Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = power?

Does strength have a direct effect on punching power?

Or is it only speed and body weight that matters?

So if 2 guys were the same speed and the same weight but one had huge strength levels and the other one had average strength levels would the stronger guy have a stronger punch or would he have a punch that was exactly the same in power?

Ive seen guys who are fast that hit hard. (explosive)

Ive seen guys that are big and slow that hit hard (heavy handed due to heavy bodyweight)

BUT

Ive seen heavy handed guys that arnt fast and arnt that heavy too so they are not explosive but they are still heavy handed but not heavy in bodyweight, Im guessing they are strong and thats why they can still punch hard despite not having much bodyweight or speed?

What do you guys think/know?

Ive seen guys that are slow and relatively light hit harder
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

I was thinking the power equation dosnt factor in the direct force exerted via strength?

So speed x body weight = power, but strength dosnt fit into that equation but strength is still exerting direct force outside of that equation?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Earnie Shavers was a small relatively light heavyweight, and he wasnt that fast compared to other heavyweights either, yet he had the hardest punch of all time.

How can that be?

I bet he was as strong as hell!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Leverage, technique, intent.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 903
vCash: 675
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Technique*
Is what you should focus on in a boxing gym.
Everything else is meant to compliment it.
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Diomedes
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saigon
Posts: 18
vCash: 3900
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Rocky Marciano wasn't particularly fast, and he was small, yet is famed for his punching power.

I think strength is one of the ingredients. Your body has so many moving parts... the way I think about it is that stronger people are able less elastic at the moment of impact than a weaker person. You've got all these moving parts, extending, rotating, and at the moment of delivery some of the impact could be lost.

I'm trying to think of a good analogy.... unfortunately all I have is this. Imaging a slow moving train - its weight is massive. If you're standing on the tracks, and it's coming towards you, not too fast - it'll stop right before it rolls over you, right at where you're standing, the front plate will be right up against your body.

Now, imagine two scanarios - one, there is a spring on the front of the train. It rolls up to you, the spring hits you, you get pushed back a bit by the spring, but you're not particularly hurt. Some of the force was absorbed into the spring, and while it springing back might send the rest your way, it slows down transfer of force from the train to you.

Two, there's a straight iron pole sticking out the front of the train. Even going slowly, when that thing hits you you'll get knocked back fairly nastily. None of the force will be lost, it'll be transferred to you completely and instantly on contact.

I'm probably using some terms incorrectly, it being such an incredibly long time since I did physics, but I thin you can think of the body in similar ways. If someone's got weak noodle limbs and a soft and feeble core, they might channel their mass correctly into the punch but because they're not "solid" at the point of impact, weaken the punch.
Diomedes is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

retard shit up in here
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

And this question matters because...?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

WOW, I didn't think it was possible to over-complicate AND over-simplify a question at the SAME TIME!!!
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
WOW, I didn't think it was possible to over-complicate AND over-simplify a question at the SAME TIME!!!
Lol I had to over simplify it because there are many other factors that contribute to power but I wanted to keep it specific to strength and whether it made a difference or not.

I dont think it is over complicated, the reality is extremely complex.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Rocky Marciano wasn't particularly fast, and he was small, yet is famed for his punching power.

I think strength is one of the ingredients. Your body has so many moving parts... the way I think about it is that stronger people are able less elastic at the moment of impact than a weaker person. You've got all these moving parts, extending, rotating, and at the moment of delivery some of the impact could be lost.

I'm trying to think of a good analogy.... unfortunately all I have is this. Imaging a slow moving train - its weight is massive. If you're standing on the tracks, and it's coming towards you, not too fast - it'll stop right before it rolls over you, right at where you're standing, the front plate will be right up against your body.

Now, imagine two scanarios - one, there is a spring on the front of the train. It rolls up to you, the spring hits you, you get pushed back a bit by the spring, but you're not particularly hurt. Some of the force was absorbed into the spring, and while it springing back might send the rest your way, it slows down transfer of force from the train to you.

Two, there's a straight iron pole sticking out the front of the train. Even going slowly, when that thing hits you you'll get knocked back fairly nastily. None of the force will be lost, it'll be transferred to you completely and instantly on contact.

I'm probably using some terms incorrectly, it being such an incredibly long time since I did physics, but I thin you can think of the body in similar ways. If someone's got weak noodle limbs and a soft and feeble core, they might channel their mass correctly into the punch but because they're not "solid" at the point of impact, weaken the punch.
Great points, I didnt think about it in that way!

Thanks mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Put simply, yes, strength levels affect power.

So what is your point?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Its purely physics. Strength has nothing to do with it.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Example: A box weighs 2lbs. If you throw it at 30mph its going to generate the same amount of force every single time you throw it. The only way it gains more force is if the weight of the box is increased or the speed increases.

It doesn't matter who throws the box, a strong man or a child, the result will be the same (assuming the weight and speed are the same).

In punching proper technique allows you to leverage more of your body weight into the punch and to generate more velocity by using your hips and legs.


This video explains it a little better:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eplLem4jPs[/ame]
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,713
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Oral Stability won, and Technique.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: 2 guys both same weight and speed, one is strong one isnt, do they hit with = pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Its purely physics. Strength has nothing to do with it.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Example: A box weighs 2lbs. If you throw it at 30mph its going to generate the same amount of force every single time you throw it. The only way it gains more force is if the weight of the box is increased or the speed increases.

It doesn't matter who throws the box, a strong man or a child, the result will be the same (assuming the weight and speed are the same).

In punching proper technique allows you to leverage more of your body weight into the punch and to generate more velocity by using your hips and legs.


This video explains it a little better:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
How do you overcome inertia/accelerate mass? With strength
Talking about physics
Force is essentially the equivalent of strength. Have you never seen a force-velocity curve?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013