Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

It's quite interesting because although I do see Ali battling somewhat with the height and reach of Lewis or Wlad, I think they'd both struggle with his speed of hand and foot.

The weight is not a problem for Ali in the slightest...the weight advantage would only count in close, and I don't see Ali v Lewis or Ali vs. Wlad as anything other than long range fights, with the odd clinch here and there.

Basically, I see these fights as chess matches, and very much a battle of the jabs. I think Ali's jab beats Lewis' jab, but Wlad's jab could be harder to counter. Ali didn't miss a trick though, and if he did find a weakness to exploit, he would exploit it to the fullest.
Both hit harder than Ali, but power isn't going to faze Ali who as we all know had an elite level chin. Neither are going to land with enough leather to put meaningful combo's on the guy either, so knockouts are out of the question, imo.

Over 15 rounds, I think Ali would be fighting at a pace that the other two guys would not be accustomed to, and would be hard-pressed to match. That could be a significant factor later in the fight.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The question is beyond stupid. Ali would beat Lewis and both Klit brothers. Anyone who thinks size will beat an Ali or Joe Louis know nothing of boxing. Both fighters would Win and win with relative ease.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
The question is beyond stupid.
No it isn't.

Not for someone who has enough forsight to realize that there would be more than just mere size brought to the table on Lewis's end.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Frazier was 5'11" and gave Ali way more trouble then Terell or Bugner--it ain' t the height, its the talent. Klitcshko has the talent.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali and Louis would easily beat either walking statue...no contest whatsoever.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ali and Louis would easily beat either walking statue...no contest whatsoever.

Awesome analysis there. They should make a sticky thread based on your comment alone.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Awesome analysis there. They should make a sticky thread based on your comment alone.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

Quote:
Analysis.

I addressed both of your points in two parts.

1. That assuming Lewis would come in at a certain weight in a different era was bullshit and dodging the question

and

2. That Lewis had nothing in common with Joe Bugner, making that a ridiculous comparison..

Did I miss anything that you'd like to share. Perhaps some invisible typing?
1. First of all, I wasn't dodging the question since I've already answered it. If it's bullshit or not, we'll never know. For a guy who fought his first 5 or 6 years below 240lbs, I'm saying it would be pretty stupid to think that he'd fight at 245 in a very different era, against faster boxers and probably more powerful punchers. However, it had nothing to do with how would a fantasy matchup between Ali and Lewis look like. So you didn't get my point after commenting about it three times.

2. The original question was: "Could Ali handle the size of Lewis?" I posted a few examples of guys who were comparable to Lewis' in terms of size, and who Ali boxed against managing to handle their size pretty well. Again, you missed my point.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=Andrei00;13962959]
Quote:
For a guy who fought his first 5 or 6 years below 240lbs, I'm saying it would be pretty stupid to think that he'd fight at 245 in a very different era
You never mentioned that before. You're post read ( and the agenda was pretty clear ) that if Lewis was fighting in Ali's era that you were fairly certain he'd be less than 245 lbs. You never commented on the segmentation of his career, and frankly I think we both know that his prime came later when incidentally, he was a bit larger than 230. Hence it came off as though you were trying to morph Lewis into someone that he wasn't. Kinda similar to arguments which harbor that if Rocky Marciano were fighting in the 90's he'd be larger than 185 lbs. Certainly a possibility but not a given.

Quote:
However, it had nothing to do with how would a fantasy matchup between Ali and Lewis look like. So you didn't get my point after commenting about it three times.
I think I retorted your original wording quite well.

Quote:
The original question was: "Could Ali handle the size of Lewis?" I posted a few examples of guys who were comparable to Lewis' in terms of size, and who Ali boxed against managing to handle their size pretty well.
Which I then pointed out were dissimilar to Lewis in just about every other way, and were still Lewis's lesser in size in size.

Quote:
Again, you missed my point.
Which is?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

Quote:
Which is?
No thanks, I rest my case.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
No thanks, I rest my case.
LOL

Sorry.. You being sort of new around here, I felt the urge for a little ball busting.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
The question is beyond stupid. Ali would beat Lewis and both Klit brothers. Anyone who thinks size will beat an Ali or Joe Louis know nothing of boxing. Both fighters would Win and win with relative ease.
I sometimes do retarded things, but I am bipolar or something.

You are just stupid.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Terrell was a mummy. Lewis was not.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

If anyone smaller could do it, he could. But I think the size of Lennox and the Klitchkos is too big for Ali and would win a decision over him.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #30
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What do all Large guys with jabs like Lewis and Klitschko have as vulnerabilities.
1. Klitschko reach is also 80, so there goes his jab. Him and ali have equal reaches meaning the guy with the faster fist and feet win. And I don't even have to explain that one further.
2. Lewis arms are longer, he hits harder, but again the downside of being tall is when you throw your jab you are vulnerable to counters by a fast footed or a fast handed opponent, and no one has faster feet nor hands in the heavyweight division save for possibly tyson or patterson in their primes.

ali is not sitting around, he is sticking and moving, he is going to make these big guys move, they are going to get tired and neither has good endurance. Klitschko got rope a doped by ross purrity, who do you think rope a dopes better ross puritty or muhammad ali. Lennox only lost by being koed 2 times under 6 rounds with surprise shots. I have Ali winning both handedly by knockouts.
hernanday is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum