Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Beezy
2 Eazzy
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What percentage of fights are rigged?

I wouldn't say many.. by the fighter's means..... but promoters def make ammends while building a fighter's record
Beezy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
Pantera2000
9 lives
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Realize also how subtle a fix can be. Take Martinez - Chavez. The bookies overwhelmingly expected a Sergio KO. They made a lot more moey when he only win by decision.

A coincidence? Maybe, but if Sergio purposely let Jr off the hook in that final 30 seconds, how would you know?
Not a chance in hell. With the money Sergio had riding on this win there isn't a dollar amount anyone could afford to tell Sergio to 'take it easy and avoid a KO'. It wouldn't even be entertained.
Pantera2000 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

It depends on your definition of "rigged." Overall, I think boxing greatly parallels the NBA.

If you mean odds tipped somewhat or even heavily in the direction of one fighter, then many. Just like home teams in the NBA get extra calls and free throws which leads to extra points and more wins, home crowds often influence judging. The other fighter can overcome the obstacles, but is facing an uphill battle.

If you mean blatantly pre-determined, then I would say a few per year. Just like when the NBA suddenly changes officials during a playoff series and the team down 2-0 wins, or when they hand the Lakers 27 free throw attempts in the last 10 minutes of a game 6.

It would be far too difficult to pre-determine the outcome of an MLB game, slightly less so for the NFL. The NBA is likely as rigged, if not more rigged, than boxing.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
thekyuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Obviously, most rigging does not include actual dives, as thta can be too obvious. - but you can pay / threaten a fighter to not KO his opponent.

As far as downsides - try bucking the promoters on one fight, and see how many good opportunities you get in the future. You have a much better chance of making future money if you play along, than if you try to fight the powers that be.

----------------------------

Most likely, 100% of fights are rigged in some way, even if it's a s subtle as referees letting Ali cheat in every fight he was in. (holding behind the head, etc.)

And even in the most blatant cases, there are practically ZERO repercussions, especially to the guys actually calling the shots:

Bob Arum tells JMM, on camera, "it's just business," and absolutely nothing happens.
A referee in Germany LITERALLY helps a downed fighter up off the canvas so he can continue to fight, and absolutely nothing happens.
----------

It's an unregulated sport, in which promoters, bookies, mafia betters, and even the networks ALL make huge financial gains when the "right" fighter wins.
What possible reason is there to believe that any fight is legit? How naive can you be?
Thanks for breaking it down!
Quote:
It depends on your definition of "rigged." Overall, I think boxing greatly parallels the NBA.

If you mean odds tipped somewhat or even heavily in the direction of one fighter, then many. Just like home teams in the NBA get extra calls and free throws which leads to extra points and more wins, home crowds often influence judging. The other fighter can overcome the obstacles, but is facing an uphill battle.

If you mean blatantly pre-determined, then I would say a few per year. Just like when the NBA suddenly changes officials during a playoff series and the team down 2-0 wins, or when they hand the Lakers 27 free throw attempts in the last 10 minutes of a game 6.

It would be far too difficult to pre-determine the outcome of an MLB game, slightly less so for the NFL. The NBA is likely as rigged, if not more rigged, than boxing
You and jeffjoiner gave me the perspective I was looking for. In sum,its rarely if ever blatant but subtle with indirect incentives among all the interests involved to control the outcome.
thekyuke is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #20
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

There are clear dives on the lower level of boxing, kimbo's last fight is a clear example.

In fact, I think Butterbeans career has known, factual paid dives involved in them if Im thinking correctly. (could be wrong, seem to remember this being the case though)

On the top levels I dont think it happens too often, if at all.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #21
Larryboys
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 128

I went to some very, very dubious thai boxing in Thailand, I wouldn't be suprised if people were taking dives in regular boxing there and places like that, Indonesia, Phillipines, it doesn't seem like anyone would be paying attention like the state athletic commissions do In America and British boxing board do here.
Larryboys is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
bandido
The Black Bandit
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

3.467%
bandido is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #23
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

Bert Suger said boxing would be far better off if it was run by organised crime.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #24
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyuke View Post
All pro sports suffer the scourge of predetermined outcomes. UEFA Champions league,Italian serie a,MLB,NFL you name it. IIRC , Henry Cooper admitted throwing his fight with Clay in exchange for financial inducements.
In the opinion of the ESB insiders,how common are such arrangements? Give details wherever possible.
What champions league games have been fixed?
ElCep is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

I've seen a couple of Kimbo fights that made me wonder. Those bums either have no chin whatsoever (I'm talking wet toiler paper here), they aren't real professional fighters, or they are paid to take a dive

In big money fights I can't see it. For anybody getting the big money fights with Money May, Pacquaio or the Klitschkos the incentive to win is too great to be worth a one off payment for losing. Secondly they're most likely in with very little chance of winning anyway, so what's the point paying them to lose? It would be like paying me to lose a pro fight with any decent pro- I'm going to lose anyway

For most fighters in with a rising prospect (like an HBO hype job), I can see the case being made for them being paid to lose- but again, there is a big incentive for winning. The big money rematch, taking somebody's 0 on live TV watched by (potentially) millions, the chance to land a fight with an even bigger name, etc. Obviously there's a man's pride and integrity too

For a rising prospect or reigning champion to throw a fight- it's possible but the money would have to be pretty ****ing big since a loss these days is far worse than a loss back in the day. I could see it happening if a fighter knows they have a career ending injury and can cash out this way, but there are still a load of reasons against it.

In small, untelevised fights- maybe. Who gives a ****?
Squire is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I dont have an idea of how much percent, but I think boxing is/can be the most corrupt sport in the world.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
thekyuke

Incidentally what do you guys say of Lewis McCall1? IMO,Lewis,though dazed could have continued but the ref stopped it. Also the draw with Holyfield in 99 when everyone had him well ahead.
thekyuke is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
There are clear dives on the lower level of boxing, kimbo's last fight is a clear example.

In fact, I think Butterbeans career has known, factual paid dives involved in them if Im thinking correctly. (could be wrong, seem to remember this being the case though)

On the top levels I dont think it happens too often, if at all.
Butterbean his careers weren't dives... overmatching yes but no dives.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

tough to say

I think some fights are not necessarily paid off dives but that many journeymen and cans come in trying but stay down when hit with a good punch

some guys are not necessarily paid by the other guys camp but lay down for a check to make a career of not getting hurt and winning once in a while

i think in lower levels or even higher levels if its not out right corruption where its rigged but officials and refs give benefits out

though some MMA dirty dealing makes me wonder, Elite XC where Kimbo lost they tried paying the guy to not fight on the ground and just trade with Kimbo in the hope to give Kimbo an advantage

Pride got ****ed by the Yakuza who kidnapped fighters and ****ed with judges

in all reality judges are picked months in advance enough time for mob or others to get to them, they can pay them to judge in one guys favor though theres no guarantee itll go the distance
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum