Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default How much would a Marciano win over Floyd Patterson in 1956 do for his legacy?

Say he then retired at 50-0
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: How much would a Marciano win over Floyd Patterson in 1956 do for his legacy?

I think it'd help a bit.

He'd have a signature win over his succesor; The youngest, most primed, formidable contender.

All of Rocky's signature wins have a common element; They were against fading badasses of the era just before him. Still entirely formidable, still exceptionally dangerous and crafty, but past their best, nonetheless.

Floyd Patterson wouldn't have had their skill or know how, but he'd have been the fastest and most explosive fighter Rocky had ever faced, and probably one of the hardest hitters to boot, with the leaping left hook. Rocky would have actually been the guy with the serious experience advantage, but a distinct disadvantage in most other areas.

I don't hold his retirement against him, but I don't see how one could attempt to say that a W over the young Patterson would be anything but a great boon.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: How much would a Marciano win over Floyd Patterson in 1956 do for his legacy?

Depends on what Patterson went on to accomplish and weather or not losing to Marciano would thwart that destiny. If Rocky knocked out a 20 year old 180 lb kid who then preceded to fade into anonymity, then my answer to your question would be, not very much...
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

well Considering the longevity Patterson had despite being destroyed 3 times by ingo and liston, it's fair to say he'd have still been gone on to be champ after Rocky retired.

But the clincher is this, even if he didn't, it was him and Moore for the vacant title, so one of them would have been champ meaning Rocky beats his successor and that's always a great achievement in my book.

Probably would solidify a top 5 legacy. Certainly if he would have added a victory over Valdes also.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
well Considering the longevity Patterson had despite being destroyed 3 times by ingo and liston, it's fair to say he'd have still been gone on to be champ after Rocky retired.

But the clincher is this, even if he didn't, it was him and Moore for the vacant title, so one of them would have been champ meaning Rocky beats his successor and that's always a great achievement in my book.

Probably would solidify a top 5 legacy. Certainly if he would have added a victory over Valdes also.
If he adds Valdes atop future champion Patterson, I'd agree. He'd be a top 5 lock. You could EASILY argue he cleaned out his division, and retiring after that would be something to behold.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I think even the slightest little details can have huge conseqences on the trajectory of events. Let alone something as major as a heavyweight title fight.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I think even the slightest little details can have huge conseqences on the trajectory of events. Let alone something as major as a heavyweight title fight.
yes I agree.

Despite being consecutively twatted by Liston, Floyd still had a very good career from then only really losing to Ali.

Rocky couldn't do any more damage than Liston did so I don't see his carrer being too different.

Rocky twatted Moore and it was him who fought for the vacant title, I see noone else from that time defeating Floyd.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
If he adds Valdes atop future champion Patterson, I'd agree. He'd be a top 5 lock. You could EASILY argue he cleaned out his division, and retiring after that would be something to behold.
Yeah definitely. Plus it's two more top names to add to his resume. Worst case scenario is he defeats a practically undefeated fighter who would go on to be a top contender for years to come.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah definitely. Plus it's two more top names to add to his resume. Worst case scenario is he defeats a practically undefeated fighter who would go on to be a top contender for years to come.
To me its the youth element.

Rocky would have fought a younger, more talented fighter coming into his prime, just as Rocky was beginning to fade a bit himself.

Its the one thing missing from his resume.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Depends on what Patterson went on to accomplish and weather or not losing to Marciano would thwart that destiny. If Rocky knocked out a 20 year old 180 lb kid who then preceded to fade into anonymity, then my answer to your question would be, not very much...
Exactly…
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I assume Patterson would go later become champion of the world.

In that case, I think Rocky's legacy would increase significantly. A win over a prime, young, Top20 HW is what he lacks.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

His critics would say that Patterson was inexperienced, little more than a light heavyweight, and not as good as he would eventualy become.

It would fit in with the general patern of criticism leveled against his resume.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano was knocked down for the first time in his career in the first Walcott fight in 1952.
..he was pounded...blinded for 4 rounds...cut and behind on all scorecards when he throws the best right hand ever...and wins the title...he goes 15 rounds with Ezzard Charles in a thrilling 15 round brawl...and then in the rematch 3 months later has his nose split open down to the bone...and fearing the fight will be stopped...storms out and saves the title with a big KO...those kind of fights had already cemented The Rocks legacy...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Floyd was still fighting at 166lb in the beginning of 1955, In fact his highest weight was 175 in 1955 until the end of the year December where Floyd weighed 178lbs vs Jimmy Slade...a win over a young inexperienced Patterson would not have enhanced his record because Floyd highest weight up to Marciano's last fight was 175, so rest assured Marciano would be criticized.

IMO I would have loved to see him KO Valdes or Baker just for shits and giggles and a 50-0 record, unfortunately Valdes lost badly to Bob Satterfield a month before Marciano-Moore ...I think he would have looked good against Baker or Valdes and that would have been a good way to end with 50-0 but I guess the $$$ was not great and even less after Al Weill took his end......He may have had to wait 2 years for Patterson and I think Rocky was getting tired of the game
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I don't think it would mean much to his legacy.

He would have been expected to beat him and probably criticized for even fighting him.

A loss to the likes of Floyd Patterson would have deservedly tarnished Marciano's legacy.
BillB is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum