emallini is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Davey Moore vs Vernon Forest at 154

I say Vernon Forrest wins by late knockout. He was more proven than Davey Moore.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Moore by late stoppage.

Mayorga TWICE proved to be too strong for Forrest. Moore was stronger than Mayorga, and far more technically sound and talented as well.

He would have been too strong for Vernon, and eventually he would have caught Forrest and put him out.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Davey Moore would flatten Vernon Forrest by round five, too strong and too powerfull.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Moore throws the kinda' wide hooks that Forrest had trouble with.

He would not let Forrest build his jab and rhythm he'd be throwing with both hands and bring his right into play and had the chin to fight his way into it. Forrest's work would get erratic and he'd get knocked out, and I've always been a big fan of The Viper.

Moore's level of opposition was insane. He was well prepared for an over-the-hill Duran. A focused Duran and a thumb in the eye meant he wasn't.

I'd take Moore over Forrest, Mayorga and probably Mosley too. His defence was pretty much non-existent so I'd probably give Mosley an okay chance of being the more athletic straight up gunslinger, but I also think Moore hit hard enough to get Shanes respect. I'd take De La Hoya over 12, just but if he gasses and Moore can pile it on as he did to the spent weight drained Kalule that turned up then it could be interesting. But I'd take Oscar to outbox Moore and land damaging left hooks of his own to win a healthy decision over 12.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Man, Vernon is one of the best fighters I've ever worked out with(BEAST in the gym) and I'm a huge believer in his ability, but I think Davey Moore brings EXACTLY what gave Vernon a hard time...

I'd pick Moore, gun to my head, and apologies sent to the ether for Vernon, who was a better and greater fighter.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I wouldn't say Mosley was as athletic as Moore at 154 flea

Moore was very quick and fluid with his punches here, where Mosley was mostly a one punch at a time plodder, Moore could fire off double hooks and Leonard-esque right hands with ease.Even though Moore wasn't so quick on his feet or in terms of defensive reflexes, i'm not really sure he's at a disadvantage at 154 there either, Mosley was a 2nd tier fighter in nearly every respect physically as a junior middle.Both were the kind of fighters that could slip shots if they focused on it, but lacked a high level of integration between defence and offene.
lora is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I wouldn't say Mosley was as athletic as Moore at 154 flea

Moore was very quick and fluid with his punches here, where Mosley was mostly a one punch at a time plodder, Moore could fire off double hooks and Leonard-esque right hands with ease.Even though Moore wasn't so quick on his feet or in terms of defensive reflexes, i'm not really sure he's at a disadvantage at 154 there either, Mosley was a 2nd tier fighter in nearly every respect physically as a junior middle.Both were the kind of fighters that could slip shots if they focused on it, but lacked a high level of integration between defence and offene.
I'm taking Moore, but I'm pitting him against the best welterweight version of Shane weighing in on the same day. But yeah, I was giving Shane a small chance, I still think he was quicker of hand, essentially I was saying he'd fare the better out of those three stylistically. Would you agree?

What about Trinidad? A Reid-esque fight? If so, could Moore do better? I'll take Trinidad but I'm all ears.

Could only do one or the other, I agree with that too.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Man, Vernon is one of the best fighters I've ever worked out with(BEAST in the gym) and I'm a huge believer in his ability, but I think Davey Moore brings EXACTLY what gave Vernon a hard time...

I'd pick Moore, gun to my head, and apologies sent to the ether for Vernon, who was a better and greater fighter.
This.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlack View Post
Davey Moore would flatten Vernon Forrest by round five, too strong and too powerfull.
11 fights? people disregard his 11 fights. He should have had more fights before becoming champion. That was a recipe for losing. He just didn't have enough pro. fight experience.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

And? He beat three top ten guys with varying styles. Beat Nsbuga (was he top ten too? Sure Duran had not long beaten him at welter) quicker than Duran did. How much better was he going to get?

Duran was not seen as the killer that showed up that night. If Moore had moved up to middle to face Hagler, I'd be screaming lunacy. But he'd taken risks against good fighters and passed them all with flying colours, showing a lack of defence but a good chin and a very solid offence.

It's like saying David Reid was rushed into a fight with Tito when he'd gone got for tat with Boudouani. If Moore was looking hideous I'd understand. But how was he being rushed when he was succeeding?!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
And? He beat three top ten guys with varying styles. Beat Nsbuga (was he top ten too? Sure Duran had not long beaten him at welter) quicker than Duran did. How much better was he going to get?

Duran was not seen as the killer that showed up that night. If Moore had moved up to middle to face Hagler, I'd be screaming lunacy. But he'd taken risks against good fighters and passed them all with flying colours, showing a lack of defence but a good chin and a very solid offence.

It's like saying David Reid was rushed into a fight with Tito when he'd gone got for tat with Boudouani. If Moore was looking hideous I'd understand. But how was he being rushed when he was succeeding?!
a fighter can succeed and still be rushed. 11 fights is not good enough for a guy of Duran's level. They were underestimating Duran, which is the worst way to go in against Duran or any top fighter. I remember when Hearns fought Duran, Hearns and Emanual knew Duran had hard punches and they went in there with the thought to land hard punches and knock him out before he could get anything landed. No one ever went in there to knock out Duran. I mention Duran because of the obvious connection Davey Moore has to him.

And about success. Even success doesn't mean a fighter is not rushed. Jermain Taylor. good fighter, but rushed a little. Beat Hopkins, but had he had 10 more fights he would have learned how to have fight plans and maybe use his great speed defensively so he wouldn't have had all the grueling fights packed in just a few fights. I remember thinking that Jermaine was going to burn out because he is not experienced enough to make the fights easier, and they wear out. The Pavlik fight was inevitable. Then you look at a guy like Chavez. Many people got upset when Haugen said he fought Tijuana Taxi drivers, but those "taxi drivers" gave him some rest from the grueling fights and activity and experience to he could work on his defense. Fights mean a lot. Had Ronald Hearns had 10 more fights he might have been better, since he lacked the amatuer experience. 10 more fights at that starting level means everything.

Fernando Vargas another guy who was successful but would have done so much better with 10 more fights. Then you look at a guy like Hagler. Had he won the middleweight title in the late 1970s when he could have probably, he would have lost it to someone like Vito or Monroe. Just having those extra fights helped him hold onto it. And then Moore had 11 fights.. Look at all the guys like Hearns/Leonard. They won their first titles at I think Ray had 24 and Hearns 28-0. I am talking too much now. I just meant 10 fights means a lot.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I'm taking Moore, but I'm pitting him against the best welterweight version of Shane weighing in on the same day. But yeah, I was giving Shane a small chance, I still think he was quicker of hand, essentially I was saying he'd fare the better out of those three stylistically. Would you agree?

What about Trinidad? A Reid-esque fight? If so, could Moore do better? I'll take Trinidad but I'm all ears.

Could only do one or the other, I agree with that too.
Tito? I sway back and forth on that one.I've probably argued Moore's case for it being very close in older threads, but i'm not sure who i'd go for gun to head.Moore had a fair bit more offensive ability and power than Reid or Vargas so it's less likely to be the same sort of "competitive for 6 or so rounds with shakey moments then tito grinds em down" outcome.

More likely to be brutal and filled with give-take till near the end, which could come at any time past the early rounds.

As far Mosley goes i hear you, though ive just never saw what folk see in the post-Forrest Mosley.He became almost as worn looking as post-Honeyghan Curry offering up few strong showings other than the margarito fight.Guess the sun shines on an old dog's arse once in a while.

I just think how Mosley was cowed by hard right hands and a butt or two against Forrest and can't see him having the will to win against most of the better talented offensive fighters above Welter.He'd be inconsistent at 147 enough as it is, without having to take chopping right hands from the likes of Moore, McCallum etc
lora is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I agree Forrest took his soul.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=Flea Man;13969946]I'm taking Moore, but I'm pitting him against the best welterweight version of Shane weighing in on the same day. But yeah, I was giving Shane a small chance, I still think he was quicker of hand, essentially I was saying he'd fare the better out of those three stylistically. Would you agree?

Could only do one or the other, I agree with that too.[/quote/

I agree..Im takin Moore but Mosley in his prime at 147..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum