Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
kirk
C1
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ill swallow my Blood before i swallow my Pride
Posts: 25,159
vCash: 1001
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
MMA is in a SERIOUS decline. .
I did not know this, and if true, is suprising.

Interesting
kirk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #17
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
MMA is in a SERIOUS decline.
Based on what, exactly?

And when was the peak? Two or three years ago?

Call me when Fox isn't showing MMA cards anymore. You'll have to wait a minimum of six years for that, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
If this downwards trend continues MMA will positively return to a niche sport
Return to a niche sport?

You mean....... as it was before Zuffa? Within the span of many active, still-relevant fighter's careers?

When you loved it and everything was great?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #18
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I did not know this, and if true, is suprising.

Interesting
It's not true. This is coming from a guy who:

1) Reckons that bodybuilding is a bigger deal than MMA.

2) Has the logo of a failed MMA organization (that the UFC replaced as the major brand in the sport) tattooed on his arm. (No joke)

3) Won't say anything positive about the UFC or what it has done for the sport, ever.

4) Is so holplessly biased that he doesn't think that Brock Lesnar should be in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 2203
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
It's not true. This is coming from a guy who:

1) Reckons that bodybuilding is a bigger deal than MMA.

2) Has the logo of a failed MMA organization (that the UFC replaced as the major brand in the sport) tattooed on his arm. (No joke)

3) Won't say anything positive about the UFC or what it has done for the sport, ever.

4) Is so holplessly biased that he doesn't think that Brock Lesnar should be in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Line 4(being biased)
Oh,the irony,but don't allow FACTS get in your way.
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gaia
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 109
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Based on what, exactly?

And when was the peak? Two or three years ago?

Call me when Fox isn't showing MMA cards anymore. You'll have to wait a minimum of six years for that, of course.



Return to a niche sport?

You mean....... as it was before Zuffa? Within the span of many active, still-relevant fighter's careers?

When you loved it and everything was great?

scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 349
vCash: 1300
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
MMA will positively return to a niche sport as right now the casual fans are walking away from it in their 10's of thousands. Thats not anything not to give a **** about.
Alot arent really fans at all, just people going to something because its an event.

It would not matter how well any MMA org ran itself as the sport progresses & becomes more mainstream it looses its raw appeal and in doing so becomes less of an event.
globeman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
No disrespect intended Achilles but you're a relative noob to this sport and a **** most certainly needs to be given here.
MMA is in a SERIOUS decline. The Fuel card did very poor numbers. Likewise even Bellator are struggling too. The UFC has also been routinely putting on garbage cards as well as being plagued by injury's.
Now SF is literally days may be hours from closing its door.
There's a running theme here and its Dana White and Zuffa. They're killing this sport and dragging others down with them.
Prior to Zuffa Showtime and SF had an excellent relationship. The coverage was vital to the success of the brand and was the main reason why SF had such a good year off the back of the GP prior to being bought. Because of Dana's complete lack of professionalism, Showtime are now going to ditch MMA. Thats bad bad news for fans and most of all for fighters.
Only recently John Fitch was complaining how tough it is for fighters to make a living outside of MMA. And the main reason for this is not the economic down turn but simply because fighters have far fewer options now.
It pains me to see an Organisation like SF that has been around since the mid 80's get thrown to the dogs simply because Zuffa didn't give a shit about it. But alas this has always been the Zuffa way. They've never ever been interested in monetizing or cultivating any of their acquisitions.
If this downwards trend continues MMA will positively return to a niche sport as right now the casual fans are walking away from it in their 10's of thousands. Thats not anything not to give a **** about.
Following a sport for circa 10 years isn't a noob and trying to pull rank is never a cool thing. The sport isn't in decline and you'll spout this off for years to come.

I agree that if SF close its door it isn't a good thing. I'm all for a ruling major organisation but the smaller orgs are needed to breed competition.

Many will come and many will go just like promotions in boxing. We still have a thirst to watch a good fight but these businesses are being run poorly and thats what it comes down to.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Strikeforce not yet licensed for Nov. 3 show

Quote:
Strikeforce has yet to submit a promoter's license or seek a permit for an event on Nov. 3 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, but the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission still expects the event to take place.

OSAC representative Aleta Billings today told MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) that Strikeforce restated its intent to promote the card as recently as two weeks ago, but hasn't heard anything since.

Billings said a reasonable cutoff for the promotion to submit the paperwork is "a couple of weeks out" and indicated the commission hasn't received any indication of a possible cancelation.

The OSAC regulates combat sports events held in Oklahoma. It has never overseen a Strikeforce event but has several times done so for big-brother promotion UFC.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcity View Post
Line 4(being biased)
Oh,the irony,but don't allow FACTS get in your way.
What?

I'm a fan of the UFC and what it has done for the sport, sure. Should I apologize for not being a hater? But I'm not a blind nuthugger. They do plenty of shit that I disapprove of. But they also provide me the opportunity to enjoy regular MMA cards on my TV, which NEVER happened pre-Zuffa.

The FACTS are that they try to stifle competition and run the entire sport by themselves. So what? What are they supposed to do? Encourage competing orgs to challenge them? Dilute their product across two or three or four banners?

The UFC has brought MUCH greater profile and legitimacy to MMA than it has ever had before. Because of the success they have had, they open the door for smaller local promotions to spring up across the world. If one of those promotions is better run and becomes a rival, good. Competition is good. If not, then all the top fighters will be in one org fighting for ONE recognized "king of the division" belt. As opposed to Condit, Diaz and GSP all calling themselves world champions of different orgs and never fighting each other.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Tell me again why exactly Brock Lesnar shouldn't be in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Well, when I say "again", I mean "explain it for the first time."

Really, I'm sure you have quite an objective, legitimate argument to make.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Tell me again why exactly Brock Lesnar shouldn't be in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Well, when I say "again", I mean "explain it for the first time."

Really, I'm sure you have quite an objective, legitimate argument to make.


FFS why do I get into these worthless argument again....


Haggis you are prolly one of the only people here that think PPV rating and popularity should come into question for being HOF worthy.


The thing you don't seems to understand is that since the UFC will reign supreme alot of people will consider the UFC HOF like the MMA HOF...


Seriously...Lesnar in any HOF is a ****in disgrace


Don't even bring the belt and the 2 shitty title defence in what could be called one of the worst weight division of all time into the argument because you are diggin you own freaking grave with those...
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #28
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
The thing you don't seems to understand is that since the UFC will reign supreme alot of people will consider the UFC HOF like the MMA HOF...
Are we talking about the MMA Hall of Fame? No, we're talking about the UFC Hall of Fame.

Are we talking about the Hall of Guys Who Kicked the Most Ass and Had the Most Well-Rounded Skillsets and the Longest Careers and Oh Yeah, Scurla and Neville Have To Like Them As Well? No.

It's the Hall of Fame. So the most famous champion in MMA history must be in there. End of story. How anyone can dispute that is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Seriously...Lesnar in any HOF is a ****in disgrace
Why? Oh yeah, because you don't like the guy. That's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Don't even bring the belt and the 2 shitty title defence in what could be called one of the worst weight division of all time into the argument because you are diggin you own freaking grave with those...
Oh, so now successful title fights against two HOFers, plus an undefeated top contender, are "shitty" and don't count in the discussion.

So we're not allowed to consider his in-cage accomplishments. (Brock defended twice - no UFC HW has yet managed 3 in a row)

And we're not allowed to consider his impact on the sport either, or the unparalleled attention he drew to his fights.

So basically, your argument (and scurla's) is "**** Brock Lesnar, I don't like him." And that's it, that's your entire argument.


Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 10-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon



And Brock fought in Strikeforce when?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #30
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Showtime close to ending Strikeforce deal, promotion could fold soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post


And Brock fought in Strikeforce when?
Never. Why would he?

Can't say I'm too gutted about Strikeforce folding, though I enjoyed the couple of shows of theirs that I saw.

Meanwhile, I'd rather see Cormier and Melendez in big fights in the UFC rather than killing time away from the spotlight. Boxing doesn't have a unified promotional company, and I can't see how the competing promotions all trying to protect their fighters and **** each other over has been good for the sport. Does anyone really think that MMA's #1 and #2 p4p guys could be in the same weight division in the UFC for years and never fight each other?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013