Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #286
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Funny how Liston has all of a sudden been reduced to a guy who simply sticks the jab in an effort to keep the smaller man off of him. Apparently some have forgotten that the power in that right hand of his is enough to send Marciano into the isles with the popcorn venders.
Archie Moore had more ko's than almost anyone isn history, and hit as hard as Liston. Sonny Liston got that hard hitter rep from fighting lesser fighters. Shit, people bring up Nino Valdez--Archie moore beat him easily, , and it was coming off Archie being injured. Why do you think Liston was such hard hitter? He could punch, but he was slow, and was ko'd himself. His 'Mean, bad" rep came from being scary looking, and being Black ex-con, which scared some back then. Marciano would go through him. Liston was not that talented, or that tough when going got rough.
Danmann is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #287
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I'm not doubting Rocky's power. You guys just seem to think that Liston's entire fate is based on him controlling Marciano with the jab. You are then proceding to work off that to illustrate how Rocky would slip the jab, get inside and pummel Liston like he's a defensless bitch being raped, which is utterly ridiculous.
I did not say that but on the other hand people are portraying Rocky as a guy that would come in and let Liston hit him at will, lets not forget Rocky had 2 good hands, one of the hardest single one punch punchers who could also swarm and also the hardest puncher that Sonny ever faced...Rocky was also far from a defenseless bitch being raped
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #288
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Danmann;13962565]Archie Moore had more ko's than almost anyone isn history
Yes with most of them coming at middleweight and light heavy

Quote:
and hit as hard as Liston.
I doubt that, but what evidence do you have to support that? Ever fight either of em'?

Quote:
Sonny Liston got that hard hitter rep from fighting lesser fighters.
You mean like Floyd Patterson who Liston creamed twice and who people are arguing hammer and tong on another thread as we speak, about weather or not Rocky would even beat him, let alone destroy?

Quote:
Shit, people bring up Nino Valdez--Archie moore beat him easily,
Easily? LOL... No my friend. LISTON beat Valdez "easily". Moore on the other hand. Well lets see what the united press had to say about that.

"In the rough battle, referee Jim Braddock took one round away from each battler because of low blows. There were no knockdowns but each was knocked back onto his heels several times during the exciting slugging match. Archie Moore was bleeding from the nose and mouth at the finish, and his left eye also was swollen. But he could see very well. Nino Valdes forced the fighting in nearly every round and tried to impale his bobbing-weaving opponent with long left jabs and whistling rights. In the 13th session, Nino's left eye was closed tightly shut and he fought on half-blinded and fatigued. Moore's superiority in the 14th and 15th rounds clinched the fight and gave Moore his 20th straight victory." -United Press

Hardly sounds like it was easy to me.

Quote:
Why do you think Liston was such hard hitter?
Um maybe because it has something to do with the fact that he handed top rank heavy's their ass, and how most people with a sound mind wanted nothing to do with being hit by him.

Quote:
He could punch, but he was slow, and was ko'd himself. His 'Mean, bad" rep came from being scary looking, and being Black ex-con, which scared some back then.
Well whatever it was, weather it be being black, scary, slow, knock out prone or even an offender of the law, it didn't stop him from flattening an entire division.

Quote:
Marciano would go through him. Liston was not that talented, or that tough when going got rough.
Yes I would just love to see the creative tactics that Rocky would use. Bull rush Liston and throw a barage of hooks and crosses, hoping to land that big bomb that would make Liston quit in his corner.. Creative strategy, but not likely to work.

Last edited by mr. magoo; 10-10-2012 at 03:21 PM.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #289
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Funny how Liston has all of a sudden been reduced to a guy who simply sticks the jab in an effort to keep the smaller man off of him. Apparently some have forgotten that the power in that right hand of his is enough to send Marciano into the isles with the popcorn venders.
Maghoo, I have not forgotten about it. I am the biggest Marciano supporter out there, but I think Liston beats him. Liston has many different ways he can beat him.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #290
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Maghoo, I have not forgotten about it. I am the biggest Marciano supporter out there, but I think Liston beats him. Liston has many different ways he can beat him.

I know Suz',

Some of these guys have gotten so creative that its starting to read like two totally different fighters in this fantasy fight with one of them being a technical genius with super human powers and the other as being a panty waste who quits a fight after a mosquito bite. I thought we were talking about Rocky Marciano vs Sonny Liston.. Have I missed something?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #291
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree, it's ridiculous. These same men try to tear down listons opposition by saying "two 1 round knockout victories over a prime top 20 ATG heavyweight doesn't count because that man was afraid". LOL. or "Cleveland Williams is the most overrated fighter of all time because he had a killer left hook, blinding handspeed, and was a huge physical speciman."

It works both ways though. Did you see the other thread? Someone claimed "ingemar Johansson was stronger and hit harder than Rocky Marciano"
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #292
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I agree, it's ridiculous. These same men try to tear down listons opposition by saying "two 1 round knockout victories over a prime top 20 ATG heavyweight doesn't count because that man was afraid". LOL. or "Cleveland Williams is the most overrated fighter of all time because he had a killer left hook, blinding handspeed, and was a huge physical speciman."

It works both ways though. Did you see the other thread? Someone claimed "ingemar Johansson was stronger and hit harder than Rocky Marciano"

Yeah its funny the lengths some will travel to in an effort to bring someone down. No I didn't see that other thread on ingo and Rocky, but thanks for saving me the trouble.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #293
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Surprisingly close poll. (!)
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #294
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I dount that, but what evidence do you have to support that?

Tragic evidence of archies punching power as a heavyweight:

6'3'' 209lb Aljandro Lavorante was a rated heavyweight contender (#3) when Archie knocked him out in 1962. Lavorante was riding high in the ratings after a good year in 1961 decking zorra folley 4 times then knocking him out (the first to do so since Liston in 1960) and had never been knocked out until meeting archie. Poor Lavorante left the ring on a stretcher ruining him as a fighter. Aljandro should have retired but sadly became one of the rings fatalties just 2 fights later.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #295
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Liston wont need a jab to beat Rocky he just needs to be better than Marciano at medium to close range, I am not sure that he was. Punch power, unpredictable punch sequence and work rate favour Rocky inside IMO.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #296
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey View Post
Albert Westphal likely would agree. He's probably still on the canvas.
Good finish, but who was LIston fighting? Unrated Westphal should never have been allowed to fight Liston. It was an awful mismatch, nothing to gloat about. Poor Albert was 5'7 tall and had lost his last fight, had been KOd 3 times before at a much lower class. Liston was the #1 contender. what chance did wesphal have?
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #297
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Tragic evidence of archies punching power as a heavyweight:

6'3'' 209lb Aljandro Lavorante was a rated heavyweight contender (#3) when Archie knocked him out in 1962. Lavorante was riding high in the ratings after a good year in 1961 decking zorra folley 4 times then knocking him out (the first to do so since Liston in 1960) and had never been knocked out until meeting archie. Poor Lavorante left the ring on a stretcher ruining him as a fighter. Aljandro should have retired but sadly became one of the rings fatalties just 2 fights later.
Lem Franklin died following his fight against a guy with a 40% KO average. Thanks but that doesn't do it for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #298
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

A lot of whining, I see a pretty reasonable poll odds wise.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #299
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Punch power, unpredictable punch sequence and work rate favour Rocky inside IMO.
Rock does NOT have the edge in punching power, and I am a huge proponent of Rocky's power. Liston was a terrific infighter, and threw a huge short compact left hook as well as a deadly uppercut( a punch rocky has never seen from a 215lb huge powerful man)....Liston took apart Floyd Patterson on the inside when Floyd swarmed him.

Rocky fought one very skilled 215lb man, Joe Louis. Joe Louis was old, but still connected many times flush with his jab. Liston in his prime had a phenomenal jab, better than Louis's. Enough to convince me rocky's face would get badly damaged by it on his face in. Furthermore, when rocky did get inside..he would be met with a man that had an abundance of strength, killer short hook, and brutal uppercuts in both hands...Rocky would take a lot of punishment.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #300
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano was harder hitter. He had better record. He would have beaten Paterson, who was scared of Liston. Patterson was beat before he got in ring with Liston. Every expert of that era said Marciano was better. Yet because of Liston's looks, weight, and mysterious death leading to him getting legend status, people are picking him, and making him out o be great.
Danmann is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum