Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
JudoPlayer

vCash: 500
Default Judo Combined with Western Boxing?

how good?
JudoPlayer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800
Default Re: Judo Combined with Western Boxing?

not good enough to avoid kicks.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
JudoPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
not good enough to avoid kicks.
i dont think kicks are as big a deal..i dont think you need a life time of training to defend them. much of what you learn in boxing is useful with some mild adapation. also..i really think the mauy thai stance has its own draw backs in so far as you lean back and lose punching power and also make yourself more valunable to take downs.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

**** off Johnstown
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoPlayer View Post
i dont think kicks are as big a deal..i dont think you need a life time of training to defend them. much of what you learn in boxing is useful with some mild adapation. also..i really think the mauy thai stance has its own draw backs in so far as you lean back and lose punching power and also make yourself more valunable to take downs.
Once you get kicked in the leg by a guy that knows how to kick, you may change your mind.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
JudoPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Once you get kicked in the leg by a guy that knows how to kick, you may change your mind.
i have been...i admit not by anyone elite..but then i am not elite either. find that the basic defense for a leg kick...the check..is pretty easy to ****ing learn as long as you have any coordination at all..if you have had success at boxing and judo, than you should be able to pick it up. I am not saying some cross training isnt suggested, but it think judo and boxing as a core with a bit of cross training is great. also,..even good kickers..if you have good footwork, you can often step in and punch. id rather get kicked in the thigh than punched with 5 oz gloves.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Quote:
id rather get kicked in the thigh than punched with 5 oz gloves.
You can get kicked in other places too.

I'd agree with your basic conceit that judo and boxing is a good base for martial arts. one would have to supplement that with some kind of muay thai/kicking training as well as jiujitsu to round out their submissions.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
JudoPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post

I'd agree with your basic conceit that judo and boxing is a good base for martial arts. one would have to supplement that with some kind of muay thai/kicking training as well as jiujitsu to round out their submissions.
i always thought jeremy williams (the boxer) could have made a really good run at mma..but it didnt make sense at the time..not enough money
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
Yeah, Ray Mercer is a pretty tough guy, but one kick to the head by an elite kicker, and he said **** it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
JudoPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Yeah, Ray Mercer is a pretty tough guy, but one kick to the head by an elite kicker, and he said **** it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
my issue, as a boxing fan with that is..number 1...mercer was shot for a long time, but number two...i think its unfair to give the kicker bare shins while wearing full fight gloves.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

As long as you have enough looks at certain kicking styles, Judo is fine. The biggest hurdle is understanding a kicker has great range and will use blind angles. See how Ray got caught with that? Probably never saw a kick like that in his life.

A judoka should understand this and with boxing would be able to control middle and inside fighting. Of course, trick is going to be protecting ones own legs with that combination of skills, but I think it would be very viable so long as whoever it is has good power and actually has some talent with Judo.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Good base, but I've had a different experience with kickboxing than you. That is, guys I've totally owned in boxing the round before totally turn it around when they're allowed to kick. Throws off distance and timing.

Also, as has been discussed on here a million times, a lot of judo throws either require the gi or are very difficult to do without it since the unbalancing and momentum you need is harder to generate and control if you don't have a gi to yank on. You'll learn subs and balance and all that, but a lot of the offense won't work nearly as well without a gi on.

I guess I'd say that it'd be better to have some functionality kicking and be comfortable taking kicks than to be better strictly punching and better to base grappling on methods that don't require and practice with a gi.

That is, kickboxing and wrestling.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Yep, there's some good no gi judo out there but throws tend to come with control and timing. Harder to control without the gi, but not impossible, and I don't think it's been given it's fair do.. BJJ is doing just fine, and it is still being refined with and without the gee. If Judo is given the same chance, you would likely see it a bit more. Being able to control the middle and inside is enough for a mauling style. Those two are a great combination and sync well together.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
i dont think kicks are as big a deal..i dont think you need a life time of training to defend them.
You just don't think at all.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Baracksucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
You just don't think at all.
plenty of wrestlers with a few months cross training slam the hell out of guys with years of muay thai..and even step in and punch them in the face with their goofy leaning back mauy thai style. and wrestling, the stance, is about the worst for checking kicks.

so boom goes the dynimate.
Baracksucker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum