Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Ray Mercer was a stocky 6"1 and giving away inches in reach to Lewis and still managed to out jab Lewis for long stretches of their fight as well as really work Lennox over at mid range.

Ali was taller than Ray, had a longer reach, better jab, much quicker hands,vastly superior mobility and a chin that was in the same class (though I wouldn't say better because Ray's was granite).

Factor in Frank Bruno out boxing a pre-Steward Lewis for a fair percentage of their bout until Lennox got him out of there and I think it's pretty obvious that Lewis wan't invincible and a decent sized guy with skills, smarts and toughness could be very competitive with him. That's not to say there's many who have those qualities in the abundance needed to beat an out and out great like Lewis.

Ali is one who I think has all of the requisite qualities to beat Lewis despite being the smaller man. It's not a given but I think Ali would win.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #32
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
On the one hand I think Lewis would have been too much for Ali, but then I think of how an old Holyfield gave him a tough fight in the rematch...

These question are always hard, but Lewis and Wlad are the most difficult opponents for Ali that I can think of. Wlad even more so perhaps.
Definitely.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #33
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Ali in his prime?..Yes, Much like he did with Liston.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #34
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Ray Mercer was a stocky 6"1 and giving away inches in reach to Lewis and still managed to out jab Lewis for long stretches of their fight as well as really work Lennox over at mid range.

Ali was taller than Ray, had a longer reach, better jab, much quicker hands,vastly superior mobility and a chin that was in the same class (though I wouldn't say better because Ray's was granite).

Factor in Frank Bruno out boxing a pre-Steward Lewis for a fair percentage of their bout until Lennox got him out of there and I think it's pretty obvious that Lewis wan't invincible and a decent sized guy with skills, smarts and toughness could be very competitive with him. That's not to say there's many who have those qualities in the abundance needed to beat an out and out great like Lewis.

Ali is one who I think has all of the requisite qualities to beat Lewis despite being the smaller man. It's not a given but I think Ali would win.
I'd also like to add by using angles, one can diminish an opponents reach. Ie. moving around him in a circular way you can difuse his ability to land shots
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #35
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
I'm pretty sure if Lewis were to live and box in the same era as Ernie, he wouldn't weigh 245lbs. Take another example, Joe Bugner. 6'4" guy, weighed 230lbs against Ali. So yeah, I still believe Ali could handle Lewis' size pretty well.
It wasnt just size with Lewis. It was his combination of size, boxing skills and a razor sharp righthand that packed titanic power. The fact that he had a tough defense and mastered distance makes this a very difficult matchup for any version of Muhammad Ali.

Ernie Terrell and Joe Bugner dont compare.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #36
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Lewis was on steroids, before he gassed up he was only 225-230 or so. Ali would decimate a no steroid using Lewis.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #37
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Lewis was on steroids, before he gassed up he was only 225-230 or so. Ali would decimate a no steroid using Lewis.
Well we know Vitaly juiced, and Wlad has put on 29lbs from his lowest to highest professional weight. Lewis put on 25.5 from his lowest to highest. Going by your logic, Wlad is juicing too.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #38
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

These guys are tough matchups because their skills on the outside came with crushing, brutish strength of close and ATG power.

They challenge him because they can do what he did, lacking in speed but bringing substantially more impact.

I'd LOVE to see a fighter as smart as Ali think his way out of this one. I think he could, but it'd take some work.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #39
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Well we know Vitaly juiced, and Wlad has put on 29lbs from his lowest to highest professional weight. Lewis put on 25.5 from his lowest to highest. Going by your logic, Wlad is juicing too.
This thread is not about anyone but Ali and Lewis.


Try to keep your crazy nut hugging ilk to yourself son.

Wlad was 226 at 21 and 240 at 23......LMAO, his weight gain is totally natural.

Lewis gained 35lbs not 25lbs son.

And back to the point Ali would beat the shit out of Lewis with ease.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #40
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
Frazier was 5'11" and gave Ali way more trouble then Terell or Bugner--it ain' t the height, its the talent. Klitcshko has the talent.
But not the chin, or the desire.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #41
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
Or even a Klitschko if so how would he do it?
Outside of Ali ,I think Lewis is perhaps the toughest matchup for the other heavyweight champions. I pick Ali to beat him , because of his speed and movement. Wlad gets schooled imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #42
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
It wasnt just size with Lewis. It was his combination of size, boxing skills and a razor sharp righthand that packed titanic power. The fact that he had a tough defense and mastered distance makes this a very difficult matchup for any version of Muhammad Ali.

Ernie Terrell and Joe Bugner dont compare.
I can't forget A static Bruno outjabbing Lewis for long periods. Ali was too mobile ,and too fast imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 AM   #43
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 606
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

I'm sorry. How the hell are morons comparing Lewis with K2.

Wladimir Klithscko is a god damn watered down version of LL. Lennox literally does everything Wladimir do, but also adds his own amazing arsenal of inside fighting, upper cuts, combinations, jab variations, over hands, great counter punching, and sleek movement.

Wladimir got no inside game, he rarely throw combinations during his 'prime years' and he is a LOT more vulnerable than Lewis. Don't get tricked by Manny Steward's interviews about how 'Wlad vs Lewis' is a 50-50 fight. Its not. Lewis will KO him within 4 rounds.


Ali being able to UD Wladimir 12-0 or being able to dominate Vitali does not indicate in any way what so ever he can handle a Prime LL.

Prime Lewis is a whole different ball park from Prime VItali (whenever the **** that was) and a whole different ball game from Wladimir.


Wladimir is a great Super Heavy Weight.
Vitali is a great Super Heavy Weight
Riddick Bowe is a great Super Heavy Weight


Lennox Lewis is THE Super Heavyweight. He is the prototype, he is the model every super heavie attempt to achieve and become.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #44
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
I'd also like to add by using angles, one can diminish an opponents reach. Ie. moving around him in a circular way you can difuse his ability to land shots
You can beat a taller man with a good reach advantage if you mount in and out flurries . eg Leonard v Hearns. Lewis's reach is the same as Liston's.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #45
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 606
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I can't forget A static Bruno outjabbing Lewis for long periods. Ali was too mobile ,and too fast imo.
Wtf. You guys can't do this shit man.

If we are talking H2H. We must take the best versions.

So we taking Ali fro, 64-67

and Lewis from Golota fight, Grant Fight, Tua Fight, and Holyfield I.

We doing that. You can't pick Bruno, that's not fair .


That's like me picking Ali from Cooper fight or Frazier III and picking apart his flaws.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013