Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Peak Tyson would have my vote to take Bowe in a close decision, but the one who had abandoned some of his skill and workrate by 1991, probably doesn't have enough to keep Bowe on his toes.. Riddick by referee stoppage sometime late, after a crowd pleasing brawl.
Tend to agree with this. Bowe was an excellent fighter albeit for a short period of time. Bowe was really good around this time and Tyson had some serious defensive lapses. I could see Bowe nailing Tyson with an uppercut similar to what Douglas hit him with but I think this would be an excellent fight. Tyson at his peak takes Bowe apart, but then again I think Tyson at his best is a handful for any fighter in history. I would find it hard to bet against him.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe was scared sh!tless of Lewis, imagine the number Tyson would to do him in terms of intimidation

He also doesn't throw anything as powerful as Razor Ruddock's "smash" punch and Tyson took several of those without any trouble

Tyson wouldn't be able to miss hitting Bowe and there's no way Bowe can trade with him at Mikes' comfort range ... his tendency to get into exchanges would get him into serious trouble with the most powerful and best finishing fighter in boxing ... Mike didn't completely abandon throwing combinations at this point either ...
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

Tyson and Lewis would always beat Bowe I think, even at his peak he was absurdly easy to hit. Hell if Holyfield had a truly concussive punch I think he might've had Bowe out of there too.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Bowe was a big guy. With Bowe it is hard to figure his fights. He really didn't fight the top guys much. I would say Tyson stops Bowe in 5 or 6 rounds yet I wouldn't be surprised if Bowe could be too big and stop Tyson with a left hook in 3.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Tyson and Lewis would always beat Bowe I think, even at his peak he was absurdly easy to hit. Hell if Holyfield had a truly concussive punch I think he might've had Bowe out of there too.
Yep. No-one is beating Tyson without some very good defensive skills or the ability to KO him first. Bowe had neither the power nor the defensive skills either to outslug Tyson or outbox him.

Bowe would get in some nasty licks and probably wobble Tyson a few times, because his offensive skill was very good save the lack of a good straight right, but Bowe take too much punishment. Since this is the early 1990s Tyson, Bowe could have quite a few good moments before this happens.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #21
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post

He also doesn't throw anything as powerful as Razor Ruddock's "smash" punch and Tyson took several of those without any trouble
#1 Ruddock sucked.
#2 Bowe used both hands and put his shots together in combination. Tyson was able to take one big punch very well but when he was getting peppered consistantly we know his offense went south.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Bowe had neither the power nor the defensive skills either to outslug Tyson or outbox him.
Bowe had the power. He was able to drop and stop Evander Holyfield who had a helluva chin that Tyson couldnt dent.

I do agree with you about Bowe`s defense being vunerable. He was hittable and thats why Tyson had a chance for the first 4 or 5 rounds.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe's power is overrated. Ruddock was very good until the Tyson fights which really finished him off as a top level boxer.

Bowe is a decent combination puncher though, I will give you that.

Holyfield was able to brawl and exchange with Bowe but he never tried that with Tyson. Mike did send him backwards in the opening seconds of the their first fight. Holyfield was also able to knock Bowe down and didn't have near the power that Mike had ... Tyson would maul him.
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #24
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Bowe had the power. He was able to drop and stop Evander Holyfield who had a helluva chin that Tyson couldnt dent.

I do agree with you about Bowe`s defense being vunerable. He was hittable and thats why Tyson had a chance for the first 4 or 5 rounds.
Bowe had power, but less than Lewis and Lewis beat the shit out of an old Tyson for 7 rounds straight before Tyson was beaten into submission. He was a big hitter, but not a top 5 puncher during his time. Bowe was about hitting people with a lot of good combinations; it took a lot of punches before he was able to hurt Holyfield.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Bowe is a monster who can fight at pretty much any range effectively, his one flaw is he is willing to take a shot to land a shot. his saving grace is usually his chin but I don't think that's a question here; anyone allowing Tyson to punch will get knocked out.

Tyson by 4th round ko.
You saved me from typing it up

Douglas and Holyfield never really gave Tyson a chance to settle into his rhythm, Bowe on the other hand likes to trade a bit more which suits Tyson, it would give Tyson more time to plant his feet and throw some bombs
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
But Bowe was still throwing combinations around that period, whereas Tyson was throwing 1-2 predictaable hayemakers. Holyfield also fought a slightly different fight with Tyson than he did with Bowe
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

What those guys did to beat Tyson was the old pro trick of just taking small % things round after round. Not flashy big things but the small % low risk type things. The next thing you know it's the 7th round and it's a whole different version of Tyson they were facing.

Bowe didn't do that. He went in and fought the same way. He did the same things round after round and it was up to the opponent to see if they were durable enough to handle it. If Riddick would've been satisfied with small % gains that add up, I'd like his chances better against this opponent. A lot better and that gets him away from trading all the time. But he didn't fight that way and I never thought of him as a good thinker in the ring.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
What those guys did to beat Tyson was the old pro trick of just taking small % things round after round. Not flashy big things but the small % low risk type things. The next thing you know it's the 7th round and it's a whole different version of Tyson they were facing.

Bowe didn't do that. He went in and fought the same way. He did the same things round after round and it was up to the opponent to see if they were durable enough to handle it. If Riddick would've been satisfied with small % gains that add up, I'd like his chances better against this opponent. A lot better and that gets him away from trading all the time. But he didn't fight that way and I never thought of him as a good thinker in the ring.
More or less what i stated above
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
nostir a
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Bowe had power, but less than Lewis and Lewis beat the shit out of an old Tyson for 7 rounds straight before Tyson was beaten into submission. He was a big hitter, but not a top 5 puncher during his time. Bowe was about hitting people with a lot of good combinations; it took a lot of punches before he was able to hurt Holyfield.
bowe did hit harder than lewis, holyfield said in a top 10 interview that bowe hit hardest, whille lennox was the smartest
nostir a is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Bowe couldn't throw a proper right to save his life. Tyson by brutal mid-rounds KO after hurting Bowe almost every round.
turbotime is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum