Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


View Poll Results: ??
Cormier 14 35.00%
Dos Santos 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Cormier is quality but can he take a Cigano shot?
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I would love to see Cormier against Jones. I want to see Jones fight off his back, and Cormier may be the only fighter capable of putting him there.
The same applies to Junior too, would love to see that fight for the same reasons you would the Jones match
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
The same applies to Junior too, would love to see that fight for the same reasons you would the Jones match
I think Cormier would put Dos Santos on his back. I would probably pick Cormier by decision in a 3 round fight.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

The biggest question is how good is Cormier at taking a punch becouse JDS is gonna land something
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

EXCELLENT MATCH UP, no doubt, Haggis said it well stating it could go many different ways. Here is the thing that hit me, Dan no doubt has superiour wrestling, however, he does not have the most explosive speed to close space. Yes he has great speed and strength, however, even a guy like Brock had that speed before he got gun shy that i dont think Dan has. No i dont think Brock would of beat JDS, i think he was a experiment that did the job until his lack of experience and skills were found out. My point is i dont see Dan dumping JDS on his BACK with ease. I would be shocked if Dan didnt put him down once or twice, i just dont see Dan having a easy ride putting JDS down simply because of his awesome wrestling base time and time again. JDS is agile, fleet footed and i dont think Dan is going to go in there thinking that he needs to bum rush JDS time and again as the risk to burn himself out would be to great. Witch to me means they will for sure be TRADING a good many shots. Now Dan's shots are so good he could take JDS out for all i know, however, JDS hammering away at Dan's face over time and pulverizing it even little by little into a victory is very probable as well. Tough pick.
latineg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

At the moment this question is easy. Dos Santos wins.

He destroys him standing.

He has the best TDD and get back up, to combat Cormiers best Takedows.

Cormier has weak GnP at this point in time, so even though I dont know JDS ground game he is training under the Noguera brothers, so I presume he would have the advantage here also.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

I really like, for the most part, that the HW division is still choc-a-bloc full of interesting striker v grappler match ups, this being at the top of the list
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
At the moment this question is easy. Dos Santos wins.

He destroys him standing.

He has the best TDD and get back up, to combat Cormiers best Takedows.

Cormier has weak GnP at this point in time, so even though I dont know JDS ground game he is training under the Noguera brothers, so I presume he would have the advantage here also.
Agree with every point you make, just not as intensely as you make them. Regardless you could be dead bang right about everything including on the ground where he is no slouch. Yes i think he has at least one defeat by submission, however, it was early in his career and those mistakes built upon can really improve how seriously one takes their ground game after that.
latineg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post
EXCELLENT MATCH UP, no doubt, Haggis said it well stating it could go many different ways.
I feel that many fights at the top level are like this. Especially in the heavier divisions, where one strike can significantly alter the course of a fight even if it doesn't lead directly to a stoppage.

If Cigano lands a sweet hook on the button in the first round and Cormier eats it and doesn't get staggered/stopped right there, it can still have a massive effect on him. It can affect his balance and reflexes. It can make him slightly hesitant to pull the trigger or close distance. It can make him disengage from future takedown attempts when Junior punches back at him, instead of powering through anyway.

If Cigano never lands that initial hook and Cormier doesn't feel the power early on, then Cormier may well be a lot more confident and aggressive, may commit more to his attacks, and may then be a lot more successful.

This is something that I think many fans don't really acknowlege. Many fights, you can run them 5 times and not only get different outcomes, but entirely different paths to the different outcomes.

An obvious example is JDS-Cain. Junior landed that punch, scrambled his balance and then immediately laid him out. First round KO in a walkover. Does that mean that Cain was always outclassed and was never going to be competitive? Of course not. All we know is that Cain got tooled - on THAT night. That's not taking anything away from Cigano's win, but it's foolish to assume that Junior can dismantle Cain with ease any time they fight.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
Ireland
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Top ten heavies in MMA are-


1. Junior Dos Santos UFC champ
2. A. Overeem Lineal champ
3. C. Velaquez
4. D. Cormier
5. F. Werdum
6. J. Barnett
7. F. Mir
8. A. Silva
9. S. Struve
10. Nogueira
Ireland is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I feel that many fights at the top level are like this. Especially in the heavier divisions, where one strike can significantly alter the course of a fight even if it doesn't lead directly to a stoppage.

If Cigano lands a sweet hook on the button in the first round and Cormier eats it and doesn't get staggered/stopped right there, it can still have a massive effect on him. It can affect his balance and reflexes. It can make him slightly hesitant to pull the trigger or close distance. It can make him disengage from future takedown attempts when Junior punches back at him, instead of powering through anyway.

If Cigano never lands that initial hook and Cormier doesn't feel the power early on, then Cormier may well be a lot more confident and aggressive, may commit more to his attacks, and may then be a lot more successful.

This is something that I think many fans don't really acknowlege. Many fights, you can run them 5 times and not only get different outcomes, but entirely different paths to the different outcomes.

An obvious example is JDS-Cain. Junior landed that punch, scrambled his balance and then immediately laid him out. First round KO in a walkover. Does that mean that Cain was always outclassed and was never going to be competitive? Of course not. All we know is that Cain got tooled - on THAT night. That's not taking anything away from Cigano's win, but it's foolish to assume that Junior can dismantle Cain with ease any time they fight.

Yep Haggis, when i used to box in the am's and moved up in class a bit, lol, well i remember getting tagged early by a dude that could really throw compared to my level and skill. The thing is , nobody KNEW that i got tagged so badly EXCEPT me. The punch didnt land fully flush but even not landing fullly flush the first thing that went through my mind is, "DO NOT LET THIS GUY LAND FLUSH" and thus i CHANGED my entire MIND SET from those first few punches. This is the HUGE "X" factor with a guy like JDS's power and hand speed. His takedown defense ends up becoming as great as it is because whoever is trying to take him down becomes aware they will most likely have to eat one or more good shots before they can even attempt to ground him. If those shots are of NO CONCERN then attempting to ground him by closing space becomes no concern, if not then whole new ball game. And yes on the different match ups having the REALITY to turn out very very differently depending upon the NITE in question and a infinite amount of other factors all the way down to when a guy blinks and chooses to take a few deep breaths at the wrong time or does so at the right time. I remember Fedor's fight with Arlovski, this was when Fedor was still the king so to speak if i recall, Arlovski was in my opinion very much competitive with Fedor from the get go of that short fight. I thought he was getting the better of Fedor for sure. Arlovski hammers Fedor with a shot and Fedor goes back into the ropes looking submissive and off balance only to use that RUSE to bounce back off the ropes and lay Arlovski right out. Yep he didnt have the best chin, lol, my point is that a entire fight can turn on one good clean shot and if Fedor misses that punch Arlovski could have ended up taking him out in the next minute for all we really know.
latineg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cigano vs Cormier

It's a great fight. What makes it so interesting to me is that I've never seen either man in genuine trouble. Both seem to take charge early in fights then settle into an effective rhythm.

I'm looking forward the Velasquez rematch for the same reason, I don't see Cain being stopped early this time, so JDS should be pushed a lot harder.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013