Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #46
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 553
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

Jon Jones (and a couple of other high-profile guys) has had a lot of the power suddenly shift to his side recently. He is now a multi-millionaire who is comfortable publicly stating that he won't fight this guy or that guy. Has the money now gotten big enough that the top fighters are rich enough that they can start picking and choosing their fights based on what they find to be acceptable risk/reward?

I hope Jones isn't turning into Mayweather.

I don't see the problem here, after a fighter has whooped 18 different asses inside a cage, and defended UFC Gold 4x over the past year.

If a fight with Anderson Silva is what you are driving at, look no further as to 13'. This is the fight game my friend. Contracts should be as big as Jones' with Nike.

JJ v Sonnen will sell 500k, and no other match up out there right now could.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #47
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 553
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Oh BTW, this is what TUF outta be, I bet FOX came up with all these great ideas........
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
just when i thought id never have to hear chaels incomprehensibly annoying whine again this comes along.. hopefully jones retires him with any luck
No chance of that happening now. Chael has learned that all he needs to do is talk shit in public for a couple of months, and he'll make hundreds of thousands of dollars. No matter how badly he gets stomped by Jones, he'll be on Twitter a few days later manufacturing another feud.

This is a joke of a fight, even worse than Anderson and Bonnar.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #49
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

What the hell is Sonnen going to teach these guys anyway...the Lindland quick tap

And is Jones going to put his guys in an Iron Maiden to try and make their arms longer...

Let's hope Zuffa has enough money to cover the cost of all the broken doors and staged pranks
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #50
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
It's a terrible fight that shows how desperate the UFC has became after a year of mismanaging its programming on FX and FOX. That they have been reduced to this a year after their supposedly game changing tv deal shows just how badly things have gone.

And to say there's no credible alternatives is BS. What about Henderson? I could have sworn White was busy hyping that as a much see match as recently as August. The same time he was saying that Sonnen needed several victories at 205Ibs to warrant a title shot. What about Cormier who repeatedly offered to move down in weight to face Jones. Gustafsson has plenty of victories at 205Ibs too.

This is the actions of a blundering company backed into a corner. It's pathetic.
I have no idea what you are talking about. After TUF has become a MASSIVE anti-climax over the years with tons of hype invested into Page v Evans, Kimbo Slice, Chuck v Tito 3, Brock v JDS, Bisping v Mayhem, GSP v Kos, ect. They need a fight that wont turn into yet another damp squib to breath life back into TUF... This is a genius piece of business and wont do more harm than good...honest...

Booking a huge mismatch is obviously the way forward to counter the decline of a series in which a feud hasnt really delivered since Hendo's right hand connected with Bispings mouth, right?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #51
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
I don't see the problem here, after a fighter has whooped 18 different asses inside a cage, and defended UFC Gold 4x over the past year.

If a fight with Anderson Silva is what you are driving at, look no further as to 13'. This is the fight game my friend. Contracts should be as big as Jones' with Nike.

JJ v Sonnen will sell 500k, and no other match up out there right now could.
You can't hate on Jones for his level of competition - who has fought more often against a better class of opponent? Nobody in the UFC that I can think of.

He can have a gimme cash-in fight every so often. Rampage was one - more a name value guy than a legit title contender. Sonnen is another.

But we don't have the full information. Maybe Jones legitimately hates Sonnen's guts and wants to earn a fat stash of cash for beating the shit out of him. Any one of us would take a couple of million to beat someone's ass who we can't stand.

Still a bullshit fight IMO, but I'd like to know what happened behind the scenes.

And I have little sympathy for Hendo missing out. He really ****ed his bosses over by concealing a serious injury until the last second. The cancellation was basically Hendo's fault. And for all there is to legitimately criticize Sonnen for, the guy will step up and fight anyone at any time, and work his ass of to help promote it.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #52
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

It's a great lesson for the kiddies as well. Talking shit gets you far
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #53
kokoko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 297
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You can't hate on Jones for his level of competition - who has fought more often against a better class of opponent? Nobody in the UFC that I can think of.

He can have a gimme cash-in fight every so often. Rampage was one - more a name value guy than a legit title contender. Sonnen is another.

But we don't have the full information. Maybe Jones legitimately hates Sonnen's guts and wants to earn a fat stash of cash for beating the shit out of him. Any one of us would take a couple of million to beat someone's ass who we can't stand.

Still a bullshit fight IMO, but I'd like to know what happened behind the scenes.

And I have little sympathy for Hendo missing out. He really ****ed his bosses over by concealing a serious injury until the last second. The cancellation was basically Hendo's fault. And for all there is to legitimately criticize Sonnen for, the guy will step up and fight anyone at any time, and work his ass of to help promote it.

I think Jon Jones fighting Sonnen has Dana White's fingerprints all over it.

1. Dana White punishes Hendo and Machida. He punishes Hendo for hiding his injury. He further punishes Hendo by not letting him couch TUF, something that Hendo would probably jump at. He punishes Machida for backing out of the 1 month prep ufc 152 title shot. At the same time he gets the punished to fight each other, Machida versus Hendo, in a high risk and highly anticipated fight that will probably be the co-main event of a ppv or a UFC on Fox main event.

2. He rewards Sonnen with an undeserved title fight sending a signal to other UFC fighters, that if they step up, they get rewarded. It's no so much about deserving the title fight in the UFC, like Hendo did, but more about who is willing to step up when the UFC needs it.

3. He gets a chance to spring some life into TUF ratings as it moves to a non-Friday night air time.

4. He gets what he originally wanted in UFC 151, Jon Jones versus Sonnen. Is it more likely that Jon Jones had a sudden change of heart and went from being adamantly opposed to fight the undeserving Sonnen to being willing to fight. Or was it Dana White asking him to do it, either as a flat out demand (you don't say "no" to your boss twice) or with some persuasion. I honestly think that Jon Jones would have preferred to fight Hendo, like he mentioned in a UFC 151 post fight interview. Hendo is a legend. And, to Jones like he initially said, Sonnen is still very undeserving.
kokoko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #54
JohnJohn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

The stuff leading up to the fight should be interesting. As for the fight, I've got the feeling this is going to be Chael's swan song. After the beating Jon's going to put on him, Chael won't have many options left. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chael chumming it up with Lesner in the WWE.
JohnJohn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #55
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 553
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You can't hate on Jones for his level of competition - who has fought more often against a better class of opponent? Nobody in the UFC that I can think of.

He can have a gimme cash-in fight every so often. Rampage was one - more a name value guy than a legit title contender. Sonnen is another.

But we don't have the full information. Maybe Jones legitimately hates Sonnen's guts and wants to earn a fat stash of cash for beating the shit out of him. Any one of us would take a couple of million to beat someone's ass who we can't stand.

Still a bullshit fight IMO, but I'd like to know what happened behind the scenes.

And I have little sympathy for Hendo missing out. He really ****ed his bosses over by concealing a serious injury until the last second. The cancellation was basically Hendo's fault. And for all there is to legitimately criticize Sonnen for, the guy will step up and fight anyone at any time, and work his ass of to help promote it.

Name one, just one my friend.

Chael Sonnen is the man JJ should be fighting. The Champ beat everyone's ass, and this match up will lead to bigger and better things. This is how you set up a fight with Anderson Silva, and you should know better......
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #56
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 528
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Chael is the Ricardo Mayorga of the UFC except not as funny.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #57
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Name one, just one my friend.

Chael Sonnen is the man JJ should be fighting. The Champ beat everyone's ass, and this match up will lead to bigger and better things. This is how you set up a fight with Anderson Silva, and you should know better......


I said that Rampage got his shot in large part based on name value. In his last three fights before Jones, he was humbled by Rashad, won one of the most controversial decisions of the year against the Dragon, and decisioned Matt Hamill. Not a disgraceful runup to a title shot by any means, but if he wasn't a name guy I don't think it would have been enough.

And though I have no problem with Chael getting a title shot (he is a great company man, a top-level fighter, he works hard to promote his fights and he generates attention and interest) - he needs at least ONE good LHW win first FFS.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #58
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
I think Jon Jones fighting Sonnen has Dana White's fingerprints all over it.
No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
1. Dana White punishes Hendo and Machida. He punishes Hendo for hiding his injury. He further punishes Hendo by not letting him couch TUF, something that Hendo would probably jump at. He punishes Machida for backing out of the 1 month prep ufc 152 title shot. At the same time he gets the punished to fight each other, Machida versus Hendo, in a high risk and highly anticipated fight that will probably be the co-main event of a ppv or a UFC on Fox main event.


Sounds legit, and I have no problem with it either. Hendo really did **** them over. And Machida, I'm undecided. A title shot is a big deal and you should have time to have a full camp. On the other hand, I'd have a lot more sympathy for Machida's decision if he had not already had the experience of fighting Jones. And if he was out of shape and couldn't get in proper condition on a month's notice, that's on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
2. He rewards Sonnen with an undeserved title fight sending a signal to other UFC fighters, that if they step up, they get rewarded. It's no so much about deserving the title fight in the UFC, like Hendo did, but more about who is willing to step up when the UFC needs it.
I have no problem with that either. Fighters who step up SHOULD be rewarded for it, and it seems that the UFC actually does try to reward those employees who go the extra mile. You see that in a lot of ways, even in the things like the Twitter bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
3. He gets a chance to spring some life into TUF ratings as it moves to a non-Friday night air time.
Yep. But to be honest, I'm not really sure what they can do with TUF. How many shows maintain viewer interest over 17 seasons? Still, it should be entertaining. And if I were competing on it, I'd rather be on Chael's team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
4. He gets what he originally wanted in UFC 151, Jon Jones versus Sonnen. Is it more likely that Jon Jones had a sudden change of heart and went from being adamantly opposed to fight the undeserving Sonnen to being willing to fight. Or was it Dana White asking him to do it, either as a flat out demand (you don't say "no" to your boss twice) or with some persuasion. I honestly think that Jon Jones would have preferred to fight Hendo, like he mentioned in a UFC 151 post fight interview. Hendo is a legend. And, to Jones like he initially said, Sonnen is still very undeserving.
Wouldn't surprise me if Jones wants the Hendo fight the most, as he does seem like the kind of guy who gets excited about facing legends. I'd rather see Jones fight Hendo than Sonnen, but Henderson put himself in this situation. If he'd been honest about his injury, you gotta think he'd be next in line now. But instead, he crashed an entire PPV and he must have known that would come back to bite him in the ass.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #59
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Bleacher Report put up a decent article, particularly this page:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #60
tito44
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ponce
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

So this is just about the reality tv show, and not what is the best fight.

That's ridiculous for Henderson.
tito44 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013