Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Or even a Klitschko if so how would he do it?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Why not? Ernie Terrell was 6'6".
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah but ernie didnt weigh 245lbs
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

No , he could not .

Ali's style was 1 that relied on having size advantage and/or cheating and/or fighting severely lousy opponents and/or having a fix .

Some combination of d above .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
Yeah but ernie didnt weigh 245lbs
I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs. Take another example, Joe Bugner. 6'4" guy, weighed 230lbs against Ali. So yeah, I still believe Ali could handle Lewis' size pretty well.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs. Take another example, Joe Bugner. 6'4" guy, weighed 230lbs against Ali. So yeah, I still believe Ali could handle Lewis' size pretty well.
THIS . Plus check again and can people stop with this bilge -LENNOX LEWIS' PRIME FIGHTING WEIGHT WAS NOT 245lbs - his peak was anywhere from the 227lbs version up to 238 VERY MAX - the 245 Lennox was a big fat slob compared to that guy
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Exactly !

Ali would adapt like he did in so many other ways.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=Andrei00;13960532]I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs.
That's kind of dodging the question if we're honest. When doing a fantasy matchup you have to compare the two fighters as they REALLY were.

Quote:
Take another example, Joe Bugner. 6'4" guy, weighed 230lbs against Ali. So yeah, I still believe Ali could handle Lewis' size pretty well.
Joe Bugner did not have the power or fighting style of a man like Lennox Lewis, and more often than not, fought a defensive minded style rather than initiating any sort of attack.. In either case, Lewis was still even bigger than Bugner and would likely be larger than any man Ali ever fought. If not, he was certainly more well rounded as a big man in terms of size, power, conditioning, mobility, skill, etc..

Now to clearify, I haven't a clue as to who would win.. Muhammad Ali will always be the better fighter in my mind, from the stand point of having greater accomplishments and doing better against the rest of the field. But I'm not confident in picking a winner between the two of them.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Joe Bugner did not have the power or fighting style of a man like Lennox Lewis, and more often than not, fought a defensive minded style rather than initiating any sort of attack.. In either case, Lewis was still even bigger than Bugner and would likely be larger than any man Ali ever fought. If not, he was certainly more well rounded as a big man in terms of size, power, conditioning, mobility, skill, etc..

Now to clearify, I haven't a clue as to who would win.. Muhammad Ali will always be the better fighter in my mind, from the stand point of having greater accomplishments and doing better against the rest of the field. But I'm not confident in picking a winner between the two of them.
Well, if we're being honest, that also seems like dodging the question to me. He asked about Ali being able to handle Lewis' size, and I came with examples of boxers who fought Ali and who were either taller than Lennox, or similar to him in terms of weight and height.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

On the one hand I think Lewis would have been too much for Ali, but then I think of how an old Holyfield gave him a tough fight in the rematch...

These question are always hard, but Lewis and Wlad are the most difficult opponents for Ali that I can think of. Wlad even more so perhaps.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, if we're being honest, that also seems like dodging the question to me. He asked about Ali being able to handle Lewis' size, and I came with examples of boxers who fought Ali and who were either taller than Lennox, or similar to him in terms of weight and height.

Very good job at selectively highlighting only PART of my post... Now let's bring the rest of it to the table.

Quote:
In either case, Lewis was still even bigger than Bugner and would likely be larger than any man Ali ever fought. If not, he was certainly more well rounded as a big man in terms of size, power, conditioning, mobility, skill, etc..
There we go.. Helps to have a broader view of the big picture.

And in either case, this is definitely trying to change the argument.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
Or even a Klitschko if so how would he do it?
I think he'd find a way to win. He was faster, had a great chin, and decent power of his own. His accurate punches would be a big factor. 6'3" with an 82" reach and still solid at 215-220 Lbs. He'd be big enough.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Very good job at selectively highlighting only PART of my post... Now let's bring the rest of it to the table.

There we go.. Helps to have a broader view of the big picture.

And in either case, this is definitely trying to change the argument.
Well, that's what you did, right? Selected the part of my post which you didn't agree with, I thought it wouldn't be unfair for me to do the same thing. That wasn't my argument, that was my opininon on how Lewis would look like if he were to box in the same era as Ernie. Read what I first posted, what fg2227 posted after me and then my post we're talking about here (read it completely this time), and maybe you'll get my point.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Ali could handle the size as could Louis, Dempsey,Marciano and Frazier,and most of them have done so. The thing is could he beat a great big man such as Lewis or the Klitschko's, fighters who have had great amateur experience and learned the trade by making mistakes in the Pro arena and overcoming...Good question....How do great fighters overcome the advantages of another great fighter. I would think they take advantage of their own advantages and in Ali's case it would be speed of hand and movement as well as strength of mind and will to win.

My feeling is that he would do well but Lewis and the K's are a different breed of big man, another level...that being said, when great fights great, sometimes little intangibles can make a difference.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, that's what you did, right? Selected the part of my post which you didn't agree with, I thought it wouldn't be unfair for me to do the same thing. That wasn't my argument, that was my opininon on how Lewis would look like if he were to box in the same era as Ernie. Read what I first posted, what fg2227 posted after me and then my post we're talking about here (read it completely this time), and maybe you'll get my point.

No I responded to your ENTIRE post which was this, and let's break it down together.

Quote:
Andrei00 I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs. Take another example, Joe Bugner. 6'4" guy, weighed 230lbs against Ali. So yeah, I still believe Ali could handle Lewis' size pretty well.
I then responded with this:

Quote:
mr. magoo.
That's kind of dodging the question if we're honest. When doing a fantasy matchup you have to compare the two fighters as they REALLY were.

And since it was a two part reply, I finished with this.

Quote:
mr.magoo

Analysis.

I addressed both of your points in two parts.

1. That assuming Lewis would come in at a certain weight in a different era was bullshit and dodging the question

and

2. That Lewis had nothing in common with Joe Bugner, making that a ridiculous comparison..

Did I miss anything that you'd like to share. Perhaps some invisible typing?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum