Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #121
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

So you're saying both of they're opponents were weak?
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #122
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
It would have been a close fight for sure. I agree that Jones' counter punching could have gotten to Joe, but both are great fighters and come to win. I think would have done much better than James Toney against Jones
Jones would have had to use some good foot movement to get in position to throw good counter hooks. Joe came pretty straight forward a lot, not head on, but not too much side to side. I can see Roy stepping either left or right and landing repeated double hooks either body-head or the reverse.

Joe liked to throw for a full three minutes and Roy was notorious for fighting in spots; then again he was so far ahead of his competition, he could afford to do so. Roy would need to hurt Joe early. He could conceivable drop him (after all the old version did) and go for the finish, but if he didn't Joe likely makes the last rounds ugly and tightens up the cards.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #123
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

The Roy Jones that Joe Calzaghe beat would of beat most light heavyweights today, including Chad Dawson.

Only Hopkins & Calzaghe would i pick over the shot jones.

There's Prime Roy Jones Junior, Shot Roy Jones Junior, and Shot to **** Roy Jones Junior.

Shot Roy Jones Junior was still to fast, and knew too much for most fighters.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #124
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
How about we debate why you are completely feather fisted with zero punch resistance? Seriously pal, thats an awful combination to have
Zing! A solid, but predictable debate tactic. You've managed to avoid the real challenge, and instead address a lesser challenge of your own choosing.

This is known as Calzagherean Theorum.
des3995 is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #125
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
It's worth pointing out Guru that Jones' loss to Calzaghe was sandwiched in between a 5 fight winning streak, where Jones had looked sharp against Hanshaw, Trinidad, Sheika then Lacy. Jones problems weren't with himself, they were with his opponent and Joe was electric that night
Roy Jones was a B level fighter when he fought Calzaghe... He had fallen below the elite level... Joe, though not peak, I still considered elite.. That was the difference in Jones' performances before and after Calzaghe.. They were also B or C level fighters, and some just as shot as Roy..

Roy didn't look sharp against Hanshaw IMO... and Hanshaw was a nobody, very close fight until the late knockdown... It still baffles me that Roy Jones Jr went life and death with a nobody.

Trinidad? I don't rate that win at all. Trinidad was a blown up true WW, and got whipped by Wright years before Roy fought him, and actually managed to beat Roy the first 3 rounds.. If not for the 2 knockdowns (very common in prime Trinidad fights) it would have actually been close.

Lacy was never very good, and was also shot... I think the Trinidad and Lacy fights would have had similar outcomes had they all been prime. Except i would pick Roy to KO Trinidad.

The key for Roy to show flashes of his old self, is making sure he is fighting fighters that are nobodies (which only works sometimes), or other shot fighters... Any time he is in with a live dog, you don't see old Roy so much. Which is exactly what Calzaghe was that night. Still an elite fighter, Roy wasn't.

Roy has not had a meaningful win since the first Tarver fight... Joe caught him quite a bit after that.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #126
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Yes, its the blinkered fanboys trying to de-rail the thread with pictures because the truth is still to raw for them to face. For the time being i will continue to let them bury their heads in the sand.
Calzaghe before Jones fight: P4P#2
Calzaghe after Jones fight: P4P#3

Have fun.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #127
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Roy Jones was a B level fighter when he fought Calzaghe... He had fallen below the elite level... Joe, though not peak, I still considered elite.. That was the difference in Jones' performances before and after Calzaghe.. They were also B or C level fighters, and some just as shot as Roy..

Roy didn't look sharp against Hanshaw IMO... and Hanshaw was a nobody, very close fight until the late knockdown... It still baffles me that Roy Jones Jr went life and death with a nobody.

Trinidad? I don't rate that win at all. Trinidad was a blown up true WW, and got whipped by Wright years before Roy fought him, and actually managed to beat Roy the first 3 rounds.. If not for the 2 knockdowns (very common in prime Trinidad fights) it would have actually been close.

Lacy was never very good, and was also shot... I think the Trinidad and Lacy fights would have had similar outcomes had they all been prime. Except i would pick Roy to KO Trinidad.

The key for Roy to show flashes of his old self, is making sure he is fighting fighters that are nobodies (which only works sometimes), or other shot fighters... Any time he is in with a live dog, you don't see old Roy so much. Which is exactly what Calzaghe was that night. Still an elite fighter, Roy wasn't.

Roy has not had a meaningful win since the first Tarver fight... Joe caught him quite a bit after that.

In all fairness mate, that's a quality post, I pretty much agree with all of it
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #128
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
Jones would have had to use some good foot movement to get in position to throw good counter hooks. Joe came pretty straight forward a lot, not head on, but not too much side to side. I can see Roy stepping either left or right and landing repeated double hooks either body-head or the reverse.

Joe liked to throw for a full three minutes and Roy was notorious for fighting in spots; then again he was so far ahead of his competition, he could afford to do so. Roy would need to hurt Joe early. He could conceivable drop him (after all the old version did) and go for the finish, but if he didn't Joe likely makes the last rounds ugly and tightens up the cards.

I think stylistically Peak Jones, 94-96 ish would be all wrong for Calzghe.. Calzaghe would take too much punishment.. And his big heart, would ultimately be his undoing. Joe fought fire with fire... Roy was faster with more firepower.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #129
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
I am pretty sure we have come to the same agreement in the past.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #130
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
I am pretty sure we have come to the same agreement in the past.

By the way, if Hopkins and Jones had rematched in 2002 at 168, do you think it would have been much different to their first fight?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #131
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Roy has been past it since the first Tarver fight actually, Joe caught him four years after that. It requires zero brains and knowledge of the sport in depth to know this fact. Calzaghe his self admitted to his own son that Jones is not the same anymore.

The rest of this post is NOT directed at you(Mind Reader), it's to the general contributors of this hilarious trash-infested thread.

----

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Connor was sobbing 'dad, he is amazing' and I tried to reassure him 'don't worry son, Jones isn't that good anymore.'

If that's not good enough, let's hear Calzaghe speak of Roy Jones his self prior to this fight.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDtzdAYTOA[/ame]

6:30 - 7:10

This thread and the trolling involved here is hilarious, cute and all of that crap. Hopefully this post would literally kill the trolls into a different method of cheap, free, bored and lifeless e-hilarity.

Enjoy your weekends and good day to all.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #132
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5005

Quote:

Goo pos

Quote:
Same here.
des3995 is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #133
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:

By the way, if Hopkins and Jones had rematched in 2002 at 168, do you think it would have been much different to their first fight?
I think it would have been the same kind of score... 116-112 across the board for Jones.. But it may have looked a little different... Both were much smarter, with slightly slower work rates. Hopkins was a bit of a slow starter at that point..

I think Roy would have done enough in the first 8 or 9 rounds, though highly competitive, would be able to cruise the last few rounds. Probably would have been a stinker to the average fight fan, but took a true appreciator of the sweet science to enjoy.

Shame it didn't happen, would have been a classic chess match.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #134
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

[quote]=Scar;14072836]Roy has been past it since the first Tarver fight actually, Joe caught him four years after that. [/quote]

I agree, Jones was declining rapidly since dropping from Heavyweight. But I still considered him an elite LHW when Tarver decked him out. Sure he was not the same as he was, throwing one shot at a time, legs getting slower, reflexes not as sharp ect.. but he was still the best, and would have cruised to an easy UD IMO, if not for the perfectly timed punch by Tarver..

That punch slam ducked an aging Jones into being shot... It was too much of a setback at too old an age for a fighter like Roy to overcome.

In all fairness to Tarver, he knocked out a still very good Jones.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #135
timeout
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Roy wasnt at his peak.

But Calzaghe took him apart for 11 rds.

Another great post from the Team Elite generaL!
timeout is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum