boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #61
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just watched PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 for the first time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
when you say resume, I assume you mean if he will win? because it's a fact Nog has the best "resume" of people who he has fought but winning of course is a different thing all together.

But If Dos should beat Cainx2, Reem, and Cormier I don't think anyone can argue that it would be the best HW resume of all time.
The resume line is a call back to a long running joke that if you are not in on, it may take some time to get.

Werdum has been doing a lot for JDS' resume. If Werdum earns another shot, then loses to JDS, it will be another big accomplishment. Cain just demolished Silva. Another big win would make Cain more of a legacy builder, but that is a different discussion. Cormier should be in the UFC soon, and he could become a very big deal.

Beating the aforementioned fighters may make Dos Santos the sport's best ever at heavyweight, but he still needs a little help from those opponents. Those opponents need to keep beating everyone outside of themselves to prove their worth. Nogueira beat everyone outside of Fedor in his prime. Cro Cop beat Barnett 3 times.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #62
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
when you say resume, I assume you mean if he will win? because it's a fact Nog has the best "resume" of people who he has fought but winning of course is a different thing all together.

But If Dos should beat Cainx2, Reem, and Cormier I don't think anyone can argue that it would be the best HW resume of all time.
Im the guy who would say different. when comparing quality of opponents would you say that:

2x cain = 2x prime big Nog?

Reem = prime cro-cop?

Cormier = Randelman or Coleman?

No.

even if we look at Jds other wins mir, carwin, Nelson, werdum, gonzaga are they equal to Arlovski, Sylvia, Hunt, Shilt, Herring, Arona?

nope.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #63
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I see you are under scurla's wing...maybe you can make a post 1 day and not give a
What's the matter **** not enough UFC zombies in this thread to agree with you?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #64
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Just watched PRIDE 33 for the first time......

Wanted to watch some prime Hendo and Wanderlei, so I watched PRIDE 33. Thoughts on the card:

Hendo-Wanderlei was a really good fight. Back and forth action and Hendo was the man. He really took it to Wanderlei. My only criticism was that Wandy was very inactive on the ground, and he looked strangely gunshy at time. Aside from that, the fight lived up to the expectations I had of the two men.

Shogun-Overeem was my favourite fight on the card. Enjoyed that one a lot. at skinny Overeem. And Jones beats any version of Shogun more times than not in my view.

Diaz-Gomi was very exciting, but I wasn't impressed with Gomi at all. TERRIBLE conditioning - he was exhausted after 4 minutes. Showed a lot of heart and fighting spirit, but he looked soft and out of shape. Did he not train properly, did he come off roids to fight in the US, what was the story? Based on his reputation, I expected a lot more from him. And Diaz was fantastic when he grabbed the sub with a face full of ugly cuts.

Wasn't impressed with the undercard tbh. Meh, it's not like it ruined the event.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #65
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

And a cage is much better for MMA than a ring is. I ****ing hate these restarts while the clock is ticking. It really disrupts the flow of the fight to have the fighters move themselves to the centre of the ring and reposition purely because they're too close to the ropes and they're getting tangled in them. Also it seems to make fighters hesitant to power through takedowns, because the ropes are dangerous when two men go flying into them off-balance. Plus I find it really weird to have the crowd pulling the ropes back and reaching out to touch the fighter's legs and feet while they're working on the ground.

I quite liked the "After the Fights" video. Was funny hearing Trigg complaining that he was too old to do half of this **** anymore.

All in all, I enjoyed watching this card. Any recommendations for the next PRIDE card for me to watch? I've seen the Fedor-Nog-Cro Cop fights, but as individual fights, not in the context of a full card. Aside from this one, Final Conflict 2005 is the only full card I've watched. Recommendations for the next one?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #66
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wanderlei was not in his prime in the second Hendo fight.

Gomi was a lazy ******* that didn't feel the need to train or give it his all when his title wasn't on the line, he was there to be taken and Diaz survived the early onslaught to do it.

"Wasn't impressed with the undercard" huh?, other than Misaki-Trigg the fights all ended in finishes and were all atleast decent. Plus one of the biggest upsets in MMA when an unknown Judoka knocked out a top 5, iron chinned Lil Nog in less than a minute.

Watch Pride Bushido 8, if you can find a fault with that event I think you should reconsider being an MMA fan.
Shogun Assassin is online now  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #67
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

My bad, meant Pride Bushido 9, always get em mixed up. Final Conflict 2003 is another must watch.
Shogun Assassin is online now  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #68
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Wanderlei prime in the Hendo fight?

Wanderlei prime in the Saku fights. ****ing hell that Open weight tourney took his damned soul. ****ing Cro Cop !!
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #69
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Wanderlei prime in the Hendo fight?

Wanderlei prime in the Saku fights. ****ing hell that Open weight tourney took his damned soul. ****ing Cro Cop !!
You are right. He wasn't that old, but he was definitely on the slide. For some reason I had PRIDE 33 tabbed as being a three or four years earlier than it actually was. Perhaps because Nick Diaz was very young, and I associate him with being a lot older than he actually is.

But yeah, Wandy wasn't prime. Not shot, but not peak either. And he had no business fighting Cro Cop in an open weight tournament. Even though he did well, he's just too small for such a skilled opponent with a striking pedigree like that.

Hendo pretty much had a 15 year prime though.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #70
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
Gomi was a lazy ******* that didn't feel the need to train or give it his all when his title wasn't on the line, he was there to be taken and Diaz survived the early onslaught to do it.
I don't understand all this non-title fight bull****. A quick peek at wiki () says that Gomi fought five times during this period, and four of them weren't for the title.

Quote:
other than Misaki-Trigg the fights all ended in finishes and were all atleast decent. Plus one of the biggest upsets in MMA when an unknown Judoka knocked out a top 5, iron chinned Lil Nog in less than a minute.
Yeah the fights were decent, but I mainly know PRIDE through the hype on here. So I expect a lot, because the org gets talked up a lot. And it was a good card, don't get me wrong. It just didn't blow me away. It was just a good card, you know? No more and no less.

And Little Nog, well I haven't seen most of his best fights. I've seen him lose more than I've seen him win. I haven't seen his most famous wins. But I've seen him get soundly outfought over 3 rounds by some blonde nobody in the UFC, only to be awarded one of the worst decisions ever. So watching him get laid out by Sokojou was surprising but not THAT shocking to me, because I never perceived him as being anywhere near as good as his brother.

And I really don't like the ring. I think that's a ridiculous arena for a mixed martial arts match. The frequent resets and people slapping at the fighters really detract from the fights, IMO.

Quote:
Watch Pride Bushido 9, if you can find a fault with that event I think you should reconsider being an MMA fan.
Will watch it.

Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 10-24-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #71
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

On the 33 card...Sakurai/Danzig was also fun.

What isn't there to love about watching Vegan boy get thrown and smacked around for awhile?

And Busido 9 is great.

Gomi vs Kawajiri is insane.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #72
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Pride 33 was a great card. As said before, the only lull was the Trigg fight. You can't really ask for more.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #73
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

And Little Nog, well I haven't seen most of his best fights. I've seen him lose more than I've seen him win. I haven't seen his most famous wins. But I've seen him get soundly outfought over 3 rounds by some blonde nobody in the UFC, only to be awarded one of the worst decisions ever. So watching him get laid out by Sokojou was surprising but not THAT shocking to me, because I never perceived him as being anywhere near as good as his brother.
Have you seen Shogun/Lil Nog? It's an ATG fight.

Just take a look at Nog's run leading into the Soko fight, and you'll get an idea of why it was so shocking. It is one of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

Also, I thought that Nog clearly beat Brilz. People were just surprised that Brilz did better than expected, and for that reason gave him rounds he didn't really win.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #74
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Have you seen Shogun/Lil Nog? It's an ATG fight.

Just take a look at Nog's run leading into the Soko fight, and you'll get an idea of why it was so shocking. It is one of the biggest upsets in MMA history.
I try not to infer things simply by looking at Wiki records. If I do, how am I going to know which of his opponents lost because they were shot, or injured, or green, or homesick, or just exposed as hype jobs?

Quote:
Also, I thought that Nog clearly beat Brilz. People were just surprised that Brilz did better than expected, and for that reason gave him rounds he didn't really win.
Yeah from what I remember of the fight, I had no particular expectations for it. I certainly wasn't approaching the fight from a "Little Nog is The MAN!" point of view. I just watched a fight between two men.

What I remember (and I watched it once, months ago), I was surprised at how well Britz was doing in the first. Then he just kept going. Nog seemed like he was having an off night and never really seemed to get anything going. Britz fought his heart out, give the best effort he could with his comparatively limited talent and seemed to really rise to the occasion, and then got screwed out of a deserved win.

Might have to go back and watch it again. But I remember at the time being disappointed for him because I viewed it as a flat out robbery, rather than a controversial decision that could have gone either way.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #75
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Just rewatched the fight. Sorry mate, Brilz won the fight.

When do you ever hear Joe Rogan tell a big name in MMA flat-out "You hear the crowd calling out 'Bull****' - did you think you lost the fight?" and then tell the loser "A lot of people, including myself, thought that you were gonna win the decision."

No disrespect to Little Nog - he doesn't fill out the scorecards - but Brilz fought his ass off and then got robbed. The only good thing about that decision was that Brilz accepted it with a lot of class and grace.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum