McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Price's career going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartALLthaTImE View Post
He is a good fighter, no doubt.

But now he will be facing 45 year old, I repeat 45 year old (!) Matt Skelton in another meaningless fight.

Price has showcased his abilities more than enough against useless Englobums and needs to step it up !

He is becoming another Povetkin.

There are tons of interesting opponents out there, he could fight Chisora, Fury, Adamek, etc. all of these fight could be made if Price and perhaps more importantly his team agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
atrocious matchmaking
He is 14-0. He's learning. Skelton, if it happens, is happening in December. That's a fast turnaround. He's hardly "another Povetkin." Povetkin is a protected "world" champion. Price is boxing his way up the rankings - at his own pace.

He's 29. As a HW, he may peak as late as five years from now. At this rate, he will have fought for a world title before then.

People need to chill the **** out about propsects. Fighting for the title at 14-0 is totally abnormal. Lewis was 22-0 when he first fought for a wold title and likley didn't peak until he was 34, 35. Wladimir was 34-1 and didn't peak until he was 33, 34.

Now, at 14-0 and aged 29, Price is "another Povetkin"?

No.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #47
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He is 14-0. He's learning. Skelton, if it happens, is happening in December. That's a fast turnaround. He's hardly "another Povetkin." Povetkin is a protected "world" champion. Price is boxing his way up the rankings - at his own pace.

He's 29. As a HW, he may peak as late as five years from now. At this rate, he will have fought for a world title before then.

People need to chill the **** out about propsects. Fighting for the title at 14-0 is totally abnormal. Lewis was 22-0 when he first fought for a wold title and likley didn't peak until he was 34, 35. Wladimir was 34-1 and didn't peak until he was 33, 34.

No.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #48
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, I would say that's about right. Ali fought for the title at 19-0, I don't think Price will be that far behind him. Comparing him to the greatest HW of all time seems rash though, to say the very least, and about typical of the way prospects are treated around here.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Quote:
Yeah, I would say that's about right. Ali fought for the title at 19-0, I don't think Price will be that far behind him. Comparing him to the greatest HW of all time seems rash though.
I was joking, damn imagine being 22 and facing Sonny Liston, incredible.

Price if he makes the rights moves he'll be fine.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, those fights made Ali mentally I think. He was always special but he was a different man after that first fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #51
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXLr619DDk[/ame]

Here is Mike Tyson's 14th opponent, 13-6 Sammy Scaff I'd pick Audley Harrison to beat this guy. Suprising proof that Mike Tyson was "another Povetkin."
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #52
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

Quote:

Here is Mike Tyson's 14th opponent, 13-6 Sammy Scaff I'd pick Audley Harrison to beat this guy. Suprising proof that Mike Tyson was "another Povetkin."
you will get nailed to the cross for that lol...
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #53
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa huge bitch View Post
you will get nailed to the cross for that lol...
You should see the guy Tyson fought for his fifteenth opponent...let's just say a 45 year old Matt Skelton would be a heavy favourite to beat him.

Tyson was moved along beautifully. He gathered confidence experience and when he fought for the title he was aboslutely primed. When he was 15-0, like Price, he was fighting opponents he was expected to easily beat. Yes, Tyson was much younger, but Price is in no hurry. He's an athlete, takes care of himself, and has no wear. I wouldn't expect him to start dropping off until he was around 36.

He has some, if not a lot of time, and his style is good for that type of longevity. Skelton is fine. If he's still fighting the same type of guy this time next year? We got a problem.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #54
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160

Quote:

The issue is not just the quality of opponent in his 14th fight, he's three and a half years into his career.
Tyson was fighting Michael Spinks at that point, and had already fought Holmes, Biggs, Tucker and pinklon Thomas.

The fact that price is 29 means he should be moving along much quicker. This would be fine for a 14th fight if it was less than two years into his career.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #55
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160

Quote:

No.
Yes wlad and lewis were still at their peak in their 30s, but not their physical peak, they would have lost speed and stamina by then, but what kept them at their peak then was the wealth of experience they had acquired through spending years at the top of the division. Price won't have that at 33.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #56
Jаck
P4P King
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc84 View Post
Yes wlad and lewis were still at their peak in their 30s, but not their physical peak, they would have lost speed and stamina by then, but what kept them at their peak then was the wealth of experience they had acquired through spending years at the top of the division. Price won't have that at 33.
That's a great point. Price fans try to delusion themselves by concentrating on how few fights he's has so far, totally ignoring the fact that it's one thing to get in trouble in the ring when you're still young and bounce back from it, and completely different to get stretched on the canvas for the first time in your 30s... It might well be a career-ender by then. Just look at Harrison, he's a fine example of this road map.
Jаck is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #57
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You should see the guy Tyson fought for his fifteenth opponent...let's just say a 45 year old Matt Skelton would be a heavy favourite to beat him.

Tyson was moved along beautifully. He gathered confidence experience and when he fought for the title he was aboslutely primed. When he was 15-0, like Price, he was fighting opponents he was expected to easily beat. Yes, Tyson was much younger, but Price is in no hurry. He's an athlete, takes care of himself, and has no wear. I wouldn't expect him to start dropping off until he was around 36.

He has some, if not a lot of time, and his style is good for that type of longevity. Skelton is fine. If he's still fighting the same type of guy this time next year? We got a problem.
i agree with everything you said buddy..i just get worried about over confidence and what price will do when he finally steps up and cant knock guys out easily.will he cope well??wlad didnt and it took him a while to get over it..skelton wont give him rounds.and we knew audley wouldnt.thats all i was saying.he needs rounds imo...great prospect tho...

ive really got a taste for price vs helenius tho.id love to see the bout now..

and ill not start about tyson i couldnt be anoyed arguing with his fans
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #58
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The issue is not just the quality of opponent in his 14th fight, he's three and a half years into his career.
Tyson was fighting Michael Spinks at that point, and had already fought Holmes, Biggs, Tucker and pinklon Thomas.

The fact that price is 29 means he should be moving along much quicker. This would be fine for a 14th fight if it was less than two years into his career.
price is a super heavyweight.they dont usually peak untill later..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #59
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fighters improve and decline at the same time; their peak is where the tehcnical, tactical and strategic aspects of their boxing meets the nearest high point of their phyiscal prime. But this is different for every type. For Tyson it was far, far more important to be at or near his physical peak to be at his very best; this is not the case for Price who has a style that lends itself, usually, to longevity.

This is because a cornerstone of this style is to control the tempo (sparing his stamina) and is based more upon technical excellence than speed to begin with (though a dramatic drop off will still really hurt, obviously).

But all of this is in his future - we'll see. My point is that those deriding him for facing his fifth opponent in one calander year because that opponent is a weak opponent don't know what they are talking about. It is natural, normal, and of surprise to absolutely nobody in the indsutry.

Next year he will face Fury or someone similar - that's got management. If he continues to fight at this level next year, like I said, we've got a problem.

But that almost certainly won't happen.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #60
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jаck View Post
That's a great point. Price fans try to delusion themselves by concentrating on how few fights he's has so far, totally ignoring the fact that it's one thing to get in trouble in the ring when you're still young and bounce back from it, and completely different to get stretched on the canvas for the first time in your 30s... It might well be a career-ender by then. Just look at Harrison, he's a fine example of this road map.
There is some truth to this, but even ****ing Audley Harrison got five chances or something.

Price's age is not ideal, but it is what it is. There's no changing it. He has to be managed in the correct way, and he is being.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum