Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Foremans win over moorer

Great win for Foreman, but let's face it guys: He was lucky. He knew he was the underdog and landed that one shot that earned him the belt.

After winning he needed a robbery against journeyman level Eurobum Axel Schulz in a scandalous SD decision win. Foreman ducked the rematch after the IBF made Schulz the mandatory challenger, dropped the IBF belt and fought Savarese and Briggs for some joke belt.

Let's go through comeback Foreman's performance:

1. Loses to Holyfield
2. Loses to Morrison
3. After being outboxed by former LHW Michael Moorer, Foreman lands a lucky shot in the 10th and KO's Moorer.
4. A badly faded Foreman needs a SD robbery against Eurobum Axel Schulz. Most observers had this at least 116-114 for Schulz.
5. The IBF installs Schulz as mandatory challenger after the scandalous fight. Foreman drops his IBF belt and fights some bum for the WBU belt.
6. Foreman loses a SD to Shannon Briggs.

This is supposed to be the greatest comeback in sports? Seriously, this is a string of losses against good and robberies against mediocre opposition -- and one lucky punch.

Comeback Foreman had about as much substance as prime Rahman. The entire episode boils down to a single lucky punch.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Great win for Foreman, but let's face it guys: He was lucky. He knew he was the underdog and landed that one shot that earned him the belt.

After winning he needed a robbery against journeyman level Eurobum Axel Schulz in a scandalous SD decision win. Foreman ducked the rematch after the IBF made Schulz the mandatory challenger, dropped the IBF belt and fought Briggs for some joke belt.

Let's go through comeback Foreman's performance:

1. Loses to Holyfield
2. Loses to Morrison
3. After being outboxed by former LHW Michael Moorer, Foreman lands a lucky shot in the 10th and KO's Moorer.
4. A badly faded Foreman needs a SD robbery against Eurobum Axel Schulz. Most observers had this 116-114 for Schulz.
5. The IBF installs Schulz as mandatory challenger after the scandalous fight. Foreman drops his IBF belt and fights some bum for the WBU belt.
6. Foreman loses a SD to Shannon Briggs.

This is supposed to be the greatest comeback in sports? Seriously, this is a string of losses against good and robberies against mediocre opposition -- and one lucky punch.

Comeback Foreman had about as much substance as prime Rahman. The entire episode boils down to a single punch.
oh my god...

first off the sd to schulz was a robbery how could a judge give it to axel? foreman won by 2 rounds imo. all schulz did was hit and run against an old man.

he fought briggs for the lineal championship and was ROBBED.

you forgot the part where schulz lost 3 fights in a row and after each one the ibf got him another shot, schulz was just the ibfs thing after his promotor paid them off.
luke is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
oh my god...

first off the sd to schulz was a robbery how could a judge give it to axel? foreman won by 2 rounds imo. all schulz did was hit and run against an old man.

he fought briggs for the lineal championship and was ROBBED.

you forgot the part where schulz lost 3 fights in a row and after each one the ibf got him another shot, schulz was just the ibfs thing after his promotor paid them off.
Schulz was a ****ing bum who never should have gotten a title shot. And comeback Foreman still went life and death with him. Sorry it's just the truth.

Foreman - Briggs wasn't even a sanctioned title fight and I could care less for the 'lineal title' non-sense. Foreman ducked Schulz for the rematch even after the IBF mandated he was to face Schulz a second time around. Comeback Foreman didn't have the balls to face the Eurobum again and that's when he lost any rights to any title, IBF or lineal
madballster is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Skins
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Granted, Moorer wasn't much of a champion, but still, a 45-year old man taking him out with one punch like that was an amazing feat. To me, that moved Big George way up on the ATG list. Remember watching it and thinking it was not much of a punch at first, and then they showed the overhead view where you could see George just stepping right thru the punch to Moorer's chin and you could tell what a devastating punch is really was. Awesome KO!
Skins is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Schulz was a ****ing bum who never should have gotten a title shot. And comeback Foreman still went life and death with him. Sorry it's just the truth.

Foreman - Briggs wasn't even a sanctioned title fight and I could care less for the 'lineal title' non-sense. Foreman ducked Schulz for the rematch even after the IBF mandated he was to face Schulz a second time around. Comeback Foreman didn't have the balls to face the Eurobum again and that's when he lost any rights to any title, IBF or lineal
there is no balls in a 45 yo man making a 25 yo guy hit and run for his life? talking to me about foremans balls is silly he has 11 kids he has bigger balls than you.

it was iba or ibc sanctioned. biatch

your a racist who has some kind of evil fixation with big george and everyone here can see it
luke is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Putting the win in perspective, when Foreman made his return after 10 years out, did anyone seriously believe he would be heavyweight champ 7 years later?
Momus is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post

One of a kind power, one of a kind champ, shame he retired early, Foreman would and already should be the GOAT HW.
Yep.

He also would have beaten Ali, if that crooked ref hadn't given him a fast count. (8.5 seconds from the moment he hit the canvas, and he was still up & ready to fight.) It amazes me to this day that Foreman never complained about that.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Yep.

He also would have beaten Ali, if that crooked ref hadn't given him a fast count. (8.5 seconds from the moment he hit the canvas, and he was still up & ready to fight.) It amazes me to this day that Foreman never complained about that.
to be fair, a 10 count isnt always 10 seconds. foreman wasnt in any shape to continue.
luke is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Look at it all the way through.

Retires in his prime, claims to of had a near death experiance and to have found god as a result. People think he's gone bat shit crazy. He transforms from the grouchy George with the personality of a chop stick, to Big George, one of America's most loved men.

Funds youth centre out of his own pocket, contributes to worthwhile causes and preeches the bible to others. Years go by, his prime is long gone, George puts on vast amounts of weight.

Problem : Foreman is running out of money, he needs to do something. He decides to return to Boxing. As mentioned, he's very over weight. He starts working out and is dismissed as some sort of freak show.

He hires Angelo Dundee, and starts small. Working the weight off and regaining fitness, the media becomes curious. Foreman ammases a large amount of fans, his warm personality makes him a media darling and leads to the Foreman grill, he's also an inspiration to those in mid life.

Foreman knocks out Cooney on a PPV which does solid numbers, thus confirming his popularity and setting the stage for a World title shot against Holyfield. George loses by a wide UD in an entertaining fight.

Most people would of stopped there, 'I came back, gave it my best and fell at the last. I can be proud.' Not George Foreman. He goes back to fighting lesser guys and builds up his ranking, until Michael Moorer, the undefeated HW champion of the world and former LHW king picks Foreman as a way to make some money. George's chances are dismissed before the fight, he's 46 years old, nobody has ever done it before, let alone against such a young and seemingly skilled opponent.

It's 20 years since Zaire where George lost his title to Ali. He wears the same trunks he did that night, this is his chance to erase all those ghosts.
The fight starts and Moorer dominates, George can't land his shots. Moorer is so far ahead on the score cards, he can just cruise the last three rounds and win on points, George's dream is over, again he's fallen at the last hurdle. The audiance watches, not suprised by how the fight has gone, exactly as everyone thought it would then in the tenth round, CRACK, down goes Moorer, one shot ends the fight for Foreman, one shot gives him back what he lost 20 years ago! The place goes nuts, and where is George? Knelt in prayer in his corner, not forgetting his true purpose in returning.

That is the greatest comeback in Boxing history.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Yep.

He was mentally beat, he took his L like a man, shame he retired a little after the fight, he would've killed Ali in the rematch
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post

Retires in his prime, claims to of had a near death experiance and to have found god as a result. People think he's gone bat shit crazy. He transforms from the grouchy George with the personality of a chop stick, to Big George, one of America's most loved men.

Funds youth centre out of his own pocket, contributes to worthwhile causes and preeches the bible to others. Years go by, his prime is long gone, George puts on vast amounts of weight.

Problem : Foreman is running out of money, he needs to do something. He decides to return to Boxing. As mentioned, he's very over weight. He starts working out and is dismissed as some sort of freak show.

He hires Angelo Dundee, and starts small. Working the weight off and regaining fitness, the media becomes curious. Foreman ammases a large amount of fans, his warm personality makes him a media darling and leads to the Foreman grill, he's also an inspiration to those in mid life.

Foreman knocks out Cooney on a PPV which does solid numbers, thus confirming his popularity and setting the stage for a World title shot against Holyfield. George loses by a wide UD in an entertaining fight.

Most people would of stopped there, 'I came back, gave it my best and fell at the last. I can be proud.' Not George Foreman. He goes back to fighting lesser guys and builds up his ranking, until Michael Moorer, the undefeated HW champion of the world and former LHW king picks Foreman as a way to make some money. George's chances are dismissed before the fight, he's 46 years old, nobody has ever done it before, let alone against such a young and seemingly skilled opponent.

It's 20 years since Zaire where George lost his title to Ali. He wears the same trunks he did that night, this is his chance to erase all those ghosts.
The fight starts and Moorer dominates, George can't land his shots. Moorer is so far ahead on the score cards, he can just cruise the last three rounds and win on points, George's dream is over, again he's fallen at the last hurdle. The audiance watches, not suprised by how the fight has gone, exactly as everyone thought it would then in the tenth round, CRACK, down goes Moorer, one shot ends the fight for Foreman, one shot gives him back what he lost 20 years ago! The place goes nuts, and where is George? Knelt in prayer in his corner, not forgetting his true purpose in returning.

sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

luke is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

As much as I love the win, (and it was a huge one) this whole mythology that Foreman was getting his ass kicked every round and then landed one shot drives me up the ****ing wall.

Let me ask you something: do you people actually watch fights? Or just listen to what other people and commentators say about fights and fighters? Just like most of general forum seems to believe that Hagler was a face first brawler (for most of his career he was a versatile boxer-puncher with good movement) or that JCC Sr was a take 3 to land 1 guy (out of all offensive fighters in history, he was one of the best when it came to defense and making his opponent miss) this ridiculous belief that Foreman was a human punching bag who only landed 1 big punch is a complete fabrication.

Fact is, while Moorer was dominating on the cards, a fair number of rounds were competitive, Foreman landed big shots in nearly every round, and he beat the piss out of Moorer all throughout the last round. I mean, he knocked Moorer from one side of the ring to the other before Moorer finally fell.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRAvcuy4g-0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SONoA5L1g[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-WR3qcWp4[/ame]

Don't know what good it'll do posting footage since some of you won't notice a punch landing if an announcer doesn't say something about it, but seriously, watch the ****ing fights before you comment on them!

Last edited by The Wanderer; 10-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #29
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
As much as I love the win, (and it was a huge one) this whole mythology that Foreman was getting his ass kicked every round and then landed one shot drives me up the ****ing wall.

Let me ask you something: do you people actually watch fights? Or just to what other people and commentators say about fights and fighters? Just like most of you seem to believe that Hagler was a face first brawler (for most of his career he was a versatile boxer-puncher with good movement) or that JCC Sr was a take 3 to land 1 guy (out of all offensive fighters in history, he was one of the best when it came to defense and making his opponent miss) this ridiculous belief that Foreman was a human punching bag who only landed 1 big punch is a complete fabrication.

Fact is, while Moorer was dominating on the cards, a fair number of rounds were competitive, Foreman landed big shots in nearly every round, and he beat the piss out of Moorer all throughout the last round. I mean, he knocked Moorer from one side of the ring to the other before Moorer finally fell.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Don't know what good it'll do posting footage since some of you won't notice a punch landing if an announcer doesn't say something about it, but seriously, watch the ****ing fights before you comment on them!
If that's directed at me
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If that's directed at me
there is not one member on this forum who could of took the punches george took from moorer that night
luke is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum