would be a good example imo. Your probably more knowledgable on ODLH's career than myself, what would you say are some good examples of when Oscar came through gut-checks and produced his best pal?
Fought his guts out against Mosely 1. Refused to bend down and showed mighty bravery. The decision was a robbery. Hoya clearly won.

Getting out worked against Quartey and rallying back late to almost get a TKO.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Khan fights fire with fire, doesn't necessarily mean he flourishes in the face of adversity
Yeah, i see what your saying, I'd say that Khan is a much more 'ballsy' fighter than Vlad (or you could say stupid). Both Khan and Vlad are not suited to fighting in adversity - Vlad worked that out a long time ago and i'm not sure if Khan will ever work that out. Khans instincts are stronger than his brain.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum