Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #196
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Today's latin boxers are perhaps a good comparison to the old timers in some ways. Many of the best fighters from Latin America over the last decades haven't had that much of an amateur background, butt instead started as a pro at an early age and racked up loads of fights. Chavez is of course one example.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #197
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Today's latin boxers are perhaps a good comparison to the old timers in some ways. Many of the best fighters from Latin America over the last decades haven't had that much of an amateur background, butt instead started as a pro at an early age and racked up loads of fights. Chavez is of course one example.
too me, latin and other 3rd world boxers are proof that old school boxers could hang or beat modern fighters. Why? because, many of those countries are like america or europe in the 1900-1940. People say "old time fighters had poor nutrition" (in fact it was usually pretty good....just that they might have missed some meals) well how did guys coming up in mexico usually eat? training methods? most are old school, until they become world champions. anyhow...
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #198
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
My hair is like wire and I need truckloads of deodorant.

I also can't sing.

That help?
Well, not really, 2 of those fit me too.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #199
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Lemme tell you what, man...

I've experimented with all kinds of body composition. I'm pretty lucky genetically in this regard; I can build fast and healthy, and I can shave fast and healthy. But, my proclivity when working out and training is to hulk up. I would say bulk up, but the proper term is hulk up. I have to be SO careful when I train; If I just cut loose and bust my ass for 6 hours, 2 hours lifting, I get big as a house in a hurry.

More muscle is a chore. I've had a ton of it before; I looked like an Adonis and all the ladies loved me. But man alive, did I feel slow, and my arms FELT heavier. Its hard hauling all the muscle around when you box. The bigger I am, the harder it was to be effective.

All the steroids made available to me would have exacerbated my stamina issues and my size issues. The muscle building, which I already do way better and easier than I would like, would just be insane.

Though, you bring up a good point...I have lived a fun life. My liver looks like desert camo, most likely, by now. Probably good I didn't mess with it further than attempting to murder it every weekend for 10 years.
Everyone has their ideal weight but maybe the weight exercises you were doing made you top heavy? BTW not all steroids give gains in size.

Wlad I know supposedly bulks up for fights as did Byrd

Obviously the likes of McCline and Briggs have gone too far in adding muscle that justs see them completely immobile and unable to defend themselves

Are you fan of stimulants? I like Ephedrine and DMAA for my cardio, they'll help in the ring too, especially DMAA as it keeps you focused and increases pain tolerance. Both are tested for if you're fighting pro, if you're a pro-sparring partner in your 40s though they could help you out
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #200
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3
modern boxers should generally be stronger, but adding muscle sacrifices speed so you cant be stronger and faster, less skilled is more subjective, there are less highly skilled fighters than at most points in boxing history, but floyd and ward are close to the best in their styles

quote, someone else
'You develop fast twitch fibres through heavy weight training and add in plyometrics and you will get faster, that's a fact. Muscle doesn't equate to strength. You can be stronger and faster, that's what every athlete in the world lifts weights for. Speed is a function of neuromuscular recruitment ability and tendon stiffness, things that are improved by weight training. Get your head out of your arse and the 1920's, the old myths about weight training should be well and truly dead at this point.'

from the general forum, any truth to this?
kingfisher3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum