boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Can Amir Khan revive his career and reach elite championship status.
Yes he can 8 19.51%
No he's done 4 9.76%
He's not done, but he will never be elite. He will just be 2nd tier 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Nay_Sayer
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko revived his career after 3 brutal ko's, why can't Amir Khan do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Anyways do you guys think he can come back like Wladimir?
There are some glaring differences between Klitschko's and Khan's situations. Very glaring.

First, Wlad has had the benefit of a bonafide HOF worthy trainer in Emmanuel Steward. Second, Wlad fights in the ****tiest division in all of boxing. Third, Wlad enjoys tremendous physical advantages over 99% of his opponents.

NONE of those conditions exist for Khan.

Khan's career is essentially over. He MAY win a belt in the future, but the elite @ 140/147 are going to be too much for him, IMO...
Nay_Sayer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko revived his career after 3 brutal ko's, why can't Amir Khan do

Even after brutal loses and obvious weakness on Khan, I wouldn't count him out. His strengths can overshadow those shortcomings when dealt with properly. I, for one, am looking forward to how he manages the work ahead.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wlad has two-fisted punching power, one of the greatest trainers in the history of boxing and the willingness to learn from his mistakes and constantly improve. A lot of posters have mentioned his physical advantages. 6 foot 5 inch Thompson gave Wlad real troubles in their first fight. Wlad learned from the experience and slaughtered Thompson in their second encounter. As other posters have noted Wlad's humbleness has allowed him to learn and progress. I don't get that vibe with Khan.
skier47 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
HitBattousai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
There are some glaring differences between Klitschko's and Khan's situations. Very glaring.

First, Wlad has had the benefit of a bonafide HOF worthy trainer in Emmanuel Steward. Second, Wlad fights in the ****tiest division in all of boxing. Third, Wlad enjoys tremendous physical advantages over 99% of his opponents.

NONE of those conditions exist for Khan.

Khan's career is essentially over. He MAY win a belt in the future, but the elite @ 140/147 are going to be too much for him, IMO...
This is pretty much what I feel as well. Khan can still win belts given the right matchup but against elite fighters or just very good fighters with the correct gameplan he will lose.
HitBattousai is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
The Mangler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Khan ain't gonna become a master of defense like Wlad. And Wlad has the physicality to help him defensively. His opponents try to rush him, but get reluctant due to his rt hand power and stiff jab. Plus, he tall as hell and can easily reach over his opponents' shoulders to tie em up.

Khan just ain't built like Wlad. Not to mention he a crybaby. He don't seem like he got the personality to recover and become dominant.
The Mangler is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I responded to a post about something else and drew a comparison between Khan and Wlad, so it's worth reposting here:

"It's interesting to hear someone say this, after all the flak that Khan got for taking soft opponents. It seems like one of Khan's biggest motivators is to prove people wrong, whether it be about his punch resistance, or just how good he is in general. Winning the title exacerbated that. The ****y attitude which grew out his success also led to his last TKO. The game plan he executed against Kotelnik would stand him in good stead if he had applied something similar against Garcia...but he got drawn into a brawl, which is a ring IQ issue.

If we look at someone like Wladimir Klitschko, he had three bad TKO losses, two of which actually came a little later in his career. However, following the last loss Wlad and Emmanuel went back to the drawing board and somehow reinvented him as pretty much unbeatable on the current heavyweight scene (and decent in any era), with people now mentioning him in some ATG discussions. That is an absolutely monumental achievement and that will be rightly viewed in a very positive light once he retires.

The question is can Khan do the same? Can Virgil be to Khan what Emmanuel is to Wlad? Ultimately I think it all comes down to whether he can get his feet on the ground, take a realistic look at the situation, get all the 'yes men' out of his mind for a while, and forge an appropriate style, with Virgil, to suit his physical abilities and limitations. Khan has to accept that, and use it as a foundation upon which to make his weaknesses almost irrelevant, and his strengths almost impossible to overcome.

After a few fights with Virgil I think we'll have a lot of insight into how the rest of Khan's career is going to pan out. But if I had to bet on it now, unfortunately I think Khan just lacks the required awareness and general boxing IQ necessary in order to appreciate that changes that he has to make. However, I hope he can do it, and become a little more humble in the process.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt View Post
I responded to a post about something else and drew a comparison between Khan and Wlad, so it's worth reposting here:

"It's interesting to hear someone say this, after all the flak that Khan got for taking soft opponents. It seems like one of Khan's biggest motivators is to prove people wrong, whether it be about his punch resistance, or just how good he is in general. Winning the title exacerbated that. The ****y attitude which grew out his success also led to his last TKO. The game plan he executed against Kotelnik would stand him in good stead if he had applied something similar against Garcia...but he got drawn into a brawl, which is a ring IQ issue.

If we look at someone like Wladimir Klitschko, he had three bad TKO losses, two of which actually came a little later in his career. However, following the last loss Wlad and Emmanuel went back to the drawing board and somehow reinvented him as pretty much unbeatable on the current heavyweight scene (and decent in any era), with people now mentioning him in some ATG discussions. That is an absolutely monumental achievement and that will be rightly viewed in a very positive light once he retires.

The question is can Khan do the same? Can Virgil be to Khan what Emmanuel is to Wlad? Ultimately I think it all comes down to whether he can get his feet on the ground, take a realistic look at the situation, get all the 'yes men' out of his mind for a while, and forge an appropriate style, with Virgil, to suit his physical abilities and limitations. Khan has to accept that, and use it as a foundation upon which to make his weaknesses almost irrelevant, and his strengths almost impossible to overcome.

After a few fights with Virgil I think we'll have a lot of insight into how the rest of Khan's career is going to pan out. But if I had to bet on it now, unfortunately I think Khan just lacks the required awareness and general boxing IQ necessary in order to appreciate that changes that he has to make. However, I hope he can do it, and become a little more humble in the process.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 704

For all the physical attributes both have i think the biggest difference is simply the boxing iq and the humility to change your game.

Khan is extremely arrogant and as dumb as a brick, he STILL goes ***** to the wall when hes hurt.
He also blames everyone but himself for a loss.

Wlad also carefully listens and executes what Manny tells him to do, Khan simply ignores anything Freddy says.
Daruf is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

Wladimirs division lacks great opposition. Khans doesnt.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

when exactly was Wlad "brutally KO'd"?
Montero is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Klitschko is white, white people always get a 2nd chance, Khan is a brownie, he gets 1 shot and thats it
hernanday is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montero View Post
when exactly was Wlad "brutally KO'd"?
****. Jesus Christ .

He was brutally beaten down 3 times... Wtf do you Klit****s want?

Him to DIE in the ring for you guys to admit he was beaten down 3 times?

He wasn't 'brutally koed' he was just beaten the **** UP..

does that sound better?
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqEANlBbhsA[/ame]

Wladimir was not brutally koed....

He was just ****d.. there is a difference.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
****. Jesus Christ .

He was brutally beaten down 3 times... Wtf do you Klit****s want?

Him to DIE in the ring for you guys to admit he was beaten down 3 times?

He wasn't 'brutally koed' he was just beaten the **** UP..

does that sound better?
Haha I'm not Klit****.

He was stopped 3 times in his career, not brutally KO'd like Prescott-Kahn, Rahman-Lewis, etc. The only fight he was "beaten the **** up" in was against Corrie Sanders.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #30
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I was a big Khan fan. He has so much speed and skills yet he didn't use them and would try and brawl with guys and leave himself open. Even after getting stopped with that tactic he still would leave his chin wide open to get hit. I don't think he will ever be great. He has great speed but not great skill and discipline.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum