hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Baby View Post
Same here.
Plus to OP Toney's head is messed up cos all he did was spar.
Yeah he did hard sparring, I did not know that
hernanday is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #47
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Everyone understands what you are trying to say. Your point is pretty simple. But I disagree. As the old timers say, you play football, you play basketball, you play rugby, you dont "play" boxing.

In years of playing football I never had any concussions or serious injury. In fact I was never even once worried about injury. At the university level we had are own team doctor and training staff who took care of all injuries etc. The first thing you do when you get to a new program is get an "impact test" done which can be later used to check if you are concussed after receiving a big hit or something. If you are they will pull you out of practice and competition and rehab you. In boxing there is nobody like this who watches after you until maybe later in your career if you make it as a bigtime fighter, but boxers dont usually gain that fame until a long time down the road.

The idea I shouldnt be worried about my health is ridiculous. I plan on having a career in boxing and there are lots of risks out there. Simply ignoring them is absolutely terrible advice, and probably a reason a lot of punch drunk guys are in the position they are in.

Yes I love boxing. I have accepted the risks of the sport. But I only have one bill of health and I dont plan on spending the last 50 years of my life shaking and slurring thanks. Taking care of my health is a big priority to me.
I like the way you're making shit up that I've never said.

I'm not even going to bother, you're too dense to get it.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #48
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
What he's trying to say is that every sport has it's own unique problems, and that if you ever want to succeed at these sports you simply have to say "**** it" and go for it.

He's not saying "stop caring about your health" he's stating that there are risks in every single sport, and you have to accept them and continue on with your life.

If you're not willing to accept that one day, you may be blind and deaf because of boxing, then you will never succeed in it.

It's not difficult to comprehend, mate.
Also, the fact that you say you plan on having a career in boxing but you also "plan" to not spend your life brain damaged is pretty much an oxymoron.
You have to realize this is an actual possibility, that may happen to you if you continue. That's the truth of it. You must decide which is more valuable to you.
This is what I'm saying btw, just to make it clear.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #49
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
How'd u get a concussion. What made you quit after your fight?
I got in at ****ing soccer,head to head collision in air.Sounded like 2 rocks banging to each other.After that got up and some ****ing idiot elbowed me at the same spot.
Got up walked 2 steps,droped on my ass,did the same thing twice till my dad grabed me.Complete amnesia,was really messed up.
About the fight it was an international tournament,and i knew from the start things would go bad,got a bladder cold(pissed 40 times that day) cause we traveled in a car with poor heat(January) for several hours,got there,was at weigh in,my opponent wasnt...(another brilliant thing of my coach,he said like "whatever".)
B4 a figh my stupid ass coach didnt hold the mitts for me(he nver did it btw) ,got into the ring with this huge guy(like 8 kg more than me) and got knocked down in 3 round,lost on points.In the lockeroom said to my "coach" **** it,dont want to this "cowboy" shit anymore.Not worth my health or time.
There are more things that preceded that,but nvm.

Last edited by pecho26; 10-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
pecho26 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing