Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #166
Bulletproof
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Why do you constantly appear in every Calzaghe thread moaning on about the crown jewels? Fighting is a dangerous business and you deserve to be well paid if you take those risks
Give Joe a break people. Joe asked for the Crown Jewels as an advance so he could use the cash to get the best therapy money could buy to cure his fear of flying!! DUH!!!
Bulletproof is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #167
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Lacy was a hypejob and is a nobody today. I dont rate that win, neither do a lot of people.
I bet you picked Lacy before that fight. Like 90% of Americans.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #168
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Why do you constantly appear in every Calzaghe thread moaning on about the crown jewels? Fighting is a dangerous business and you deserve to be well paid if you take those risks
Yes, fighters need to be paid to compete, but purposely pricing yourself out of a fight shows no desire to actually compete.

Bailey is under the delusions that Joe was actually on the radar over here and ducked by RJJ. The quote from Joe proves that even if Joe was on the radar, he would price himself out of the fight.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #169
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
Funny, only one boxer in history is literally quoted as saying "it would take the crown jewels" when asked about another fighter, and his name isn't Andre Ward.

Who was it, again?

Check out Skittlez opening post from his thread earlier this week pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Roy Jones Jr going full retard mode in 2003. Pretty much exposing how he hate taking risks and kept bragging about how smart he is and how much of a genius he is and how he will never be taken down.

On Oscar
Oscar De La Hoya can kiss my ass. The Golden Boy. Guaranteed, I'd beat him and two or three more of those mother****ers in the same day.

On taking risks.
You see what happened to Gerald McClellan? He believed the hype, went to England, and came home in a wheelchair. Now nobody wants to see Gerald. They want to ignore that. But I'm not going to ignore that. Hell with Larry Merchant and all the critics. They're not going to help me if my life gets damaged. You don't see Larry Merchant taking care of Gerald McClellan. I gotta live for me.

On how great and powerful he is.
If I go all out
I'm that strong. If I started showing people how mean I really am, somebody could wind up dead.

On why he don't care about legacy and don't want a place in boxing history.
If I fought like I was looking for a place in history, it would ruin me as a person. I don't think history is worth selling my soul. God wouldn't want me to be the type of rooster that kills another rooster. So I'm gonna chill and stay the nice guy that I am.

I AIN'T THE TOUGHEST MOTHER****ER IN THE WORLD. I AIN'T MR. SUPERMAN. NOT TRYING TO BE MR. TOUGH GUY. DON'T WANT TO BE. TELL YOU ONE THING, THOUGH: I'M ONE OF THE SMARTEST MOTHER****ERS IN THE WORLD. YOU'VE BEEN TALKING TO A ****IN' GENIUS.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #170
Macdeath
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack View Post
I bet you picked Lacy before that fight. Like 90% of Americans.
I think its fair to say we all picked Lacy, he was a massive punching wrecking ball, that looked like he could knock down walls.
If I were to watch the Ward/Boone fight and the Lacy/any title defence then I think you could get swayed to think Lacy is going to score a stunning KO, but a fighter like Ward would find a way
Macdeath is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #171
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Yes, fighters need to be paid to compete, but purposely pricing yourself out of a fight shows no desire to actually compete.

Bailey is under the delusions that Joe was actually on the radar over here and ducked by RJJ. The quote from Joe proves that even if Joe was on the radar, he would price himself out of the fight.

I can't speak for bailey, but I've not seen people suggest that Jones ducked Calzaghe? When was the fight ever really viable? How can Joe price himself out when he was never made an offer? Finally, Jones was a star, any fighter wanted the crown jewels to face him, even his mandatories like Richard Hall would have received career high paydays or 'the crown jewels' when they faced Jones
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #172
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I've never heard of Calzaghe pricing himself out of a fight.

On the other hand we know that Jones deliberately priced himself out of a fight with Micheal Nunn.

We know that Hopkins deliberately priced himself out of fighting Calzaghe in 2002.
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #173
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 6005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdeath View Post
Its a shame Ward ducked Bute, it would shut up all of these pro Calzaghe fanboys had Ward just fought Bute, as we know now that Ward would likely have got to Bute, we just didnt know it when Bute was undefeated. Hindsights a great thing

Personally, I don't get any of this 'Ward ducked Bute' stuff.

Ward said Bute needed to beat a higher calibre of opponent, and then they'd talk. Why duck a guy who hadn't beaten high quality opp, only to seek to fight him after he had done so? Does it make sense?

I could see people saying so, if Bute had won and Ward wouldn't fight him.

It can really only be 1 of 2 things. 1) Ward thought Bute would win or he thought Bute would lose.

If Bute wins, Ward has a more seasoned and a truly viable rival for the top spot in the division.

If Bute loses, Ward is proven right and Bute is proven not to be ready to be a serious candidate. But if he thought this would happen, why duck him in the 1st place?

Ward goes on to sign on to mix it up with a more proven, more dangerous fighter in Dawson, (even though the weight would ultimately prove to be too much for Dawson.)

Seems to me that the timing of it, with Ward's broken hand shelving him for a while, lent for a natural opportunity for Bute to beat a named guy(Froch, Kessler) to build his resume, whilst building the stakes for Ward-Bute. Froch had other ideas.
At least that's how I see it.
des3995 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #174
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Few people said Jones ducked Calzaghe because the timeline isn't right, but what we all do know is that Jones ducked a 99% of the top competition at MW-SMW.

Let's take a look at the top MW-SMW of Jone's reign....
Mccellan
Jackson
Nunn
Benn
Eubank
Collins
Barkley
Littles

This guy was a serial ducker, it is what it is. If you are defending him, you have an agenda. I get why Ward got so many fans now, they are the left over Roy Boys that finally found a hero which didn't duck quite as much as Roy (mainly because his chin isn't quite as bad and there are no Nigels and Geralds lurking around)

**** all that excuses of 'contracts not working out' You can use that excuse for 1-2 fighters, but for ALL OF THEM?

Now can
Mccellan
Jackson
Nunn
Benn
Eubank
Collins
Barkley
Littles

beat Roy Jones Jr during Roy's MW-SMW reign? The popular belief is no they can't. But, who knows what would have happened if the best version of Nigel showed up and put pressure on Roy for 12 straight rounds? Who knows what would have happened if Jackson or Mccellan land one of their famous KO punches?
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #175
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

Quote:

I dont think Jones ducked Calzaghe just chose not to go after him because he wanted the HW title. Jones himself said thats why he didnt fight Calzaghe because he was after the HW title instead. I dont blame Jones for that.
Not sure what you are on about? But yes I think Jones chose not to fight Calzaghe when he was called out, but as said dont blame Jones when he could win a HW title
bailey is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #176
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Joe's crippling hand & wrist injuries arent ever gonna improve, he was advised to retire before the Hopkins fight.

If he was 100% healthy, could get down to 168 safely & was being paid a fortune then why not. Sadly, none of those will ever happen.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #177
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

**** no! Joe Joe's got all his crazy-ass fanboys believing exactly the way he wants them too. Coming out of retirement and getting dominated, then destroyed crushes thousands of lunatic fantasies. And probably leads to many suicides that could have otherwise been avoided. Best to stay in retirement, and let the lunatics have their dreams.

Last edited by rorschach51; 10-08-2012 at 04:11 PM.
rorschach51 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #178
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I dont think Jones ducked Calzaghe just chose not to go after him because he wanted the HW title. Jones himself said thats why he didnt fight Calzaghe because he was after the HW title instead. I dont blame Jones for that.
Not sure what you are on about? But yes I think Jones chose not to fight Calzaghe when he was called out, but as said dont blame Jones when he could win a HW title
Hey B, Jones didn't go after Calzaghe, because who was Calzaghe at the time to be gone after by a guy of RJJ's status? The onus would have been on Calzaghe to go after Jones, who wss the moneymaker. Joe had nothing to offer Jones.

Hadn't Jones previously stated that he had looked in on Calzaghe early on, but ended up dismissing him because Calzaghe backed off on his level of opposition?
des3995 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #179
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by des3995 View Post
Hey B, Jones didn't go after Calzaghe, because who was Calzaghe at the time to be gone after by a guy of RJJ's status? The onus would have been on Calzaghe to go after Jones, who wss the moneymaker.

Hadn't Jones previously stated that he had looked in on Calzaghe early on, but ended up dismissing him because Calzaghe backed off on his level of opposition?
He said the Eubank win got his attention.
Calzaghe did call out Jones to no avail. Others who didnt call out got a chance like WBO MW champ O Grant, but Calzaghe was high risk low reward
bailey is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #180
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
He said the Eubank win got his attention.
Calzaghe did call out Jones to no avail. Others who didnt call out got a chance like WBO MW champ O Grant, but Calzaghe was high risk low reward
IIRC, Jones did say that he dismissed Calzaghe after because he backed off on his level of competition though.
des3995 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum