Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever train in everyday clothing?

It isn't a bad idea to think of a gi as a piece of training equipment, not a garment you are likely to wear in a self-defense situation.

A gi can even the playing field athletically. When training, a gi limits the advantage someone may have athletically over their opponent. The friction of two combatants grappling with gis is much greater than no gi. Due to the increase in friction it is much harder to muscle out of submission holds or bad positions and you are forced to rely on your technique much more.

A gi slows down a grappling match. This is another example of the gi being used as a training tool to help your technique. Not only does the gi limit one players strength/size advantage, it also considerably slows down the match. A slower match means more thinking, ad******g, and considering by both players. Slower matches allow you to make slight technical adjustments more easily increasing the technical level of the match.

Basically, it is easy to see the value of gi training if you think of the gi as a training tool that is used to increase your technical level of grappling. It doesn't necessarily best represent an MMA or street fight scenario, but neither does wearing 16oz sparring gloves, headgear, rashguards/whatever. It is piece of training equipment.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Maybe i missed something. Doesn't your last sentence support exactly what the "retarded MMA wannabees" are saying about training no-gi?

Not trying to be an ass. I have never grappled myself so i'm trying to understand this.
given that the vast majority of people are wearing clothes when it kicks off then all things being equal the advantage clearly goes to the person who knows how to manipulate those clothes.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Some missing the point here.

As Rusty nails states most people wear clothes most of there lives (unless there nudists ).

Coming from a Judo / Muay Thai training regime getting a fast, strong grip on collars, sleeves or lapels adds immense torque to the stand up grapple, throwing, subs and chokes.

Working on recovering from missed punches to grabbing collars, mullets or any other handy grip and transitioning into strong throws gets everyone interested as they can see the practicalities.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
In order to break up ring training and show techniques in a different light we do the odd session in normal clothing. Gain a new appreciation for Thai and renewed emphasis on things that get overlooked in ring training.
Have done this a few times and it does make a difference. Pretty hard kicking with any effectiveness in tight jeans for instance.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Thanks for clearing that up. From now on, when I get into a fight, I will strip naked....and only pick fights with guys in tight jeans. Come to think of it, this could present a different set of problems.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. From now on, when I get into a fight, I will strip naked....and only pick fights with guys in tight jeans. Come to think of it, this could present a different set of problems.

Yep - you would be dickless instead of speechless. Or possibly speechless from being dickless.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
I hear this all the time from retarded mma wannabes, theres that and "i train no gi because its better for the street"
its one of the most ignorant things i consistently hear in regards to jiu jitsu.
people have no idea the the things you can do to someone wearing a hoodie or even just a singlet.
If it's cold and you need to wear a hoodie though... What are you suppose to wear? Or are you simply talking about people training in a hoodie?
My trainer who was against wearing anything in training that you don't typically wear, never wore a hoodie or anything. Typically he'd just walk around in sweat pants, a shirt, a small jacket maybe (no hood), and tennis shoes. His casual wardrobe as well.
However, it does make some sense if your going to be walking around daily life in a hoodie, or cowboy boots, or tight jeans, etc you'd kind of want to know before hand how much you can manipulate these things.
If I can kick somebody 6' foot in the face when I wear my shorts, but happen to be in tight jeans and get in a scrap. Don't think I will be able to kick them in the face that day. You might go for it, and it will cost you dearly.
Personally I don't bother with any of that because I mainly box and throw low kicks so regardless of what I wear I can do those 2, but if I trained in a lot of other forms of martial arts something I think I'd incorporate if I use it for self-defense.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

This thread reminds me of Joe Rogan talking about back in his TKD days before he'd go on a night out he'd make sure he could perform a head kick in the jeans he was wearing, just in case.

The excercise doesn't really translate to boxing, can see the benefit in a grappling sense though and ina kicking discipline. Helps remind you what you can actually use in a street fight.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum