Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default thin neck

I have a thin neck. Something like 14 inches (35.56 cm). What are some ways i can do to thicken and strengthen the neck muscles? Any ideas ( preferably tried and true) are most welcome and i'll chose the one that suits me. Thank you in advance!
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: thin neck

Neck bridges but be careful, start slowly and warm up first.

Same goes for buying a neck harness and using that. Your neck is the last part of your body you want to injure
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutwire View Post
Neck bridges but be careful, start slowly and warm up first.

Same goes for buying a neck harness and using that. Your neck is the last part of your body you want to injure
Whats the best way to do them? Face down or up? been a long time since i wrestled..
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default Re: thin neck

Neck Harness is your friend. Bridges are more likely to cause injury and you cant progress each week with more resistance, so for that reason I reccomend the neck harness in multiple directions.

This is the one time a boxing athlete should use body building methods, yes you want a strong neck but you also want it to be as thick and big as possible like Tysons and Holyfields.

So do your reps to exhaustion each time and increase the weight a little each week over a long time, and eat enough, a muscular diet, not too much but enough to see gains.

For the rest of your body never lift to exhaustion / failure this will result in bodybuilding hypertrophy which dosnt add power and greatly taxes cardio.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,141
vCash: 1000
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
So do your reps to exhaustion each time and increase the weight a little each week over a long time, and eat enough, a muscular diet, not too much but enough to see gains.

For the rest of your body never lift to exhaustion / failure this will result in bodybuilding hypertrophy which dosnt add power and greatly taxes cardio.
I learn something new every day on this forum.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 346
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I learn something new every day on this forum.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 169
vCash: 550
Default Re: thin neck

My neck was even smaller then yours but I'm a pretty small framed guy to begin with. 12.5 ("what the ****!" I know).. originally.. After doing deadlifts and shrugs and bridges my neck has grown to 13 which is still small, but my head doesn't really snap back when i get hit and i'm not sure why, what my problem is my head really spins sideways when i get hit with a hook even if it's weak punch.
deadhead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

put a plate on your forehead and do neck ups with your head hanging off the edge of a bench, you can also do that exercise with a plate on the side of your head. also like already said you can do bridges for both the front and back, and a harness for the back. big traps will make your neck bigger too, i recently started deadlifting again and my traps are sore as hell, toss in some shrugs and youre good to go
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
put a plate on your forehead and do neck ups with your head hanging off the edge of a bench, you can also do that exercise with a plate on the side of your head. also like already said you can do bridges for both the front and back, and a harness for the back. big traps will make your neck bigger too, i recently started deadlifting again and my traps are sore as hell, toss in some shrugs and youre good to go
Roughly what size plate should i use? 10lb? reps or go til muscle failure?
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
My neck was even smaller then yours but I'm a pretty small framed guy to begin with. 12.5 ("what the ****!" I know).. originally.. After doing deadlifts and shrugs and bridges my neck has grown to 13 which is still small, but my head doesn't really snap back when i get hit and i'm not sure why, what my problem is my head really spins sideways when i get hit with a hook even if it's weak punch.
My guess is because your neck muscles are stronger. Only thing I can think of.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobboxer_88 View Post
Roughly what size plate should i use? 10lb? reps or go til muscle failure?
i started with a ten, im doing a 35 now for maybe 30-35 reps. dont go too heavy on them, work your way up slowly, and take my advice and warm up the back of your neck well before you do them, put a small towel or something on your forehead too unless you wanna be walking around with a big red circle on your forehead all day lol
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

In the long run, spending the time learning to avoid getting hit flush shots in the first place is your best bet.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: thin neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
In the long run, spending the time learning to avoid getting hit flush shots in the first place is your best bet.
Prepare for the worst hope for the best.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013