Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #226
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
But those guys I mentioned were world class, and you said Eubank avoided all world class fighters, all top guys. That was a lie.
Im busy at the moment, but I will come back to this later on today
general zod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #227
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
General Zod chops and changes his posts to suit. He makes his own rating system and thinks its gospel, like Loudon does and then they cheer each other on.
I could show you posts where Zod has said one thing on one post and then changed it the same week to suit another debate.
You stop taking him seriously very quickly, though he does sometimes provide some good links
No one in this forum(except your fellow eurofanboys) takes you or your (copy and pasted) Boxrec laden posts seriously

Mger masckas987ygd is a good win for Calzaghe?

Last edited by general zod; 10-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #228
larryx2012
I AM BETTER THEN YOU
East Side Guru

vCash: 571251

Come back get his ass kicked and lose his 0???
larryx2012 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #229
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

but if you were JC, then you wouldnt care about your zero, would you, so you would comeback.

Its JC's mind that wanted to keep his zero, not your mind.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #230
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1571

Calzaghe proved he was teh best SMW of his era and went up and got a title at LHW, retired undefeated and was one of the best of his era
Now Ward is the best SMW is undefeated and proving to be one of the best of this era cant you all just agree with that and stop arguing about something that you will never have an answer to? Calzaghe wuold be stupid to come out of retirement
alakran is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #231
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
No one in this forum(except your fellow eurofanboys) takes you or your (copy and pasted) Boxrec laden posts seriously

Ottke beats Jones?
I'm not a Ward Hater or obsessed with Calzaghe.

They might take it to several extremes at times, but overall they do have their points.

For instance, all their ROY Jones Jr exposing led others to research on Roy.

Do you at least admit there is a possibility Roy 'avoided' maybe just ONE of the following big punchers?

Benn
Eubank
Jackson
Mccellan
Nunn

? I'm not saying he avoided all of them, but surely he must have been tentative to fight at least 1-2 of them.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #232
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

unn yeah but the question is IF YOU WERE JC.

Everyone knows JC wouldnt fight a guy like Ward, but the thread is asking IF YOU were Calzaghe, not if Calzaghe was Calzaghe.

Apologies for repeating myself!
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #233
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
I'm not a Ward Hater or obsessed with Calzaghe.

They might take it to several extremes at times, but overall they do have their points.

For instance, all their ROY Jones Jr exposing led others to research on Roy.

Do you at least admit there is a possibility Roy 'avoided' maybe just ONE of the following big punchers?

Benn
Eubank
Jackson
McClellan
Nunn

? I'm not saying he avoided all of them, but surely he must have been tentative to fight at least 1-2 of them.
A good case can be made that he avoided the highlighted fighters

Eubank? Hell no

Benn?
It all depends on what story you chose to believe:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by general zod; 10-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #234
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Elite
Mayweather, Jones, McCallum
World Class
Dawson, Tarver, R.Johnson
Championship level
Woods, Glen Johnson
Contender
Rahman
Fringe contender
Allan Green, Gonzalez, Malinga

Quote:
Michael Watson,
Watson was solid, but I would place him at championship level. About the same as lhw Glen Johnson
Quote:
Thulani Malinga,
Who did he beat worth mentioning?
He was around fringe contender level. Benn had no business getting outboxed by him
Quote:
Nigel Benn,
Championship level to World class level depending on your criteria. He did beat McClellan but at the same time he was outboxed by Malinga. Malinga should have TWO wins over him.
Quote:
Lindell Holmes
Holmes was at the end of his career. He went something like 1-3 in his last 4 fights. I can't see how that can be classed as a win worth mentioning
Quote:
, Graciano Rocchigianni, Steve Collins, Joe Calzaghe
I would place these guys around championship level.
Graciano and Collins were tough, but limited fighters. Calzaghe was a green contender when Eubank fought him and struggled with guys like Reid in his prime.

Quote:
and Carl Thompson.
What made him world class?

Last edited by general zod; 10-12-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #235
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
But those guys I mentioned were world class, and you said Eubank avoided all world class fighters, all top guys. That was a lie.
The guys you mentioned are overall nowhere near as good as the guys I listed, which included ATG's and Hofers.
Quote:
but added Graham who's only big name vitory was over Lindell Holmes before Holmes reached the World level and
Graham was a top fighter back in that day and gave McCallum one of his toughest fights at mw. He really deserves to have a win over Kalambay. The Ayub Kalale win is a solid win.

Quote:
Littles who's only note-worthy win was a one-off against Liles (who he'd never beat in the amatuers and who would beat him in the pros in the rematch) makes some of your list kind of suspect.
Littles was a decorated amateur, with a win over Jones.

Edit: I will give you Benn, but that is really about it.

Last edited by general zod; 10-12-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #236
like a boss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

80% say no and the surprise is what?
like a boss is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #237
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

reid ws actually pretty good. not great or HOF but he was very capable. Had he the right mental approach he could have unified and kept the title at least for a few defences. Consider that he arguably won the title three times (versus Zaghes, easily versus Ottke and the title he later held). I'd say that he had the talent to maringally eclipse Eubank, Calzaghe and Ottke, if only he'd had the mind to stick it out. Kessler would have been his stopping point and the likely end of his projected SMW reign - I dont think Reid had it to go on long after that in the way Ottke and Calzaghe did.

I'd put him ahead of Calzaghe on raw ability, he just didnt follow through, like James Toney (though Toney has more raw skill than Robin).

I wonder if thats why Bailey keeps repeating that Reid was 'a great win for Zaghes' - it was in reality an appallingly close escape in which he was frequently outgunned. But that Zaghes managed to match a damned good fighter that night is perhaps what Bailey means (in Baileyspeak lol) when he says it was a great win. Reid was good, no doubt about it.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #238
Bulletproof
Contender
ESB Senior Member

IDK, if I were Joe and my coke supplier started upping his rates, then I might consider a comeback. I'm sure Joe is probably buying a couple of keys at a time so that could get a little expensive over time. The ass whupping he will surely get is secondary to the 10 million that he's asking for. Good coke ain't cheap!!!!!!
Bulletproof is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #239
AxlRose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cmon now, the Calzaghe that beat Hopkins will beat the living daylights out of Ward.
AxlRose is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #240
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
reid ws actually pretty good. not great or HOF but he was very capable. Had he the right mental approach he could have unified and kept the title at least for a few defences. Consider that he arguably won the title three times (versus Zaghes, easily versus Ottke and the title he later held). I'd say that he had the talent to maringally eclipse Eubank, Calzaghe and Ottke, if only he'd had the mind to stick it out. Kessler would have been his stopping point and the likely end of his projected SMW reign - I dont think Reid had it to go on long after that in the way Ottke and Calzaghe did.
He had potential, but that could be said about a number of fighters. His loss to 40 year old Malinga was a complete disaster
Quote:
I'd put him ahead of Calzaghe on raw ability, he just didnt follow through, like James Toney (though Toney has more raw skill than Robin).
I can agree with that
Quote:
I wonder if thats why Bailey keeps repeating that Reid was 'a great win for Zaghes' - it was in reality an appallingly close escape in which he was frequently outgunned. But that Zaghes managed to match a damned good fighter that night is perhaps what Bailey means (in Baileyspeak lol) when he says it was a great win. Reid was good, no doubt about it.
Reid's loss to Calzaghe is sandwiched between two losses to journeyman, hence making the win not much better than journeyman level.

Bailey also thinks a win over Mger madjwde9sdn is a good win

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum