Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: Pavlik is a bad fight for ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Fools always think this is 1999 and that jobs range from cleaning toilets at the local supermarket to being a bin man, it's beyond reason for someone to have a job that allows them to procrastinate on their smart phone/pc/laptop...... and don't mention internet on a phone i've got the latest Nokia 3210 and there's no internet to be found.

3210 is arguably the best phone ever.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post

3210 is arguably the best phone ever.
That was indeed a beautiful phone. Typing in the keys for the Axel Foley ringtone .
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4021

Ward would school Pavlik easily
DanishFightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Ward gets an "A+" where Rosinsky gets a "B-." However, I watched Pav/Rosinsky 3 times, and a few different things occured to me. KP fought Rosinsky before there was any talk about Ward/Pavlik, but Rosinsky was a pretty decent Ward tune up.

The only time Rosinsky bothered Pav was when he hit Kelly with a very ward-esque head butt. A short time later Will ended up on the ropes eating about 6 KP shoulders to the jaw. Love him or hate him, fouling KP is never a good idea.

I noticed that in the Froch fight Ward stayed clean for the most part. I suspect he stayed clean because he knew that if he fouled Froch, Carl would come unstuck on his ass. He'll have to keep it clean with Pav as well, and considering Ward's normal tactics that is not to his advantage.

Back to Rosinsky. I find the criticism of Pavlik's performance in that fight to be way off base. Pavlik fought a guy who was a stylistic nightmare for him, stayed calm and resolute, and won 9 of 10 rounds. Will Rosinsky is no Andre Ward, but Pav shows signs of being a calmer, more thoughtful fighter than he has ever been. He'll be able to up his game a notch or two between now and February.

Whether people want to admit it or not has no bearing on reality. Kelly Pavlik is the best in-fighter Ward has faced to date. He uses his shoulders well, he can hook with both hands, he throws uppercuts with both hands, he shifts from orthodox to southpaw and back seemlessly, he rides punches well, and he's strong as an ox.

KP's biggest problem with Ward will lie in the fact that he does not transition well from offense to defense. When Ward leads Pavlik will have real problems doing much other than covering up. Kelly is not a great counter puncher. He says he's working on that, but I really have not seen much progress. The real danger may come from Ward seizing the initiative and keeping it. Pav may not be able to make him back off because he can't counter him.

Andre Ward, "The Son of God," is a pretentious, arrogant, concieted asshole. He will under-estimate Pavlik. Take that to the bank. A few rounds in He'll realize he is in a real fight, and it will be intersting to see how he responds to that.

Pavlik, on the other hand, knows he will be facing one of the top fighters of the current era: A kid who stands a good chance of usurping Calzaghe's place as the all time best at 168. I've been following KP since he was 18 years old, so trust me on this, Pavlik wants redemption, and Ward is his shot. As long as KP stays on his current path, and keeps his shit together, he may very well put on his best performance to date.

Will he win? As of right now, I doubt it. Will he surprise the shit out of a bunch of people? Probably.
booradley is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Tyler-Durden
Champion
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ward schools him ea-si-ly.
Tyler-Durden is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

booradley- you convinced me, competitive fight!
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

Ward would never under-estimate Pavlik , or any other fighter.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Ward gets an "A+" where Rosinsky gets a "B-." However, I watched Pav/Rosinsky 3 times, and a few different things occured to me. KP fought Rosinsky before there was any talk about Ward/Pavlik, but Rosinsky was a pretty decent Ward tune up.

The only time Rosinsky bothered Pav was when he hit Kelly with a very ward-esque head butt. A short time later Will ended up on the ropes eating about 6 KP shoulders to the jaw. Love him or hate him, fouling KP is never a good idea.

I noticed that in the Froch fight Ward stayed clean for the most part. I suspect he stayed clean because he knew that if he fouled Froch, Carl would come unstuck on his ass. He'll have to keep it clean with Pav as well, and considering Ward's normal tactics that is not to his advantage.

Back to Rosinsky. I find the criticism of Pavlik's performance in that fight to be way off base. Pavlik fought a guy who was a stylistic nightmare for him, stayed calm and resolute, and won 9 of 10 rounds. Will Rosinsky is no Andre Ward, but Pav shows signs of being a calmer, more thoughtful fighter than he has ever been. He'll be able to up his game a notch or two between now and February.

Whether people want to admit it or not has no bearing on reality. Kelly Pavlik is the best in-fighter Ward has faced to date. He uses his shoulders well, he can hook with both hands, he throws uppercuts with both hands, he shifts from orthodox to southpaw and back seemlessly, he rides punches well, and he's strong as an ox.

KP's biggest problem with Ward will lie in the fact that he does not transition well from offense to defense. When Ward leads Pavlik will have real problems doing much other than covering up. Kelly is not a great counter puncher. He says he's working on that, but I really have not seen much progress. The real danger may come from Ward seizing the initiative and keeping it. Pav may not be able to make him back off because he can't counter him.

Andre Ward, "The Son of God," is a pretentious, arrogant, concieted asshole. He will under-estimate Pavlik. Take that to the bank. A few rounds in He'll realize he is in a real fight, and it will be intersting to see how he responds to that.

Pavlik, on the other hand, knows he will be facing one of the top fighters of the current era: A kid who stands a good chance of usurping Calzaghe's place as the all time best at 168. I've been following KP since he was 18 years old, so trust me on this, Pavlik wants redemption, and Ward is his shot. As long as KP stays on his current path, and keeps his shit together, he may very well put on his best performance to date.

Will he win? As of right now, I doubt it. Will he surprise the shit out of a bunch of people? Probably.
I think Ward would win comfortably but not dominantly. It won't be like Bernard, because Ward isn't quite as fluid as Hop. But he is a bit rougher. I don't like Kelly's chances in this one, but I think it will be a lot more entertaining than a lot of people give Kelly credit for.

I see it as a clear 8-4 fight with a lot of close rounds.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post

Good post but Goossen had better be prepared to throw some SERIOUS money at Kelly if he's gonna take this fight. Pavlik knows that he's still a big draw, has a ton of options at 168/175 and can make good money against all of them.
Why take a fight that will likely end his career for chump change(by his standards) when he can make really good money against beatable guys like Abraham or Froch? With that said, I'd rather see Kelly pick up a minor belt against Rodriguez first, then fight Abraham or Froch, THEN cash out against Ward.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

Is Pavlik still around?

Jesus. He flattered to deceive at the peak of his "powers" but now he's just another also ran.

Pavlik was never near a top level fighter during his middleweight title reign and now he's irrelevent.

Ward's dining at the sumptuous top table and Pavlik is picking up scraps of bread from the floor.

Nonsense fight. Pointless. And one that would see Pavlik eat a lot of religous leather.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Like a previous post ,this would be as lopsided as the Hopkins fight !
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfWales View Post
Is Pavlik still around?

Jesus. He flattered to deceive at the peak of his "powers" but now he's just another also ran.

Pavlik was never near a top level fighter during his middleweight title reign and now he's irrelevent.

Ward's dining at the sumptuous top table and Pavlik is picking up scraps of bread from the floor.

Nonsense fight. Pointless. And one that would see Pavlik eat a lot of religous leather.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
Bravado
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Depends on what Pavlik comes in to fight honestly. Im not too sold on this fight honestly. Maybe because i watched Hopkins/Pavlik on Saturday so i don't wanna say something biased but hopefully it'll be a good fight
Bravado is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
Bulletproof
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
People forget Ward has a very shaky chin, maybe it wont be Pavlik but sooner or later somebody will crack it.
Shaky chin based on what? Ward has been down the exact same number of times as Marvin Hagler! ONCE!!!!!
Bulletproof is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

The only reason it's a bad fight for Ward is because he won't get credit for beating up a drunk.
Slothrop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum