Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default UFC champ Anderson Silva says 'no way' to superfight with Jon Jones

Quote:
Anderson Silva might be willing to move up in weight to fight Stephan Bonnar, but he won't fight light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

"There are many possibilities, but fighting Jon Jones is one of them that I don't think is possible," Silva said today during a press conference in support of UFC 153. "There's no way."

The middleweight champ's proclamation was the latest of several objections to the superfight, which has drawn heated interest from fans since Silva's record-setting 10th consecutive title defense earlier this year.

A meeting between Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC) and Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) would be one of the sport's most marketable matchups, with both champs on extended runs of dominance. Both, however, have demurred on the idea of fighting each other.

On a recent media call for Saturday's event, which takes place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Silva acknowledged the clamor of interest in a bout with Jones. Not just from fans, but his boss, UFC President Dana White.

But while a trip up to light heavyweight to headline Stephan Bonnar was possible due to the lack of weight-cutting time available, an extended stay would be "pretentious."

"There's other guys in that weight class on our team like Rafael (Cavalcante), (Antonio Rogerio) Nogueira ... (and) other guys that could potentially face Jones in the future.

"I'm 37 years old, and I feel like I need to be honest and continue what I've built, which is keep defending my belt at 185."

White has all but scoffed at Silva's previous assertions and said the champ changed his tune about meeting welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC).

"Anderson and Jones are saying, 'hey, we're buddies,' or 'we don't want to fight' or whatever the deal is," White said in September. "But [Jones] didn't want to fight Rashad either, and that happened."

During an open workout for UFC 153, Silva even said that St-Pierre was one of his main focuses in advance of his meeting with Bonnar, which serves as Saturday's headliner.

But Jones, who is currently recovering from an elbow injury sustained at UFC 152, is out of the picture.

For more on UFC 153 and other upcoming events, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550
Default Re: UFC champ Anderson Silva says 'no way' to superfight with Jon Jones

Scurrd.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

That sucks, would be a great fight and a huge draw.
It's a winnable fight for Anderson as well
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

WOW !!!!!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

Never thought he'd flat out duck anyone. But he's still my favorite. The landscape changes quite often so there's still hope. Bones is looking more human these days and if Dana can guarantee both guys a flattering purse...who knows how they'll react down the line.

Also, if Jones fights at HW and beats a few softies, would he eventually challenge for the title? My money says he won't and people will say the same thing they are saying about Silva right now.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

ufc fighters never duck.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
Scurrd.
This. Never would i have thought id see the day when a former ChuteBoxe fighter ducks an opponent. Silva is clearly comfortable defending his title. Iv got no interest in watching his bout with Bonnar. Thats a waste of everyones time. The best fight that can be made right now is Silva GSP or Silva Jones. Silva clearly has a lot of respect for Jones talent and doesn't fancy his chances.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
This. Never would i have thought id see the day when a former ChuteBoxe fighter ducks an opponent. Silva is clearly comfortable defending his title. Iv got no interest in watching his bout with Bonnar. Thats a waste of everyones time. The best fight that can be made right now is Silva GSP or Silva Jones. Silva clearly has a lot of respect for Jones talent and doesn't fancy his chances.
No shit sherlock
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
SomeGuy101
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
And he's pretty enthusiastic about fighting GSP I need to add; what a cunt.
SomeGuy101 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

," White said in September. "But [Jones] didn't want to fight Rashad either, and that happened."

since when do ufc fighters have a choice?
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Well i kinda see where he is coming from he wants to ride out his career as a MW champ and undefeated in the UFC
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1300

Dana is hoping Bonnar defeats Silva so that he can push a fight between Silva and Jones. With a loss I believe Silva will take the fight. The only reason hes scared of Jones is because he thinks there's a real chance that he will lose his Zero.

Would not surprise me is Dana has offered Bonnar mad cash if he wins.

*tin foil hat theory* who knows ?
globeman is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
"I'm 37 years old, and I feel like I need to be honest and continue what I've built, which is keep defending my belt at 185."

I don't know why everyone holds it against the MW champ for not making a title run at 205...... Anderson Silva a stud, and is only being true to himself.

**** everyone else and those in this thread.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
Dana is hoping Bonnar defeats Silva so that he can push a fight between Silva and Jones. With a loss I believe Silva will take the fight. The only reason hes scared of Jones is because he thinks there's a real chance that he will lose his Zero.

Would not surprise me is Dana has offered Bonnar mad cash if he wins.

*tin foil hat theory* who knows ?
Silva has no 0. Thats just a marketing gimmick the UFC have latched onto to sell him further.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post

I don't know why everyone holds it against the MW champ for not making a title run at 205...... Anderson Silva a stud, and is only being true to himself.

**** everyone else and those in this thread.
Exactly.

The guy is 37 years old, and Jones is an enormous monster. Anderson's 205 fights are an interesting bonus to his career and that is all. He's the long-time MW champion and nobody can fault him for not wanting to move up and face a dominant champion who is twice his size and more than a decade younger. Especially not when Anderson is pushing 40, with a style that relies heavily on pinpoint striking and quick reflexes. And also, his biggest stylistic weakness plays right into Jones' biggest strength.

I don't see it as a particularly competitive fight anyway. I mean, Chael took Silva down immediately and sat on him for a full 5 minutes in Anderson's last fight. If Chael can immediately take him down in 6 out of 7 rounds they fought, Jones can do it. Anderson had massive trouble with Chael achieving top control. Would he find it easier if the bigger, stronger and more dangerous Jones was on top of him throwing down elbows?

That fight just seems like a beatdown to me, and it's not a challenge that Silva should be realistically expected to meet.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum