Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Sparring with old men lol

Has their ever been an elder member of your gym that does boxing for fitness but wants to spar? One time this old guy in decent shape for his age maybe 60 was telling me how no one wants to spar with him because he's a "old man" I told him i'd put in a round or two with him to be courteous and my coach looked at me like if you hurt this guy i swear to god you're dead. I worked on head movement and defense while he threw his punches. I would tap him every now and then so he didnt feel like i was letting him win or anything. He seemed really happy afterwards and I believe it was a feather in his cap. He had a better jab than I thought. Have you ever sparred with older members of your boxing club? if so whats your experience/story?

Seems like a lame thread but i'm just curious and what the etiquette is for sparring old guys lol
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Sparring with old men lol

Depends what you count as old. My 2nd fight ( a week ago) was against a 41 yr old firefighter. I'm 20 by the way
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"Sparring with old men" sounds like the title for a shit film
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

there was a guy in our gym who won the masters world championship, guy was in his like late 40s but used to spar all the kids.
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

No, but once a 60 yr old guy showed up at kickboxing and I was praying he wasn't going to try and spar...lol.
Honestly, I dunno, I would probably do the same thing that you did. Which is let the old guy have his day. It ain't about you today. That's respectable.
I would probably rather eat shots that dish em to a guy that old.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

one of my coaches is 61 years old and spars regularly with guys in their 20's and 30's at my gym, mma guys, boxers, pros amateurs, you name it. guy is tough as nails and in pretty good shape for his age. we dont try and hurt him in sparring but hes alot better then you think hes going to be, he won the ringside worlds for his age and weight class last summer
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
billy boy balbo

vCash: 75

sparred ken buchanan when i was 14, gave me a black eye
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

That sounds like the proper way to go. Be defensive, give a tap and throw every once in a while to make it real for them. A jab to the body is a good way to keep it lively; not a terribly stiff punch which you can let up on, and it seems tricky so they actually become aware of things they weren't prior.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 80000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Has their ever been an elder member of your gym that does boxing for fitness but wants to spar? One time this old guy in decent shape for his age maybe 60 was telling me how no one wants to spar with him because he's a "old man" I told him i'd put in a round or two with him to be courteous and my coach looked at me like if you hurt this guy i swear to god you're dead. I worked on head movement and defense while he threw his punches. I would tap him every now and then so he didnt feel like i was letting him win or anything. He seemed really happy afterwards and I believe it was a feather in his cap. He had a better jab than I thought. Have you ever sparred with older members of your boxing club? if so whats your experience/story?

Seems like a lame thread but i'm just curious and what the etiquette is for sparring old guys lol
You should have let him knock you down so he will really be happy.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
You should have let him knock you down so he will really be happy.
lol...you would be a saint. But what if the old guy starts talking shit?
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
billy boy balbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
****ing awesome, mate. A black eye off Ken Buchanan. Sweet.
i was going about showing it off
as you can imagine i was a bit wary, old man but still a former champion, we were both going very light until i thought **** it and hit him with a hard straight 1-2 to the body,he grimaced and just turned the heat up and started laying in to me, suppose its like a switch that these guys can turn on no matter what age
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy boy balbo View Post
as you can imagine i was a bit wary, old man but still a former champion, we were both going very light until i thought **** it and hit him with a hard straight 1-2 to the body,he grimaced and just turned the heat up and started laying in to me, suppose its like a switch that these guys can turn on no matter what age
Thats Awesome! You went Duran on his ass lol
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
andy mack
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

My first time body sparring I sparred with a complete lunatic of an old man. He was about 60 and before we started sparring he put his head through the arm part of his vest so It rode down and everyone could see his flabby grey man boobs.

We touched gloves and I threw a couple of light jabs just to test the water but he just raced towards me full pelt throwing left and right hooks non stop until he started to tire. I thought I'd just concentrate on my movement rather than trying to beat up an old man, but whenever we got in a clinch instead of break he would just hold and try and judo throw me to the mat and if we got near the ropes he would charge at me grab my arms and then hold me against the ropes by grabbing onto the top one and smashing his chest into me! My instructor was doing pads with some of the kids so didn't see any of it, but was one of the strangest experiences in a boxing ring.

Tbh I think the guy just loved fighting and didn't really care about rules or technique as his nose was broken in about 3 places
andy mack is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy boy balbo View Post
Thats quality.
Body shots are the best way for that kind of thing. Bodyshots hurt like a cunt but you can go easy and still get the message across.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
one of my coaches is 61 years old and spars regularly with guys in their 20's and 30's at my gym, mma guys, boxers, pros amateurs, you name it. guy is tough as nails and in pretty good shape for his age. we dont try and hurt him in sparring but hes alot better then you think hes going to be, he won the ringside worlds for his age and weight class last summer
My old gym was like this. The guy who ran it used to fight in backroom smoker bareknuckle matches before he went pro.

When he was in shape he used to spar with Aaron Pryor.

I asked him one day "When was your last fight? How did it go?"

He said: "I was last week in a parking lot. It was a round 1 KO. Some punks tried to jump the wrong guy."

Also, I've sparred the boxing coach at a local university.. he's mid 50's and very good. Beat my ass easily (I was 36 at the time).

My current gym one of the coaches just won the Ringside Nationals at Bantam and he's older than me, probably late 40's, and I'm sure he would beat me easily also...just from doing mitts and drills with him.
Slacker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing