Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 313
Default Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

In 45 fights Joe never knocked out a fighter who couldn't beat the 10 count. Thats a pretty poor statistic to be credited on an apparent ATG.

Stylistically I think Froch is all wrong for Calzaghe. Joe never faced a fighter with such determination and relentless pressure as Froch. Its clear if Hopkins applied a little more vigor and urgency he could of taken the fight.

Froch is at no risk of a KO and would not respect Joe's power. If joe went in to throw his combinations it could possibly be cataclysmically the undoing of him. Calzaghe had a habbit of facing his opponents straight on while Carl turns to the side with his chin tucked under his shoulder. This is what throws the fight in favour of Froch, in the exchange , trade for trade Joe might land more but Froch is getting in the more hurting shots.

Fighter's who trouble Froch the most are well schooled and technical. Dirrell gave Carl problems , not with handseed but by fighting on the backfoot. Joe would not be fighting off the backfoot looking for countering opportunities , he would be coming at Carl with voloume punches. This tactic would play right into Carls hands. The speed wont bother Carl and he will eat a few to land his jab and overhand right. He might be getting outboxed but Joe is slowly getting chopped down and taking the worst out of the exchanges. Carls patience and timing could well result in a late KO victory.

Its just a possiblity, but a very possible one.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

they both present each other with problems, but young Calzaghe takes Froch who is a late bloomer, by SD.

Froch takes old Calzaghe, evident in the way Zagho ran into retirement from him.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 313
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

The Froch of today is serious trouble for any Calzaghe.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,643
vCash: 488
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Clazaghe comfortable UD with Froch going on to say he may retire post fight.
Arcane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Jon Saxon
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
In 45 fights Joe never knocked out a fighter who couldn't beat the 10 count. Thats a pretty poor statistic to be credited on an apparent ATG.

Stylistically I think Froch is all wrong for Calzaghe. Joe never faced a fighter with such determination and relentless pressure as Froch. Its clear if Hopkins applied a little more vigor and urgency he could of taken the fight.

Froch is at no risk of a KO and would not respect Joe's power. If joe went in to throw his combinations it could possibly be cataclysmically the undoing of him. Calzaghe had a habbit of facing his opponents straight on while Carl turns to the side with his chin tucked under his shoulder. This is what throws the fight in favour of Froch, in the exchange , trade for trade Joe might land more but Froch is getting in the more hurting shots.

Fighter's who trouble Froch the most are well schooled and technical. Dirrell gave Carl problems , not with handseed but by fighting on the backfoot. Joe would not be fighting off the backfoot looking for countering opportunities , he would be coming at Carl with voloume punches. This tactic would play right into Carls hands. The speed wont bother Carl and he will eat a few to land his jab and overhand right. He might be getting outboxed but Joe is slowly getting chopped down and taking the worst out of the exchanges. Carls patience and timing could well result in a late KO victory.

Its just a possiblity, but a very possible one.
Jon Saxon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
they both present each other with problems, but young Calzaghe takes Froch who is a late bloomer, by SD.

Froch takes old Calzaghe, evident in the way Zagho ran into retirement from him.
'Ran into retirement from him' don't be a fool. Joe had his fight before Froch beat Pascal, A fight Joe always said was his last. Plus Calzaghe was at 175 a weight that Carl Froch still refuses to fight at.
The Genius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
The Froch of today is serious trouble for any Calzaghe.
An explosive win over Bute and the 'Froch of today' is unbeatable. Everyone forgets the crap he has served up in the past: all those close scorecards. 10 months ago he was made to look a fool for most of the fight against Ward. Before that he was eating right hands from old man Johnson.
The Genius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Genius View Post
'Ran into retirement from him' don't be a fool. Joe had his fight before Froch beat Pascal, A fight Joe always said was his last. Plus Calzaghe was at 175 a weight that Carl Froch still refuses to fight at.
you say that, but Calaghe evidently offered Froch a defence when he was a novice, so cant see why thats such an issue when an all British fight would have been a big money spinner now that CF had shown potential.

175, well. 15 + years at SMW and suddenly he cant make it for 1 year of his life. I dont know, was a catchweight really out of the question, or did Joe simlpy say' NO, not ever'
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,893
vCash: 75
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

As much as I dislike Calzaghe, he would have boxed circles round Froch.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 313
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Clazaghe comfortable UD with Froch going on to say he may retire post fight.
That a great assesment, you convinced me.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 313
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Saxon View Post
Outstanding counter arguement.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 313
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
As much as I dislike Calzaghe, he would have boxed circles round Froch.
If old man B-hop can put him down along with other bottom feeder's what do you think Froch would do once the red mist come opon him?
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
If old man B-hop can put him down along with other bottom feeder's what do you think Froch would do once the red mist come opon him?
I agree that for prime Calzaghe, a pre-prime or young Froch would have been his toughest fight bar Mikkel, but I think he has enough to scrape it when he was prime. Froch would also give prime Zaghes too much respect which would have him lose a SD, marginally. In NOttingham Froch might well take it.


postprime Calzaghe was another matter, theres a good reason why he picked oldies to face during that era.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 2023
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
If old man B-hop can put him down along with other bottom feeder's what do you think Froch would do once the red mist come opon him?
Katsidis put Marquez down but Pacquiao couldnt do it, sometimes its just lucky punches that catch the fighter of guard
alakran is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Froch V Calzaghe. A Close Fight?

Wouldnt be easy but i think Calzaghe would take it . Froch too slow, Joe would box his head off, taking a few in the process, pretty wide decision.
Wasnt his biggest fan but Calzaghe is very under-rated on this board.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013