Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071
Default Ken Sutcliffe speaks on Mundine

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I have long-admired Anthony Mundine as an incredible athlete, a brilliant showman and a passionate and generous supporter of his community. He has shown again in recent days that he can get himself into trouble when it comes to articulating his thoughts on a range of subjects he feels strongly about. He clearly went too far when questioning Daniel Geale's heritage and by dragging Geale's wife and children into the conversation, as any reasonable person would agree. To Mundine's credit he manned up and offered an unreserved and completely genuine apology to Geale's face on the "Wide World of Sports" program.
Mundine also wanted to voice his frustration with several big picture issues, but I had to interrupt him and ask that he focus on his apology to Geale and the upcoming fight. Everyone is well aware of his concerns and there was a real danger that the true purpose of his appearance would be lost among another wandering soapbox tirade. What we were left with was a very sincere, heart-felt apology, as he realised he had hurt not only Geale, but Geale's family and a lot of members of his own community.
What I find most frustrating about Mundine is that all the good work he does behind the scenes is completely overshadowed by these outbursts. People who really know "The Man" know just how much effort he puts into supporting his community. He is an extremely generous person who believes firmly in the need to improve things for his people and he puts his money where his mouth is. He is a doer and he is a great role model for children, showing that hard work and clean living are the keys to success.
Everyone knows that Mundine is a showman who has made a healthy career out of promoting his own fights through some outrageous statements. You only have to ask Geale and he will tell you that this fight will only be huge because of Mundine’s ability to promote it. Geale is a terrific fighter as he has proven on the world stage, but he realises that he would struggle to generate the interest that Mundine can generate. The big pay day they will both enjoy will come from Mundine's involvement and the fervour he creates among fans, who either love him or want to see his head knocked off.
You only have to look back at his career to see just what a freakish sporting talent he is. I've followed him since he was a teenager coming through the rugby league ranks. He could do things on a football field that others simply couldn't and he probably should have played for his country. He was good enough at basketball to be approached by NBL scouts, and he was a brilliant cricketer as well. He is just a truly gifted athlete who has in many ways opened the door for people like Sonny Bill Williams to try their hand at several sports, to defy those who tell them they should focus their careers on a single sport.
At the end of the day, this will be the biggest fight in Australia since the Mundine v Danny Green fight. It will be a sell-out and will be watched in pubs and clubs around the country and across the world. A lot of people will be hoping to see Mundine lose, but there are also a lot of people who know the real Mundine, know how generous he is and know that he really is a proud leader for his community. He might stumble occasionally in trying to articulate himself, but his heart really is in the right place.
20a87 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Sutcliffe speaks on Mundine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20a87 View Post

I have long-admired Anthony Mundine as an incredible athlete, a brilliant showman and a passionate and generous supporter of his community. He has shown again in recent days that he can get himself into trouble when it comes to articulating his thoughts on a range of subjects he feels strongly about. He clearly went too far when questioning Daniel Geale's heritage and by dragging Geale's wife and children into the conversation, as any reasonable person would agree. To Mundine's credit he manned up and offered an unreserved and completely genuine apology to Geale's face on the "Wide World of Sports" program.
Mundine also wanted to voice his frustration with several big picture issues, but I had to interrupt him and ask that he focus on his apology to Geale and the upcoming fight. Everyone is well aware of his concerns and there was a real danger that the true purpose of his appearance would be lost among another wandering soapbox tirade. What we were left with was a very sincere, heart-felt apology, as he realised he had hurt not only Geale, but Geale's family and a lot of members of his own community.
What I find most frustrating about Mundine is that all the good work he does behind the scenes is completely overshadowed by these outbursts. People who really know "The Man" know just how much effort he puts into supporting his community. He is an extremely generous person who believes firmly in the need to improve things for his people and he puts his money where his mouth is. He is a doer and he is a great role model for children, showing that hard work and clean living are the keys to success.
Everyone knows that Mundine is a showman who has made a healthy career out of promoting his own fights through some outrageous statements. You only have to ask Geale and he will tell you that this fight will only be huge because of Mundine’s ability to promote it. Geale is a terrific fighter as he has proven on the world stage, but he realises that he would struggle to generate the interest that Mundine can generate. The big pay day they will both enjoy will come from Mundine's involvement and the fervour he creates among fans, who either love him or want to see his head knocked off.
You only have to look back at his career to see just what a freakish sporting talent he is. I've followed him since he was a teenager coming through the rugby league ranks. He could do things on a football field that others simply couldn't and he probably should have played for his country. He was good enough at basketball to be approached by NBL scouts, and he was a brilliant cricketer as well. He is just a truly gifted athlete who has in many ways opened the door for people like Sonny Bill Williams to try their hand at several sports, to defy those who tell them they should focus their careers on a single sport.
At the end of the day, this will be the biggest fight in Australia since the Mundine v Danny Green fight. It will be a sell-out and will be watched in pubs and clubs around the country and across the world. A lot of people will be hoping to see Mundine lose, but there are also a lot of people who know the real Mundine, know how generous he is and know that he really is a proud leader for his community. He might stumble occasionally in trying to articulate himself, but his heart really is in the right place.
Thanks 20a87 for the latest on The Man. Your commitment to keeping us in the loop whenever Anthony breaks wind is impressive to say the least. It warms my heart knowing that your Mundine updates give your otherwise pointless existence some direction and purpose. Going forward I hope The Pioneer can assist you with your host of other problems that need addressing, eg: getting you laid, helping you come out of the closet, sorting out those **** warts, finding you your first job, paying for that gender reassignment procedure etc, etc, etc...
AustraHungarian is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraHungarian View Post
Thanks 20a87 for the latest on The Man. Your commitment to keeping us in the loop whenever Anthony breaks wind is impressive to say the least. It warms my heart knowing that your Mundine updates give your otherwise pointless existence some direction and purpose. Going forward I hope The Pioneer can assist you with your host of other problems that need addressing, eg: getting you laid, helping you come out of the closet, sorting out those **** warts, finding you your first job, paying for that gender reassignment procedure etc, etc, etc...
Brah, that is a lot of effort to have wasted on such shit insults.

Sup on your haterade some more and then come back and have another crack you weak chump.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20a87 View Post
Brah, that is a lot of effort to have wasted on such shit insults.

Sup on your haterade some more and then come back and have another crack you weak chump.
Do not understand where you are coming from 20a87. I am really happy that your douche of a life is finding meaning and purpose.

On an unrelated note, you my want to learn to spell hatred. It is a fairly simple word therefore understandable you would struggle with it. No need to thank me for the spelling lesson, I am always keen to help those with special needs.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Quote:
Your commitment to keeping us in the loop whenever Anthony breaks wind is impressive to say the least.

Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Do not understand where you are coming from 20a87. I am really happy that your douche of a life is finding meaning and purpose.

On an unrelated note, you my want to learn to spell hatred. It is a fairly simple word therefore understandable you would struggle with it. No need to thank me for the spelling lesson, I am always keen to help those with special needs.
Or perhaps if you're not interested in what he has to post then you could just not read it or let it effect you..... No need to thank for me the common sense lesson, I too am also always keen to help those with special needs...
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
Or perhaps if you're not interested in what he has to post then you could just not read it or let it effect you..... No need to thank for me the common sense lesson, I too am also always keen to help those with special needs...
If this is the case whipsy, you may want to spend a little time looking after yourself. Plenty to focus on there buddy!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Tuilagi

eh kurve keep it down lol
Tuilagi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If this is the case whipsy, you may want to spend a little time looking after yourself. Plenty to focus on there buddy!
Ya can't help others if you're not willing to help yourself mate
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

alot of people like myself arnt "haters" coz what comes out of mundines mouth we all know that crap is promo talk, we have turned on mundine coz he achieved alot in boxing had high potential to make it big but never made a real go of it, yeah we know he fought some name fighters and won titles but he has never really stepped up to the plate when the challange has been presented to him..and i do respect all the charity work he does and all the credit he does not recieve. but instead of always wanting to be the bad guy , mundine could of been the good guy of aussie boxing u can achieve more with that image ...remember lionel rose and all the fans he had to greet him ?

Last edited by aussie opinion; 10-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie opinion View Post
alot of people like myself arnt "haters" coz what comes out of mundines mouth we all know that crap is promo talk, we have turned on mundine coz he achieved alot in boxing had high potential to make it big but never made a real go of it, yeah we know he fought some name fighters and won titles but he has never really stepped up to the plate when the challange has been presented to him..and i do respect all the charity work he does and all the credit he does not recieve. but instead of always wanting to be the bad guy , mundine could of been the good guy of aussie boxing u can achieve more with that image ...remember lionel rose and all the fans he had to great him ?
Fair enough but you have to realise that being a nice guy is bad for your bankroll. Ask Geale about that.
donkeyking is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
Ya can't help others if you're not willing to help yourself mate
My point exactly whipsy!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyking View Post
Fair enough but you have to realise that being a nice guy is bad for your bankroll. Ask Geale about that.

yeah but geale has had to start from the bottom, mundine came from league he has brought with him a huge following world title shot after 9 fights...he was always going to be a success in this country
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
percy davo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

That is good for Ken to acknowledge Chocs work and commitment in community services but the fact of the matter is he is continually having to appoligise for his verbal miscalculations. I real man would not have to keep appoligising as a real man would keep what is thought of to him self when in the spotlight. Bottom line is he needs to shut up and be the man he is away from the spot light and talk positive not negative.
percy davo is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie opinion View Post
alot of people like myself arnt "haters" coz what comes out of mundines mouth we all know that crap is promo talk, we have turned on mundine coz he achieved alot in boxing had high potential to make it big but never made a real go of it, yeah we know he fought some name fighters and won titles but he has never really stepped up to the plate when the challange has been presented to him..and i do respect all the charity work he does and all the credit he does not recieve. but instead of always wanting to be the bad guy , mundine could of been the good guy of aussie boxing u can achieve more with that image ...remember lionel rose and all the fans he had to greet him ?
Well said. totally agree!
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum