Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Thoughts on sparring better fighters

Can anybody give me advice on sparring better guys. I always hear that its best to spar with better and more experienced boxers. Can you gain more experience from sparring better guys, in defense or offense?
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
danhardinges304
Journeyman

Default Re: Thoughts on sparring better fighters

Yes but you only gain more experience when your actually sparring either people better or not so good your always learning. If you come up against a experience boxer just work on what your best at as well as working the ring as a experienced boxer should cut down the ring.Against someone with less experience just work on defence your timing faints and using the ring
danhardinges304 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Can anybody give me advice on sparring better guys. I always hear that its best to spar with better and more experienced boxers. Can you gain more experience from sparring better guys, in defense or offense?
Spar against them like you would anyone else. They'll help you out, show you your mistakes and help you with technique.

I don't get what you expect for an answer to this question.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

From my limited experience:

Sparring guys who I feel I'm better than helps me know what my strengths are and boosts my confidence. This allows me to work on new things that I've been practicing on the bag/shadowboxing. I feel more calm and relaxed throughout the whole session.

Sparring better guys helps me know what my weaknesses are and keeps my ego in check. This allows me to work on modifying my strategy on the fly and identifying what areas in my game need immediate attention. I feel more worried/anxious about what to do and what not to do, but at the same time it drives me to be more competitive and try harder, as if to say, "You're getting the better of me, but I'm not gonna back down."

I've learned from both situations, but I feel like sparring better guys has helped me improve more all around.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Spar against them like you would anyone else. They'll help you out, show you your mistakes and help you with technique.

I don't get what you expect for an answer to this question.
Maybe cos I ve always heard that it was good to spar with better guys the reason I ask is cos my nephew wants to box and is 27yrs old he had a few amateurs fites and 8 pro fites is coming back after being off for five yrs.
He feels he has no time to waste so instead of sitting around he wants to make up for lost time and gain experience in the gym boxing with pro's. Does that make sense? Can you gain experience that way? His idea is to treat the sparring session as a fight.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing