Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #136
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
People just say he'd "Pressure Wlad and walk him down and fight him because he has the harder chin and he's tougher!" Wlad would want him to do that. Coming forward, onto the jab? Plays completely into his hands. Walking through punches to brawl and break a guy down, Rocky Marciano style, isn't all that easy. It's incredibly difficult, and more often then not, you take too many punches to accomplish your ultimate goal. Younger K is an awful style match up for bigger K.
People, please read this and try to understand.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #137
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
The trainers were lifers; Guys who fought themselves, who learned from the best, and then dedicated themselves to doing it for others.

The list of guys like this is growing shorter then anybody is comfortable admitting.

Also, experience. Boxing IS experience. There is only so much to learn, actually: How to punch, how to move, how to block and parry, and when to punch. The rest of it is comfort, awareness, presence, conditioning, and all that lovely stuff that 99% of men can only get through rounds. Sparring serves this purpose some, but ultimately, to get a true comfort level and a solid identity as a prizefighter, you need to prizefighter.

Archie Moore, as an overall athlete, doesn't look all that impressive on film. But he is a perfect technician; He dictates fights in every sense. That is experience, grit, and a steely mind that people still talk about. I've heard old timers say that when you sat ringside at a Moore fight, you watched his eyes, his feet, and his waist, and you saw artistry.

This is, in fact, what boxing is actually about, and this mindset is dying out.
You know, when I was a kid my dad used to take me to soccer games. I remember these games as flawless and exciting soccer performances. Then, I started playing myself and then the games never looked perfect anymore. I started seeing mistakes, ways to improve and how I would play it differently. May be the new generation lost it or may be I just did not know any better. Who's to say.
bremen is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #138
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Any trainer'll tell you that experience is what makes a fighter...sparring, fighting. Back then you had guys straight up fighting all the damn time and sparring in between that. Guys were thrown in with other good fighters regularly. So you had guys fighting more, and their average quality of opponent was way higher. Leads to more mastery of the sport.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #139
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Any trainer'll tell you that experience is what makes a fighter...sparring, fighting. Back then you had guys straight up fighting all the damn time and sparring in between that. Guys were thrown in with other good fighters regularly. So you had guys fighting more, and their average quality of opponent was way higher. Leads to more mastery of the sport.
BINGO!

and as I said earlier, add to that the Mental Toughness that came with Poverty & Hard times, Very Hard times... everybody was tougher, more resilent and austere.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #140
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Old Timers were more dedicated & had way less distractions than modern boxers. (especially since the Jet age revolution in the 1960's & the internet revolution of the 1990's).
Modern distractions: smart phones, sports cars, social mediA, etc. It is amazing how a smart phone can be so distracting & completely stop you from having a good ' marvin hagler style' training session.

In short. Old time boxers could focus on their crAft & were less likely to be derailed by societal distractions.
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #141
YUZO WANTANABE
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabuzz View Post
Old Timers were more dedicated & had way less distractions than modern boxers. (especially since the Jet age revolution in the 1960's & the internet revolution of the 1990's).
Modern distractions: smart phones, sports cars, social mediA, etc. It is amazing how a smart phone can be so distracting & completely stop you from having a good ' marvin hagler style' training session.
you know its hard for me to really think of any fighter today who gives me that impression of total sacrifice to the sport anymore. just a guy who lives for the craft of boxing. these guys fight once a year if theyre busy that year. how dedicated can you be to this when you fight once a year and youre already millionaire before the bell ever rings.
YUZO WANTANABE is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #142
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUZO WANTANABE View Post
you know its hard for me to really think of any fighter today who gives me that impression of total sacrifice to the sport anymore. just a guy who lives for the craft of boxing. these guys fight once a year if theyre busy that year. how dedicated can you be to this when you fight once a year and youre already millionaire before the bell ever rings.
Ward actually strikes me that way...guy just works his ass off, is 100% committed, true student of the game, and chills with his family in his free time.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #143
steve w
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Desperation was a factor, victories meant food on the table in real haard times, these guys did not sleep in silk pyjamas and regardless of their fame and status felt an obligation to fight as frequenly as possible, with this, came the extension of their skill set, for the likes of Robinson, Armstrong as examples to fight once or twice a year was unthikable.
steve w is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #144
YUZO WANTANABE
Journeyman

Quote:
Ward actually strikes me that way...guy just works his ass off, is 100% committed, true student of the game, and chills with his family in his free time.
perhaps of ward but what about his opponents?
YUZO WANTANABE is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #145
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The modern boxers are by far the more shredded, more developed and perfected athletes. Their relative prosperity has afforded them more science and thus, more shred. The shreddedness of those old timers leaves just too much to be desired. Seriously, this guy wasn't shredded at all and was a world beater:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Meanwhile, in modern times, we have the most shredded athletes in the history of history. Guys with shred like this are a dime a dozen now.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Compare and contrast the shred and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Seamus; 10-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #146
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Boxing record (amateur + pro) :
W.Klitshcko 192-9
J.Louis 116-7

1974 Word boxing Championship: 274 boxers from 45 countries participating.
2011 Word boxing Championship: 685 boxers from 127 countries participated.

What do you make from that?
bremen is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #147
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Have you people actually watched the old timers? They most certainly weren't better.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #148
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
BINGO!

and as I said earlier, add to that the Mental Toughness that came with Poverty & Hard times, Very Hard times... everybody was tougher, more resilent and austere.
I woulda beat the shit out of a prime you
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #149
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

of course you would have Pach, but not all the other people who think the past was better, ehh?

don't know what your bone is with me, that's a couple of times you've been ignorant to me, though I know one thing for certain, your a credit to your race .
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #150
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Have you people actually watched the old timers? They most certainly weren't better.
Have you?

What do you think of Canzoneri Vs Chocolate?
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum