pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515
Default Re: Are Protein Shakes a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Care to substantiate that claim?
I really dont want to anymore.The debate on s&c got me nervous as hell.
If i have to explain this as well then it would better to shut down training forum.
Although i do agree 100 % right nutrition and foods are 1st.
pecho26 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
If i have to explain this as well then it would better to shut down training forum.
I'd suggest that you look beyond what the nutrition companies preach and you will soon realise that protein shakes are not necessary at all.

That said, I still get quite a lot of my high quality protein each day from shakes.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #48
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
I thought you said that you had a kinesiology degree and you're a S+C coach? You're obviously not or if you are then you're clueless if you claim protein shakes are a must.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #49
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I thought you said that you had a kinesiology degree and you're a S+C coach? You're obviously not or if you are then you're clueless if you claim protein shakes are a must.
To me they were a must cause my diet was not that good,cause of the financial situation,coulndt afford some things..I should have edited that post.
For your dissing part...think what u want.It doesnt really matter to me.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #50
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Instead of drinking a protein shake after my workout today, I decided to make a 3-egg omelette with 6 oz of tuna. Roughly 63 g of protein, plus another 12 g from milk. Although I did have a whey protein shake before I worked out, the meal I had after is what brought me up to my daily goal. If I understand correctly, getting the same amount of protein from whey after my workout would not have given me any benefits compared to the 75 g I got from the eggs, tuna, and milk, right? And if that's the case, is all that stuff about the fast-digesting properties of whey being beneficial all BS?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #51
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
To me they were a must cause my diet was not that good,cause of the financial situation,coulndt afford some things..I should have edited that post.
For your dissing part...think what u want.It doesnt really matter to me.
He was right in what he said. Saying they were a must for you in a specific situation is different to saying protein shakes are a must to anyone which is what you said previously.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Instead of drinking a protein shake after my workout today, I decided to make a 3-egg omelette with 6 oz of tuna. Roughly 63 g of protein, plus another 12 g from milk. Although I did have a whey protein shake before I worked out, the meal I had after is what brought me up to my daily goal. If I understand correctly, getting the same amount of protein from whey after my workout would not have given me any benefits compared to the 75 g I got from the eggs, tuna, and milk, right? And if that's the case, is all that stuff about the fast-digesting properties of whey being beneficial all BS?
Any decent pre-workout meal is going to pretty much cancel the urgency for an immediate PWO meal, unless you're training multiple times in a day.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
He was right in what he said. Saying they were a must for you in a specific situation is different to saying protein shakes are a must to anyone which is what you said previously.
To be frank,i have a lot of work in the area of nutrition.We didnt have it in university,dont ask my why cause i dont know. My all s&c "specialization" was God awful,if i didnt go and seek help afterwards at one good s&c gym with one of ours respected trainer,i wouldnt know a lot of stuff.
Dealth_with was right with the nutrition part.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Any decent pre-workout meal is going to pretty much cancel the urgency for an immediate PWO meal, unless you're training multiple times in a day.
I didn't have a pre-workout meal though. I ate a big lunch at noon, had some fruit/nuts for snacks in the late afternoon. Then I came home from work, had a whey shake (24g protein) and a banana around 7:30, and did my workout from 8:00-9:30. Yes, the meal I had was after my workout, but it just my dinner. I could've had it before I worked out but decided to eat it after. I read Alan Aragon's stuff on pre/during/post workout nutrition and how total daily intake is more important than timing. I was asking more about the fast-digesting properties of whey that most articles talk about, so not so much about timing of intake but more on the kind of protein and the effects of fast-digesting vs. slow-digesting.

To put it another way, regardless of whether it's taken pre or post-workout, would getting X amount of protein from whey have any benefits over getting the same amount of protein from food because of whey's fast-digesting properties? Or is that all marketing BS?

-Edit-
According to this guy, whey protein is superior to whole food protein.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYV60aV7RjU[/ame]

Thoughts?

Last edited by Brand NOOBian; 10-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #55
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I didn't have a pre-workout meal though. I ate a big lunch at noon, had some fruit/nuts for snacks in the late afternoon. Then I came home from work, had a whey shake (24g protein) and a banana around 7:30, and did my workout from 8:00-9:30. Yes, the meal I had was after my workout, but it just my dinner. I could've had it before I worked out but decided to eat it after. I read Alan Aragon's stuff on pre/during/post workout nutrition and how total daily intake is more important than timing. I was asking more about the fast-digesting properties of whey that most articles talk about, so not so much about timing of intake but more on the kind of protein and the effects of fast-digesting vs. slow-digesting.

To put it another way, regardless of whether it's taken pre or post-workout, would getting X amount of protein from whey have any benefits over getting the same amount of protein from food because of whey's fast-digesting properties? Or is that all marketing BS?

-Edit-
According to this guy, whey protein is superior to whole food protein.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thoughts?
So you did have a pre-workout meal?

No, doesn't really matter. However, it would depend on the quality of protein both from the food and they whey.

Also, Ian McCarthy certainly knows his stuff.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #56
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
So you did have a pre-workout meal?

No, doesn't really matter. However, it would depend on the quality of protein both from the food and they whey.

Also, Ian McCarthy certainly knows his stuff.
Well, I personally don't consider a protein shake and a banana a meal....Am I the only one who thinks this way?

By the time I got home from work, I still needed about 100g of protein to meet my daily goal. It was just easier for me to get that through the protein shake before working out and eating an actual meal after rather than the other way around or having it all at once.

And thanks for your input.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #57
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Well, I personally don't consider a protein shake and a banana a meal....Am I the only one who thinks this way?

By the time I got home from work, I still needed about 100g of protein to meet my daily goal. It was just easier for me to get that through the protein shake before working out and eating an actual meal after rather than the other way around or having it all at once.

And thanks for your input.
& that is absolutely fine, sir
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #58
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Also drinking protein shakes on a daily basis is bad for your kidneys and liver
Another myth
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #59
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Me Mick View Post
Also drinking protein shakes on a daily basis is bad for your kidneys and liver.
False. High protein diets can elevate markers for kidney problems, although the research is fairly conclusive that high protein diets of up to around 3g per KG are safe.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #60
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Me Mick View Post
Also drinking protein shakes on a daily basis is bad for your kidneys and liver.
You have proven who is a moron by this statement.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing