Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #46
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Mayweather. In close fights like this, where everything is basically equal- I'd pick the better athlete, as they tend to get a way with a lot more Defensively and offensively. I'd pick Floyd to out athlete Ross in a tough fight. If you know what I mean
turbotime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #47
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Ross close UD.
Surprising big O. I just feel Floyd would realize his physical advantages early and take advantage when he can, which would be often due to his adaptability and reflex.

Of course Ross makes it a fight, but I just feel floyd lands the more telling stuff.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #48
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Floyd has never faced a top class technician before (unless we count Marquez). Totally unknown territory for him.

it's be close either way.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #49
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

hahaha i forgot the question and just followed the brawl

tough one for me to answer. the footage i've seen of ross is limited but his chin, technique and versitility are, to me, top rate. all 3, the latter two especially are damned important ot beating a fighter like mayweather. those, along with workrate, make ross extremely dangerous.

on the other hand, mayweather is pretty brilliant. there are a lot of knocks against him, but he's great at what he does. his defense may prevent ross from getting too much offense going and i think his counters will land.

My take...

Rounds 1-5: Mayweather takes an early lead, winning the final 3 rounds with accurate, sharp counters while Ross struggles slightly to find mayweathers timing. Ross tries in vain to control Mayweather, who slides out and lands the right. Mayweather is getting ****y.

Mayweather, 3-2

Rounds 6-10: Ross begins timing Mayweather with the jab and interrupting his advances. Floyd is forced into a defensive stance as Ross picks up points and begins avoiding more counters. Mayweather is still landing, and hard, but Ross rarely blinks and controls the tempo of the fight and lands more shots, often to the body. Mayweather attempts to walk Ross down towards the final 2 rounds of the stanza but is pushed back.

Ross 5-5

Rounds 11-15: Ross picks up the pace gradually and by the 12th, is trying to run over Mayweather, coming in hard with the double jab and throwing blistering combos. This creates opportunities for Floyd to counter, which he does and begins using movement to avoid Ross. Unfortunately, Floyd finds his feet aren't up to the task at 147 and he's consistently cornered by Ross. He's rarely hurt and never in danger of getting knocked out but Ross controls the rounds clearly and turns Floyd too defensive to score points.

Ross, 9-6

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Heresy I know....but Floyd wins...IMO
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #51
split_decision
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I would root for Ross and I think he can beat Mayweather. He has the skills and ring smarts to do so. Also in his favor is Mayweather's tendency to get off to slow starts. Mayweather on the other hand is bigger and can stay on the outside. I think it will come down to how many of the early rounds Ross can win and rather it is a 12 or 15 round bout. I know normaly it would seem more logical to pick the old school boxer over 15 and the contempary boxer over 12 but I think Mayweather who is a strong finisher would do better over 15 hear while Ross will have more likely have more chance of having a lead over 12 than he would over 15.
Either way it is going to be a close fight 12 or 15 rounds.
love this post
split_decision is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Surprising big O. I just feel Floyd would realize his physical advantages early and take advantage when he can, which would be often due to his adaptability and reflex.

Of course Ross makes it a fight, but I just feel floyd lands the more telling stuff.
Ross' adaptability is more proven against a more diverse group of stylists than Floyd has been up against.

Ross takes a close, but clear decision over 15. Would be a great fight I'm sure but I'm pretty comfortable with saying Ross was the better fighter of the two and not at a stylistic disadvantage here.

Floyd would beat some great fighters, but not this one in my opinion.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #53
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Note now Mayweather's slowed down he has a better jab than Ross
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #54
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Then how come I just schooled your dumb, lying ass in this and countless other threads?

I have boxed, and been around boxers all my life.

Nice try though.

Oh, so now there's "rules" on who's "worthy of debate"??

Let's see these rules then.

And there you go: first you talk about how much "harder" it is, but then you turn around and claim there's no trouble/risk associated with a fighter doing it.

You're just throwing shit at the walls and seeing what sticks.

Which makes you a worthless *****.

No, I haven't. You're just making shit up (as usual) to avoid addressing a post that clearly schools your ass.

oh, those were the days.

Note though, that only pp is around these days. He outlasts them, that's what he does.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #55
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Mayweather UD !

at 135 then

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum