Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Wisdom
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default How active on average a year are British Muay Thai fighters

For those that know the Muay Thai scene in the UK well, how many fights on average per month does a Muay Thai fighter engage in.

also is there a website that show fighters record like a boxrec
Wisdom is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
m.bison
Journeyman

Default Re: How active on average a year are British Muay Thai fighters

INTERCLUBS: Anything up to 1 a month where you might fight several people of differing skills
FIGHTS: varies, but about three a year for a "pro". But I don't even know if the likes of Liam Harrison have a day job to work around, practically everyone else does.
m.bison is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Wisdom
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.bison View Post
INTERCLUBS: Anything up to 1 a month where you might fight several people of differing skills
FIGHTS: varies, but about three a year for a "pro". But I don't even know if the likes of Liam Harrison have a day job to work around, practically everyone else does.
(sorry for the late reply)

really only 3 a year I thought Muay Thai fighters were extremely active often fighting weekly ?
Wisdom is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
(sorry for the late reply)

really only 3 a year I thought Muay Thai fighters were extremely active often fighting weekly ?
It really depends on where you choose to base yourself and how serious you are about the sport.

I’m out of touch with what goes on in the UK these days but 3 to 4 fights a year for a solely UK based fighter sounds about right. You have to remember that in the UK, Holland, France the US etc. most people that train MT don’t fight, depending on the gym maybe 25% have a go in the ring….maybe. Out of that 25% it’s only a handful that totally devote themselves entirely to MT cos of a bunch of reasons maybe work, family, age, lack of skill, who knows what. You may get more opportunity for regular fights in Holland and France than the UK, but it’ll still be along similar lines. There aren’t enough fighters in any of these countries to put on reagular shows stacked with evenly matched fighters from all the weight divisions, cos the fighters they just aren’t there, they don’t exists.

That’s another reason a lot of guys base themselves in Thailand, not just for the training, but the never ending opportunities to fight, especially if you weigh below 147. Hundreds of regular shows all year round featuring around 65,000 pros who all probably fight no less than 9 to 10 times a year. Look at P4P MT king Saenchai; he seems to fight every three weeks... (Can you imagine boxing’s P4P king Floyd Mayweather doing that!) How do you think Buakaw ends up with over 400 fights, plenty of opportunity. A lot of Brits and other Westerners some famous some not so famous base themselves in Thailand and can fight at least probably every three weeks if their bodies can hold up to it. We seem to take longer to heal up in the heat than the Thais do, who not withstanding injury can and will fight anyone at the drop of a hat as often as thier gym requires them to.

Last edited by boranbkk; 10-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
TERRYTIBBS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Id say theres more oppurtunity to fight then three times a year the mauy tahi fighters i know have had 3 fights this year already
TERRYTIBBS is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum