Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
george_venables

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with old men lol

i'm 15 and every thursday i spar with someone who is probably around 42-48 he's in incredible shape, i spar 3 lots of 2 minute rounds, and i'm puffing and panting, and he still has about 9-10 more rounds left. He spars properly and he's landed some sweet shots over the past 6 or so weeks. You have to remember older boxers have much more experience, and in this case, are much more ring fit!
george_venables is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Depends what you count as old. My 2nd fight ( a week ago) was against a 41 yr old firefighter. I'm 20 by the way
Roy Jones was an elite level fighter in his prime when he was fighting 40 year old firemen
Squire is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

There are some guys in my gym that are in late 40s and I've sparred with them occasionally and their boxing skills are fantastic, but I do feel bad for hitting the old man because I'm 17. But we would limit our powers depending on their skill level, weight, and such.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_venables View Post
i'm 15 and every thursday i spar with someone who is probably around 42-48 he's in incredible shape, i spar 3 lots of 2 minute rounds, and i'm puffing and panting, and he still has about 9-10 more rounds left. He spars properly and he's landed some sweet shots over the past 6 or so weeks. You have to remember older boxers have much more experience, and in this case, are much more ring fit!
"Ring fit". I guess that's a good way to describe someone who shouldn't have better cardio than you, but can somehow beat your ass for 5 or 6 rounds.

My kickboxing coach was 47. He seemed to go on forever, was fast and was so hard to hit. Rib injuries were one of the main reasons I stopped kickboxing to focus on boxing.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #20
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
"Ring fit". I guess that's a good way to describe someone who shouldn't have better cardio than you, but can somehow beat your ass for 5 or 6 rounds.

My kickboxing coach was 47. He seemed to go on forever, was fast and was so hard to hit. Rib injuries were one of the main reasons I stopped kickboxing to focus on boxing.

It's because these old guys have to be efficient with their movement. Boxers don't have to be all that fit really, just look at James Toney.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
It's because these old guys have to be efficient with their movement. Boxers don't have to be all that fit really, just look at James Toney.
Yeah, that's exactly why he's one of my favourite boxers to watch. His efficiency and minimalistic movement is like watching a matador dance around a bull.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I was in Colorado a little while back, some big old guy, over 60, but HUGE, was sparring EVERYBODY.

Ugly, but effective south paw style. This dude was a tank, and he fought with all the dirty tricks from the old days.

It was a riot watching him wear out and manhandle all the ****y young fighters.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing