Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default Re: Foremans win over moorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
As much as I love the win, (and it was a huge one) this whole mythology that Foreman was getting his ass kicked every round and then landed one shot drives me up the ****ing wall.

Let me ask you something: do you people actually watch fights? Or just to what other people and commentators say about fights and fighters? Just like most of you seem to believe that Hagler was a face first brawler (for most of his career he was a versatile boxer-puncher with good movement) or that JCC Sr was a take 3 to land 1 guy (out of all offensive fighters in history, he was one of the best when it came to defense and making his opponent miss) this ridiculous belief that Foreman was a human punching bag who only landed 1 big punch is a complete fabrication.

Fact is, while Moorer was dominating on the cards, a fair number of rounds were competitive, Foreman landed big shots in nearly every round, and he beat the **** out of Moorer all throughout the last round. I mean, he knocked Moorer from one side of the ring to the other before Moorer finally fell.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Don't know what good it'll do posting footage since some of you won't notice a punch landing if an announcer doesn't say something about it, but seriously, watch the ****ing fights before you comment on them!
Yep, you're right. It's one of those myths which has constantly been perpetuated by people who don't watch boxing matches. The Chavez/Taylor fight is another one. If you listened to some people, you'd think Chavez just took punches until the 12th round when he landed a single good shot. Froch/Taylor is another. How many people argue that it was a shut out in favour of Taylor?

Foreman was always in the fight because Moorer wasn't hard to hit. The difference was activity.
Jack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
If that's directed at me
Nope, I have a lot of respect for you and how you look at fighters and styles. Just a general response to things like:

Quote:
Great win for Foreman, but let's face it guys: He was lucky. He knew he was the underdog and landed that one shot that earned him the belt.
Because apparently, none of the other punches Foreman landed all through that fight, or even in that same round meant anything.

The way some people talk about it, you'd think Foreman didn't land a single significant punch until the KO blow.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Blame Legendary Nights.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Nope, I have a lot of respect for you and how you look at fighters and styles. Just a general response to things like:

Because apparently, none of the other punches Foreman landed all through that fight, or even in that same round meant anything.

The way some people talk about it, you'd think Foreman didn't land a single significant punch until the KO blow.
I'll gladly take that mis-conception over the 'Taylor won every round apart from the last one' against JCC Sr.

(And thankyou.)
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

There are big wins in boxing. Clay over Liston being one of them. Duran over Leonard, another.

Then there are titanic triumphs, like Foreman over Moorer, like Leonard over Hagler, and like Ali over Foreman. An incredible night for the underdogs, not just in boxing, but in sporting history it was
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
CharlieA
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad*****ter View Post
Great win for Foreman, but let's face it guys: He was lucky. He knew he was the underdog and landed that one shot that earned him the belt.

After winning he needed a robbery against journeyman level Eurobum Axel Schulz in a scandalous SD decision win. Foreman ducked the rematch after the IBF made Schulz the mandatory challenger, dropped the IBF belt and fought Savarese and Briggs for some joke belt.

Let's go through comeback Foreman's performance:

1. Loses to Holyfield
2. Loses to Morrison
3. After being outboxed by former LHW Michael Moorer, Foreman lands a lucky shot in the 10th and KO's Moorer.
4. A badly faded Foreman needs a SD robbery against Eurobum Axel Schulz. Most observers had this at least 116-114 for Schulz.
5. The IBF installs Schulz as mandatory challenger after the scandalous fight. Foreman drops his IBF belt and fights some bum for the WBU belt.
6. Foreman loses a SD to Shannon Briggs.

This is supposed to be the greatest comeback in sports? Seriously, this is a string of losses against good and robberies against mediocre opposition -- and one lucky punch.

Comeback Foreman had about as much substance as prime Rahman. The entire episode boils down to a single lucky punch.
I am not sure what planet you are from, worst string of weird conclusions I've read.

* 1. Loses to Holyfield

He went life and death at 43 with Ring Magazines 3rd rated heavyweight of all times.

* 2. Loses to Morrison

The loss to Morrison was more like this. One of the toughest heavyweights of his era (Tommy) understood he could not trade with Foreman and put his running shoes on. Tommy morrison has never boxed like this before or after that. You need to realize why Tommy did this.

3. After being outboxed by former LHW Michael Moorer, Foreman lands a lucky shot in the 10th and KO's Moorer.

Foreman because of his size and speed issues at this age, would always have problems with movable opponents. If you look through the fight again, it is quite clear Foreman was working on getting Moorer to move to his right the whole fight. To set him up for the right. It might have failed, but you have to realize why it didn't. He never gave up on his plan.

4. A badly faded Foreman needs a SD robbery against Eurobum Axel Schulz. Most observers had this at least 116-114 for Schulz.

I saw the fight, it was pretty even, Foreman slightly ahead. I guess you have heard the term style makes fights? Well, bad matchup for Foreman. Axel Schulz was a typical german boxer, movable with a good guard and did never get into slugfests.

5. The IBF installs Schulz as mandatory challenger after the scandalous fight. Foreman drops his IBF belt and fights some bum for the WBU belt.

Don't know the reasons for this...

6. Foreman loses a SD to Shannon Briggs.

This was disputable loss the way I see it. And come on, he pushed Briggs to brink at 47??? And you don't give him credit for that? Are you nuts?
Briggs some 10 years later did put up a good effort with Klitchko when he himself was washed up?

I think your ideas are just weird.
CharlieA is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
vargasfan1985
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5133

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
45yo man vs the heavyweight champ, not only that he was inactive for 10 years..
LOL, no he was not inactive. He had been on a long comeback. DERP DERP!
vargasfan1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Second best HW comeback in history imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #39
vargasfan1985
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Look at it all the way through.

Retires in his prime, claims to of had a near death experiance and to have found god as a result. People think he's gone bat **** crazy. He transforms from the grouchy George with the personality of a chop stick, to Big George, one of America's most loved men.

Funds youth centre out of his own pocket, contributes to worthwhile causes and preeches the bible to others. Years go by, his prime is long gone, George puts on vast amounts of weight.

Problem : Foreman is running out of money, he needs to do something. He decides to return to Boxing. As mentioned, he's very over weight. He starts working out and is dismissed as some sort of freak show.

He hires Angelo Dundee, and starts small. Working the weight off and regaining fitness, the media becomes curious. Foreman ammases a large amount of fans, his warm personality makes him a media darling and leads to the Foreman grill, he's also an inspiration to those in mid life.

Foreman knocks out ****ey on a PPV which does solid numbers, thus confirming his popularity and setting the stage for a World title shot against Holyfield. George loses by a wide UD in an entertaining fight.

Most people would of stopped there, 'I came back, gave it my best and fell at the last. I can be proud.' Not George Foreman. He goes back to fighting lesser guys and builds up his ranking, until Michael Moorer, the undefeated HW champion of the world and former LHW king picks Foreman as a way to make some money. George's chances are dismissed before the fight, he's 46 years old, nobody has ever done it before, let alone against such a young and seemingly skilled opponent.

It's 20 years since Zaire where George lost his title to Ali. He wears the same trunks he did that night, this is his chance to erase all those ghosts.
The fight starts and Moorer dominates, George can't land his shots. Moorer is so far ahead on the score cards, he can just cruise the last three rounds and win on points, George's dream is over, again he's fallen at the last hurdle. The audiance watches, not suprised by how the fight has gone, exactly as everyone thought it would then in the tenth round, CRACK, down goes Moorer, one shot ends the fight for Foreman, one shot gives him back what he lost 20 years ago! The place goes nuts, and where is George? Knelt in prayer in his corner, not forgetting his true purpose in returning.

That is the greatest comeback in Boxing history.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #40
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasfan1985 View Post
LOL, no he was not inactive. He had been on a long comeback. DERP DERP!

i never said he was inactive for 10 years prior to the moorer fight, its evident to anyone with a brain that he wasnt

BUT

he was inactive for 10 years, i think you need to brush up on your boxing, boxrec will help you do this, your lucky it was me you said that to, im one of the nicer and better boxing historians.
luke is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #41
vargasfan1985
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
i never said he was inactive for 10 years prior to the moorer fight, its evident to anyone with a brain that he wasnt

BUT

he was inactive for 10 years, i think you need to brush up on your boxing, boxrec will help you do this, your lucky it was me you said that to, im one of the nicer and better boxing historians.
LOLOLOLOLOL

You said he was inactive 10 years before the Moorer fight. If you read that statement through my eyes and other eyes, it would come off like he went into that fight with a 10 year layoff. That's how I read it because that's how it sounded.

The correct thing to say would have been, "it's impressive because he was inactive for 10 years and mounted a comeback later".

Me brush up on boxing? LOL. I called your post out because it seemed like you were the one misinformed. I've known about the whole Moorer-Foreman story since I was in high school. Which was nearly a decade ago.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #42
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasfan1985 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL

You said he was inactive 10 years before the Moorer fight. If you read that statement through my eyes and other eyes, it would come off like he went into that fight with a 10 year layoff. That's how I read it because that's how it sounded.

The correct thing to say would have been, "it's impressive because he was inactive for 10 years and mounted a comeback later".

Me brush up on boxing? LOL. I called your post out because it seemed like you were the one misinformed. I've known about the whole Moorer-Foreman story since I was in high school. Which was nearly a decade ago.

if you know the foreman moorer story how come you would jump to such a ridiculous point in thinking that foreman was 10 years inactive then got a title shot, its plain to see what i wrote and what you have, im not going off at you some people know boxing less than others and make mistakes, thats why if you brush up on your facts you wont make the same mistake, its either that or you are not a native speaker of english and are getting confused by the way i wrote that. dont use a google translator they always change words/grammar/structure of paragraphs

Last edited by luke; 10-13-2012 at 12:24 AM.
luke is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #43
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
How impressive of a feat is it?
I never thought it was that great considering that Moorer was a former light heavyweight who did not have a great chin, and Foreman had 2 other chances to win a title against Holyfield and Morrison and lost. I figured given all these chances, he could land a clean punch against Moorer, who did not give angles.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #44
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

The acomplishment was very impresive. The proformance by Foreman was not the best though.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #45
TerryESB
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 183

Moorer lost because he is a dummy who wouldnt follow Teddy's instructions.
TerryESB is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum