Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I admire your consistency.
Thank you, although some think that quality is me being stubborn and close minded.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
you guys are asking who would defeat Duran on that night as though the Leonard of June 1980 was the Leonard who fought Hearns on Sept 16, 1981. Yet my whole points have been Ray was a better fighter when he learned a lesson from Duran in June of 1980. Sort of like having a thread. How would Julian Jackson who knocked out Terry Norris do if he fought the Mike McCallum who stopped him in 1986.
I think Tyson loses To Douglas in Tokyo. I think Leonard loses to Duran in Montreal. Mike knocks out Jackson.

I don't Leonard was any better after that night than he was during it.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I think Tyson loses To Douglas in Tokyo. I think Leonard loses to Duran in Montreal. Mike knocks out Jackson.

I don't Leonard was any better after that night than he was during it.
well I think Tyson beats Douglas in 2. Leonard outboxed Duran in Montreal by decision and Mike stops Jackson late.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
well I think Tyson beats Douglas in 2. Leonard outboxed Duran in Montreal by decision and Mike stops Jackson late.
I disagree. Douglas really kicked Tyson's arse that night the fight wasn't even close. Tyson has a punchers chance, if he lands with enough time to finish, he will, unfortunately that night, he didn't.

Duran beat a prime Leonard in the shape of his life, it isn't really in question, I'm staggered you think Leonard would beat him when he actually didn't.

Jackson was made to order for a sturdy, hard hitting, master boxer like Mike.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Thank you, although some think that quality is me being close minded due to my obvious Autism.
Yer ****in right again MAG
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
That hungry man killer who'd just dominated the LW division and HOF opposition at WW. The one who would rip the title from Leonard in a fight Sugar said felt like "death".

How many from the annals of WW history would have denied Roberto Duran that night? How many would you be comfortable in favouring over Duran that night?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Duran would've beaten anybody between 140 to 154 pounds back in June 1980..... He was red hot in Montreal.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
I disagree. Douglas really kicked Tyson's arse that night the fight wasn't even close. Tyson has a punchers chance, if he lands with enough time to finish, he will, unfortunately that night, he didn't.

Duran beat a prime Leonard in the shape of his life, it isn't really in question, I'm staggered you think Leonard would beat him when he actually didn't.

Tyson on that night still managed to land and drop Douglas.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

As long as you're not FLOORED, Luf!!
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #24
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Tyson on that night still managed to land and drop Douglas.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161

Unfair. We've footage of the much eulogized optimum version of Duran, whereas the optimum versions of many of his suggested vanquishers are lost to history.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:

He's basically saying that the rematch version of Leonard was better suited to beat Duran. The problem with this is that SRL only fought like this in the rematch because he LOST THE FIRST TIME. Leonard's natural fighting style, the one that should be used in hypothetical matchups like these, was the one he exhibited in the first fight not the second one.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

And I'm Floored that you're remotely staggered by his assertion. I love how you carry on as if to of never been here with that poster 1,965 times already.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I don't see how Kid is favored to beat Duran... Can somebody explain how he could be favored? Sure, he's a great fighter no doubt, I'm just curious as to what would make him favored. Hearns I disagree with as well. I believe Hearns got lucky that night... Lucky, not that I don't think he could do that again. I think if they fought 10 times... Hearns would get his wins in.. Problem is.. Hearns too often got in a slugfest... and that is EXACTLY what he did against Duran and that would cost him. He didn't try and work off the jab and bomb right hands... He stood toe to toe with a past his prime duran. A prime duran.. that would be a terrible mistake to do. Heans was there to be hit, and I have no doubt, a montreal duran gets that job done more times than not.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

I love the Whitaker shout, mag.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
I don't see how Kid is favored to beat Duran... Can somebody explain how he could be favored? Sure, he's a great fighter no doubt, I'm just curious as to what would make him favored. Hearns I disagree with as well. I believe Hearns got lucky that night... Lucky, not that I don't think he could do that again. I think if they fought 10 times... Hearns would get his wins in.. Problem is.. Hearns too often got in a slugfest... and that is EXACTLY what he did against Duran and that would cost him. He didn't try and work off the jab and bomb right hands... He stood toe to toe with a past his prime duran. A prime duran.. that would be a terrible mistake to do. Heans was there to be hit, and I have no doubt, a montreal duran gets that job done more times than not.

I disagree with your characterization of the fight. Hearnís maintained a distance where he could hit Duran but Duran could only reach him by lunging. Hearns hurt him at that distance; a feat heís always going to be capable of given his physical characteristics, and only really bum rushed him when he was in desperate trouble.

As great as he was, the dynamics are always going to be all wrong for Duran; no amount of willfully blind romanticism can get beyond that.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum