Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Jab, Cross, Hook

Okay so like most boxers I have fundamental combinations that I was taught early on and continue to throw to set up other shots ie: 1-2, Jab cross hook, jab cross hook cross etc. I always like to throw Jab, Cross, Hook its my favorite combination to start out with. I throw more complex or varied combinations during my sparring as well usually just not to lead off or set up other combos. My coach says that everyone knows/expects that combination when your sparring so dont throw it. I understand what he means in the sense of mix up your attack which I do as the round progresses but I like to stick to the fundamental combos in the start of the round to feel my sparring partner out. Should i abandon/not use this combination as much? From your perspective is this an easy combo to anticipate? One of the reasons I like it is because i think its effective and thats why its taught early on....thoughts? i'm not saying I just throw this combination in sparring I switch it up however it seems like he doesnt want me to throw it at all during sparring. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Ricky
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jab, Cross, Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Okay so like most boxers I have fundamental combinations that I was taught early on and continue to throw to set up other shots ie: 1-2, Jab cross hook, jab cross hook cross etc. I always like to throw Jab, Cross, Hook its my favorite combination to start out with. I throw more complex or varied combinations during my sparring as well usually just not to lead off or set up other combos. My coach says that everyone knows/expects that combination when your sparring so dont throw it. I understand what he means in the sense of mix up your attack which I do as the round progresses but I like to stick to the fundamental combos in the start of the round to feel my sparring partner out. Should i abandon/not use this combination as much? From your perspective is this an easy combo to anticipate? One of the reasons I like it is because i think its effective and thats why its taught early on....thoughts? i'm not saying I just throw this combination in sparring I switch it up however it seems like he doesnt want me to throw it at all during sparring. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Ricky
I think your coach is communicating that he doesn't want you to set a pattern for your offense.

Every combination is fine, but if you are throwing it repeatedly in the same situations, it can get a bit dangerous.

Nothing wrong with following the 1-2 with a good hook, though.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

@MangaNasakki thanks! I guess it is kind of a habit or a pattern especially when sparring with the same people over and over again. I like to always clean up with a left hook after every right hand. I forgot to thank you for your contribution to my Foreman's jab thread! thats unreal that you actually felt it. Talk about first hand experience!!
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

The jab-right hand-left hook combination is the foundation of all combinations, because of the footwork and balance required. And whatever combinations you throw, you always want to finish with a left hand (for an orthodox fighter, a right for a southpaw) because it leaves you on-balance.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

I think Magnanasakiis hit the nail on the head you want to keep your offense varied. Don't always through a combination, don't always start a combination with a jab. try feinting the jab right hand to the body then left hook upstairs.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Punisher73
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Depends on what you are supposed to be working on in sparring that day. If you always throw that combo all the time just to beat your partner, then you should expand your tools and see what else you can start to pull off.

If it's a fight and it's working, then obviously you throw it.
Punisher73 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

two piece with a biscuit!

try 1/2/left uppercut
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

You can just vary the combo and be very successful.

Try jab, cross, left hook to the body

Or jab, right hand to the body, left hook head

Mix those two with the standard 1,2,3 and you will really have him guessing.
bck620 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing