Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
BattlingIyan

vCash: 500
Default How would you fight someone who has a significant height/reach advantage?

After watching a lot of Rocky Marciano (an old boxing legend, undefeated, stood 5'10" and a goddamn 67" wingspan my gawd), I became curious of how short people would strategize against much taller/longer-armed people. Let's say someone's opponent is half a foot taller and has 10" longer reach (like what Marciano had to deal with).

In boxing, shorter people tend to adjust their style to be skilled at working on the inside, keeping constant pressure, and lots of head movement. In MMA, I just can't imagine it. On outside range, the taller guy has an advantage with straights and kicks. On the inside, they'll just clinch/thai clinch you which they also have an advantage. The only possibility I see is takedowns but then most likely the taller person is fighting off the back foot and will be all ready for it.

So? Strategize a scenario.
BattlingIyan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How would you fight someone who has a significant height/reach advantage?

Im a short and stocky build and i compete at 84 Kilo's, therefore my whole time i seem to contest the longer taller frame

I like to faint, roll and throw with short shots, i never really jab with a longer guy, once you have your opponent guessing its a good time to shoot off a strike or a feint

A simple combination i have worked extensively for MMA is just a sharp jab followed by a left hook to the body, specifically for longer fighters i find this works this great, the movement has to be dynamic, but to summarise i just find it best to be active and use speed / dynamic movement, if you sit out there with no movement your getting your head jabbed off or legs kicked off
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you fight someone who has a significant height/reach advantage?

throw in alot of those ultra low takedowns. they expect the mid range double legs etc but not so much ankle picks and the like. (see kimo vs tank or randy vs toney for an example)
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0[/ame]
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

I wonder what Tyson did to win his fights
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
I wonder what Tyson did to win his fights
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZzMPsm6c4[/ame]
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattlingIyan View Post
After watching a lot of Rocky Marciano (an old boxing legend, undefeated, stood 5'10" and a goddamn 67" wingspan my gawd), I became curious of how short people would strategize against much taller/longer-armed people. Let's say someone's opponent is half a foot taller and has 10" longer reach (like what Marciano had to deal with).

In boxing, shorter people tend to adjust their style to be skilled at working on the inside, keeping constant pressure, and lots of head movement. In MMA, I just can't imagine it. On outside range, the taller guy has an advantage with straights and kicks. On the inside, they'll just clinch/thai clinch you which they also have an advantage. The only possibility I see is takedowns but then most likely the taller person is fighting off the back foot and will be all ready for it.

So? Strategize a scenario.
There are plenty of examples of small guys successfully competing with and beating taller opponents with bigger reaches, both in the ring and the octagon. Best approach is to watch the videos of those matchups and see for yourself how they went about it.

Like all things in combat though, nothing is guaranteed to work all the time.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum