Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Tyrell Biggs been a good pro?

He could have been better than he was but it always a challenge when you can not hit at heavyweight and Tyrell did not have real heavyweight power
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

for a time the only superheavyweight gold medelist to not win a world title
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #18
jehu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

biggs a good pro, He had a real polished style when he wanted to, just didnt seem to go his way..
jehu is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Nope!!!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a good pro.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He layed off the 'white powder' and got rid of his 'bad management team', he could
have been a very good pro.

He should have moved to Japan, when he was offered that deal, and picked up
a good '15' wins, before moving to the Heavyweight Championship.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELWOLVES View Post
One of the most boring fighters I ever saw. Worked better than No-Doz to put me to sleep.

Did have a pretty exciting fight against Quick Tillis, however. That was a decent action fight.
No-Doz is stimulant pills... Like caffeine pills. Those put you to sleep?
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I have yet to be convinced this substance is anything but a performance enhancer.
I agree, if you just do it occasionally. If you have an actual "problem" with it and you're doing it every day all the time, it has a degenerative effect. Your body goes to shit.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As things stood he wasn't all THAT bad. He won a gold medal. Beat Snipes, Tillis, Simms, Bey and Challenged for the world title against a dominant Tyson all in his first 16 fights. From there things went drastically down hill. But the man DID have a career. A cleaner lifestyle coupled with more discipline and a steady management team might have kept him in the top 10 longer - perhaps even made him a repeat contender. I highly doubt that he was ever champion material, but he wasn't a bum by any means. Parting ways with the Duva family following the Tyson loss, hurt him in my eyes. When I saw him fight Ossie Ocasio in 1990, Jimmy Young was in his corner and I don't know who was managing him from a business standpoint. The one thing I did notice was that he was still making a lot of amateurish mistakes that were never corrected despite being a pro now for some 5 years. Incidentally, Ocasio was standing in for Carl "the truth" Williams who pulled out at the last minute due to an injury sustained in training, or so it was claimed. I have my doubts about Biggs beating Williams at that time. Truth was a more polished professional and Biggs didn't have the tools to seriously trouble him, which for the most part was a deadly left hook..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he was a good pro
just not great

and i saw his olympic fight with Damiani

he didnt win it
was given a gift
highguard is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I have yet to be convinced this substance is anything but a performance enhancer.
Problem with Cocaine is that after every bad night of snorting, you have a terrible crash the next day, which tends to get in the way of training. It also raises your heart rate to dangerous levels, and that's without the added effects of strenuous physical activity. Those are just a few of the effects. Cocaine is not a bad thing to be on in a street fight that lasts all but 60 seconds. But its not the type of thing you want to be training for prize fights with.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Problem with Cocaine is that after every bad night of snorting, you have a terrible crash the next day, which tends to get in the way of training. It also raises your heart rate to dangerous levels, and that's without the added effects of strenuous physical activity. Those are just a few of the effects. Cocaine is not a bad thing to be on in a street fight that lasts all but 60 seconds. But its not the type of thing you want to be training for prize fights with.
It was a joke.

I'm no saint but the stuff is shit and shit for you. I have seen some guys do a lot for a time, move on and be alright. I have seen others just lose focus on life and lose everything... and never even seem to acknowledge what caused it all. This is not to even mention the adverse health effects.

Again, I'm no saint. Perhaps the stuff is fine every now and then, at a certain age. But more so than not, it brings a lot of grief.

Case Studies: Biggs, McCall, Dokes...
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #28
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It was a joke.

I'm no saint but the stuff is shit and shit for you. I have seen some guys do a lot for a time, move on and be alright. I have seen others just lose focus on life and lose everything... and never even seem to acknowledge what caused it all. This is not to even mention the adverse health effects.

Again, I'm no saint. Perhaps the stuff is fine every now and then, at a certain age. But more so than not, it brings a lot of grief.

Case Studies: Biggs, McCall, Dokes...
I've had similar experiences, not being a saint myself.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yep.

He was a tightrope act for sure but there was a window of opportunity when he turned pro in that division. All you really had was Tyson and it took a few years for Ruddock to show up on the radar screen. Everyone else was either established or old.

But that window would've closed with the 1988 crop and Tyrell is just not going to hold up against those guys. I wanted to see him and Mercer go at it, but Mason took care of that. But he'd land on Mercer--who didn't? But the second half of the fight would have been rough.

Carl Williams and Bruno were 2 others from the timeframe but there really was a shortage of top 10 matches during that Tyson run. It seems like everyone was holding out for the big Tyson payday from 87 or so to Buster & just sat on the sidelines. That window was as good as it was going to get for Tyrell.
zadfrak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum