boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #76
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Floyd is more skilled than Luis Manuel Rodriguez. This is a fact. I think it might be in the Bible.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #77
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Magna has hit the nail on the head. In terms of longevity, I wonder if modern science has aided fighters to fight longer on then before. That, and the fact that fighters don't fight quite as often and thus don't get worked out. Moore had close to 200 fights. Hopkins has less than 70 I think. Hopkins is nearly 50 and capable of schooling fighters that clearly lack craft (Pascal). Moore was 45 by the time of the Clay fight. How much of a discrepancy in craft was there during Moore's LHW reign than Hopkins? Is it just a case of Moore wearing down quicker because of the amount of fights he had. Hopkins also gets the benefit of modern science. There are weak points in virtually all eras, and at varies division by division. I would agree with the consensus that things appear to be clearly getting worse, though.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #78
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

It depends when you're talking about. 40's to 90's are at a similar skill level. The 30's and the 00's are a step below overall. The 20's and before fighters were absolute dog****e
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #79
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Floyd is more skilled than Luis Manuel Rodriguez. This is a fact. I think it might be in the Bible.
Come on now...
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #80
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think it has more to do with schooling. Fighters were schooled in all dimensions of fighting before they became pros. The process of teaching a fighter was more complex. The sport has become so diluted with incompetent trainers and techniques that its very difficult to even name a fighter who is complete anymore and thats why in the last couple decades youve seen fighters who should have no buisness even fighting anymore, still beating young, supposedly prime "champions"
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #81
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Come on now...
Its true Flea. There is no.blueprint and all that ****.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #82
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Its true Flea. There is no.blueprint and all that ****.
Why won't you and Lester stop trying to wind me up?!?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #83
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Joe Louis' "Bum of the month club"?
If you hold the title for 11 years I'd imagine your run out of real opponents. It would not surprise me if half of those bums would beat the bums fighting today, because those bums back then were probably more desperate for it.
hernanday is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #84
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

old time fighters often had more than one "ring name".

Dives occurred far more regularly in the old times.

I don't think the boxing commissions were as stringent about keeping unqualified fighters out of the ring. I believe there were several one-eyed fighters thumping around boxing rings. That simply would not happen today.

In order to get a state comparable to the good ol' days, we need to; racially segragate boxing, prohibit boxers from the former USSR and Cuba from competing in the professional boxing game, have some mafiosos control the rankings and have a single promoter monopoly whole divisions with his fighters.

Also, these newer boxers need to quit using their lefts so much and quit moving laterally so much. They need to lunge in at their opponents like they used to do in the old days.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #85
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Cuban boxers are prohibited from competing in the pro' game. If anything the old timers had it right in that respect, 'til the revolution.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #86
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

There is another issue here.

At any given point of time, it is statisticaly unlikley that the best fighter in the history of a given weight class will be active.

So obviously there are going to be more great fighters who can be termed "old timers", than great fighters who are curently active.

Fighters active at the moment include Pacquio, Mayweather, Ward and Klitschko junior.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #87
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I think 24 hour weigh in's actually encourage fighters to try and shed more weight. Spending less time on honing their skills.
I agree..It should encourage fighters
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #88
YUZO WANTANABE
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Magna has hit the nail on the head. In terms of longevity, I wonder if modern science has aided fighters to fight longer on then before. That, and the fact that fighters don't fight quite as often and thus don't get worked out. Moore had close to 200 fights. Hopkins has less than 70 I think. Hopkins is nearly 50 and capable of schooling fighters that clearly lack craft (Pascal). Moore was 45 by the time of the Clay fight. How much of a discrepancy in craft was there during Moore's LHW reign than Hopkins? Is it just a case of Moore wearing down quicker because of the amount of fights he had. Hopkins also gets the benefit of modern science. There are weak points in virtually all eras, and at varies division by division. I would agree with the consensus that things appear to be clearly getting worse, though.
hopkins also didnt have to fight cassius clay
YUZO WANTANABE is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #89
YUZO WANTANABE
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
it's an interesting take flea. better or worse, two of my favourites at the moment are andre ward and adrien broner. ward has proven himself at the top level, broner hasn't come close.

what are your thoughts on them? styles, skills, pure athletes?
broner with his legs as wide as they are will have a lot of problems with guys who can move around the ring, and he looks and waits for a perfect shot - he will lose a lot of rounds that way. one day he will lose one round too many that way
YUZO WANTANABE is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #90
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
H, NOT TRUE..In the 1940s {my era growing up] there were a tremendous amount of amateurs and GOLDEN GLOVE bouts...For example in the GG in MSG they HAD to have THREE rings operating at the same time. Ray Robinson was a product of the Golden Gloves bouts in NY...My dad in the early 1920s boxed in smokers and other non pro bouts...He would tell me in NYC on every block it seemed there was a pro boxer...Tough times breed tough men. In the GG all of us boxed with NO headgear, mini mouthpieces.
Today I cannot watch the amateurs in the Olympic bouts with the headgear, the referee admonishing boxers for the slightest "infraction", not allowing infighting etc...A different game today than in the old days...In the 1940s to get a main event bout at MSG, you needed 45 or so bouts,and more to headline a card...There were of course only 8 weight classes, and fighters learned to cope with boxing guys weighing in some cases 10 pounds o r more...And in NYC area for example there was at least ONE
pro card EVERY NIGHT of the week except Sunday...Fighting so often boxers learned from their experiences and hardened them....To prove my point I can cite a list of the top fighters of the 40s in each class, and compare them to todays top fighters...To be the best of a rich pool of fighters ,makes the greater fighter than a much smaller pool...
My understanding is there are less am weight classes now for men because they had to shrink the number to allow women time to compete in london
hernanday is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum