Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #46
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Ali handle the size of a Lewis?

Yes. Ali easily can handle the 'size of a Lewis'

That's not saying he can handle the REAL Lennox Lewis though.

If we had a time machine and I had to bet all my college tuition
on the best version of LL vs the best version of Ali.

I will put all my college tuition and my mom's house on Lennox. I trust him.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #47
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Wtf. You guys can't do this shit man.

If we are talking H2H. We must take the best versions.

So we taking Ali fro, 64-67

and Lewis from Golota fight, Grant Fight, Tua Fight, and Holyfield I.

We doing that. You can't pick Bruno, that's not fair .

That's like me picking Ali from Cooper fight or Frazier III and picking apart his flaws.
Lewis was the unbeaten Euopean ,and WBC heavyweight champion when he fought Bruno, but if you disagree ,how about his fight with the 6'1"Ray Mercer whose 77" reach out jabbed him for protracted stretches of their fight?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #48
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ali would have a field day.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #49
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
These guys are tough matchups because their skills on the outside came with crushing, brutish strength of close and ATG power.

They challenge him because they can do what he did, lacking in speed but bringing substantially more impact.

I'd LOVE to see a fighter as smart as Ali think his way out of this one. I think he could, but it'd take some work.
I think it would be even harder against Wlad, because he's so extremely precise in doing what he does best (and Ali certainly won't pressure him to "panic").

Lewis was better at keeping a cool head in adversity and adapting, but was also more prone to lose concentration, I'd say. I think that Wlad's more robotic approach would serve him well here.

Ali was great at dropping his right over a jab, though, and if he could do it enought against Wlad to disrupt his rhytm things would get interesting indeed. The jab is the key in both match-ups IMO.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #50
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I think it would be even harder against Wlad, because he's so extremely precise in doing what he does best (and Ali certainly won't pressure him to "panic").

Lewis was better at keeping a cool head in adversity and adapting, but was also more prone to lose concentration, I'd say. I think that Wlad's more robotic approach would serve him well here.

Ali was great at dropping his right over a jab, though, and if he could do it enought against Wlad to disrupt his rhytm things would get interesting indeed. The jab is the key in both match-ups IMO.
Biggest reason I think Wlad would be an issue is he'd outjab Ali, and when the great one tried to work his game in the clinch, he'd be completely overpowered.

I think he'd be able to get that right hand over the top, because Wlad sometimes extends it as a range finder. These are the times for Ali to score. Pot-shotting outside, he loses a decision, as he'd be totally corralled when they came together. He'd have to box an aggressive counter-punchers fight, on the move and taking every opening with gusto.

I think he'd do it; He did it before. But its a hard fight for him.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #51
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
Yeah but ernie didnt weigh 245lbs
Terell didn't hit as hard either, but I do think Ali could match up well vs. super heavies pre Frazier because he was very fast on his feet and had a quick jab.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #52
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Its amazing how people are picking the same Lewis to beat Ali who stuggled vs a 37 year old former cruiserweight named Holyfield in their second fight. Ali does virtually everything better than holyfield, he is much faster with both hands and feet, he would have a much higher work rate and stamina than the old version of Holyfield

Regardless of how "big" Lewis was, i very much doubt he could hit any harder than Liston, Foreman or Shavers and Ali showed he could handle their power.

Lewis is a little too cautious to beat Ali. Ali would simply give him a boxing lesson.
dmt is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #53
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

The size of Lewis is not an issue. Ali took on guys that were as big height wise, and I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as universally good weight at heavyweight, there's only what is good for the individual. Two guys can be the same size and weight with one being solid muscle, and the other being soft.

Lewis would present problems to Ali due to his jab, versatility, (ability to box, ability to go out in seek and destroy mode and punch) and ring IQ. And prime Ali's handspeed, mobility and accurate punching would pose serious problems for Lewis, and I think Lewis would have a tough time pinning Ali down.

It's similar with the Klitschkos, except I think Ali has an easier time with them than with Lewis.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #54
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ali would have a field day.
That's Cleveland Williams right?
A KO on a crippled guy who was shot(literally) and had his intestines removed...........

What are you implying?
Ali would shoot Lewis so he would be "shot" too?
dyna is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #55
jaymon112
MARVELOUS
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
That's Cleveland Williams right?
A KO on a crippled guy who was shot(literally) and had his intestines removed...........

What are you implying?
Ali would shoot Lewis so he would be "shot" too?
Focus on Ali not Williams.
jaymon112 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #56
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post

Lewis will KO WLad
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #57
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
This thread is not about anyone but Ali and Lewis.

Try to keep your crazy nut hugging ilk to yourself son.

Wlad was 226 at 21 and 240 at 23......LMAO, his weight gain is totally natural.

Lewis gained 35lbs not 25lbs son.

And back to the point Ali would beat the shit out of Lewis with ease.
Going by their pro debuts till their last or highest weight fight, Wlad had put on more mass than Lewis and continues to be ripped where Lewis looked soft at higher weights. These are FACTS. So if you think Lewis juiced, you must think Wlad has to, right?

I would pick Ali, but not with ease. Lewos would have a combination of size, speed, power and skills Ali would have to adjust to. Ali by close but unanimous decision.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #58
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymon112 View Post
Focus on Ali not Williams.
That version of Williams probably doesnt make it out of the dressing room against Lewis. If he does he never sees the 2nd round.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #59
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Lewis will KO WLad
Yeah, he well might. After getting outboxed early and rocked by Wlad's right I can see him making it into a brawl (like he did against Vitaly) and take Wlad out into deep waters.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #60
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Going by their pro debuts till their last or highest weight fight, Wlad had put on more mass than Lewis and continues to be ripped where Lewis looked soft at higher weights. These are FACTS. So if you think Lewis juiced, you must think Wlad has to, right?

I would pick Ali, but not with ease. Lewos would have a combination of size, speed, power and skills Ali would have to adjust to. Ali by close but unanimous decision.
Wlad gained about 10lbs as a pro, his 20 or 21 year old weight was boy weight. lewis on the other hand was all juice and all his weight gain came from a bottle.

Prime Ali would not only win every round against Lewis, he would KO him in 8 or less.
DrBanzai is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum