Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #46
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cases of Mental Illness in Boxers?

Has anyone mentioned Jerry Quarry? Pugilistic dementia to the point that he couldn't tie his own shoes in his later days. Mike Quarry, same thing.

I believe Bobby Chacon also has had mental troubles. At one point he went missing for a week or more and turned up in Arizona with no memory of how he got there, IIRC.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #47
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

I met Chuvalo when I was 12 but I didn't really understand what he had gone through. I'll dig up the polaroid.

Mickey Walker was picked up on the streets and the cops thought he was just some drunk dude but really he was suffering from effects in the boxing ring, mainly dementia.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #48
smitty78
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
If Graziano claimed to have ever beaten up LaMotta then he was crazier than anyone you can name.
He claimed he did it numerous times.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
smitty78 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #49
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Herol Graham and Nigel Benn both attemted suicide after their careers ended. Benn then carried on the puzzling behaviour by becoming a preacher
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #50
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
We often focus on the physical wounds that boxers suffer during their careers and after retirement. But the sport clearly takes a major phsychological toll, not just getting punched, but also the money woes, the pressures of fame, fear of losing, being abandoned by fans, and lust for long gone glory. Who were some fighters who lost their mental health to boxing?

I recall reading that Ad Wolgast spent the last decade of his life thinking he was training for a bout with Joe Gans, something like twenty years after Gans had passed away.

Terry McGovern suffered about a dozen differant nervous breakdowns, including several violent episodes directed at his family.

I met Gerry Cooney at the IBHOF. I'm glad the guy has his money still becausse talking with him it was clear that the guy has some kind of awful inferiority complex/self esteem issues probably from a combination of his abusive father, the Holmes loss, and the unwanted pressure of being a 'white hope'.

Any others?
Tommy Hurricane Jackson was, " knitting with only one needle".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #51
split_decision
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
We often focus on the physical wounds that boxers suffer during their careers and after retirement. But the sport clearly takes a major phsychological toll, not just getting punched, but also the money woes, the pressures of fame, fear of losing, being abandoned by fans, and lust for long gone glory. Who were some fighters who lost their mental health to boxing?

I recall reading that Ad Wolgast spent the last decade of his life thinking he was training for a bout with Joe Gans, something like twenty years after Gans had passed away.

Terry McGovern suffered about a dozen differant nervous breakdowns, including several violent episodes directed at his family.

I met Gerry Cooney at the IBHOF. I'm glad the guy has his money still becausse talking with him it was clear that the guy has some kind of awful inferiority complex/self esteem issues probably from a combination of his abusive father, the Holmes loss, and the unwanted pressure of being a 'white hope'.

Any others?
a fantasy fight poster should be made for Wolgast vs Gans
be like a tribute
split_decision is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum